Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I don't own a 9mm. My wife does. I did, in the form of a Taurus 917c, which was traded for my commander sized 1911 in 45ACP. I've been thinking about a 9mm carry piece like my wife's 709 Slim, but find that I'm just not impressed by the way any of the options look. Why don't they make a 9mm on a Walther PP/PPK frame, or a Bersa Thunder frame? The difference between 9mm and .380 is only 2mm in length. I think a Bersa Thunder in 9mm on the .380 frame would look fantastic! Heck, Walther produced their PP in 9mm Mak (9x18), so why not 9mm Luger (9x19)? Is there a Walther PPKesque gun out there chambered in 9mm Luger?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
So, I don't own a 9mm. My wife does. I did, in the form of a Taurus 917c, which was traded for my commander sized 1911 in 45ACP. I've been thinking about a 9mm carry piece like my wife's 709 Slim, but find that I'm just not impressed by the way any of the options look. Why don't they make a 9mm on a Walther PP/PPK frame, or a Bersa Thunder frame? The difference between 9mm and .380 is only 2mm in length. I think a Bersa Thunder in 9mm on the .380 frame would look fantastic! Heck, Walther produced their PP in 9mm Mak (9x18), so why not 9mm Luger (9x19)? Is there a Walther PPKesque gun out there chambered in 9mm Luger?
It isn't just the cartridge length. The .380s you refer to are blowback actions. That doesn't work well at the 9mm pressure levels. The recoil spring has to be ungodly strong. It takes some form of locked breech action, and hence a larger gun for most 9mm applications. The PP design does not have the needed room for a locked breech within its envelope..
The good news is the Springfield XDS. Or, look around for a S&W 908/3913 ls-nl. Not much bigger than a Walther.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You could try the Ruger LC9.I like my S&W shield.It is not as thin as I would like but it does what I need it to.

·
22,058 Posts
You could try the Ruger LC9.
Fired it recently. Didn't hate it or anything, but I sure didn't like it. If I had to go to the smallest possible non-709 9mm, I'd probably go with a Springfield EMP or a Sig 938. The 938 is a bit smaller, the EMP preserves the goodness of the 1911 line more accurately.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I just changed the front sight on my Kahr PM9 (from stock dot to Meprolight tritium) so now it's ready for carry duty. You can pick up a CM9 for pretty cheap nowadays since Kahr came out with some newer 2014 models.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Kahr CM9 as said above, or CW9 if you prefer a larger, but still very concealable grip. Great DAO triggers, good sights, impeccable fit and finish, and reliable. I carry a CW45 everyday.
See my targets in the Firing Line section of the forum - the TA monthly pistol shootout. The 709 and Kahr CW9 perform just fine and there are a WHOLE lot of other great choices to look at before writing the group off as unworthy.

I would not look to reinvent the 9mm semi auto until I had a REALLY good crawl through the extensive ( possibly the largest category of caliber-specific pistols in existence) offerings currently available in 9mm.

Just my my humble opinion of course...

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I would vote for the Shield. My experience with the .40 S&W version has been outstanding - even with arthritic fingers. Oh, and it conceals like a charm, too!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Because to have a 9mm straight blowback, you would need something that looks like . . . .

$150 and this top heavy, low capacity, holster hog can be yours!!!

Hey, I grew up just around the company - great 'truck guns' - beaters. Dependable and lifetime warranty but not at the he top of the class.

Their $300 pistol caliber carbines are my 'stalemate' to building an AR platform pistol caliber carbine...

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
SCCY 9MM.....I really like mine....the Second generations are fine firearms ...
I love my SCCY CPX-1 2nd gen. I bought it in 2/2014 from Davidson's Gun Genie for under $282 after tax and fees. I carried it when I could not carry the PT145 in the summer time. I will get the CPX-2 soon because I love these little guns so much. This is my CPX-1 with the Limbsaver 12013:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
You asked and you shall received....well, if you order. Makarov (which is a Walther clone itself) clones in 9mm.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/s...pped-polish-p-83-9mm-makarov-240-shipped.html

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Has anyone thought about Kel-Tec, their P11 is a small double stack 9x19 and their PF9 is a single stack 9x19.
I had a P11 for years and it worked perfectly. They have heavy triggers because they cock the hammers springs but that you can get used to that.

·
22,058 Posts
You asked and you shall received....well, if you order. Makarov (which is a Walther clone itself) clones in 9mm.
If you order and you are okay with ballistics that barely beat .380ACP.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Give the Bersa Thunder UC Pro in .45ACP a good look and you will forget all about that 9 mm....

Bersa Thunder .45 - 002.jpg

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Has anyone thought about Kel-Tec, their P11 is a small double stack 9x19 and their PF9 is a single stack 9x19.
I had a P11 for years and it worked perfectly. They have heavy triggers because they cock the hammers springs but that you can get used to that.
Another two good options. I have the PF9 and it was my EDC for a few years and I still carry it a few times a month. It disappears under anything in its Comp-Tac Minotaur Spartan IWB rig. It is also disturbingly accurate and mine has been reliable. The PF9 has a trigger pull about 1/2 weight of the P11 and while not as fantastic as my Kahr, I find it to be very usable.

On the P11, a college buddy of mine had one, he was an idiot and didn't know much about guns. He would shoot with me maybe once a month or so. He fed his P11 nothing but Tula steel case and cleaned it twice in the two years I knew him. I never saw the P11 malfunction, it just soldiered on in an incredibly dirty state with great reliability. Even though I don't need one, I will add one to my collection some day. Very underrated firearm in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts