Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was planning to start loading 9mm using unique powder to have a decent practice load using a powder I can use for practically everything I load for. Unique seems to be pretty universal in loadings in readily available powders. I currently load 124gr cast, 147gr cast and 124gr plated. Does anyone have any favorite loads using unique and these weights to try. I am going to be using the lyman and sierra loading manuals for reference.

Thanks in advance any input is welcome.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,938 Posts
Unique has not been the best powder for my nines, but if you are looking across multiple calibers, it is probably as good as others.

So far LongShot has been the most accurate out of my autoloading Tauri with 5” barrels. I’m still experimenting with shorter Tauri barrels and other brands of autoloading hand guns.

YMMV

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Unique works fantastic in +P loads with a 115 JHP, but not sure about plinker loads. It's a little dirty for that, I suspect.

Reactions: YOT

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
BTW, in 9mm light loads, I shoot B'eye.

Reactions: JStacy and jwc007

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Trust your Lyman manual.

As Native Texan said, it (ETA: meaning "UNIQUE") is really great for higher pressure/velocity loads, but for plinkers, use Bullseye, it probably will NOT fill your case, but you can definitely tell if there is a double load in there. Both powders are great for cast lead loads.

·
Administrator
17,799 Posts
A very very long time ago, when I first got my PT92, I used a Target load with a 124 grain Cast Flat Point over 4.5 grains of Unique. This load also worked well in a Glock 19. Unfortunately, it did not knock down Steel Pepper Poppers well and had to be bumped up to 4.7 grains. Load a 124 grain Bullet to 1050 fps and that should work very well. Can't speak to the 147 grain Cast, as I've never used a Cast Bullet in that weight.

These days I run a Berry's Plated 124 grain Flat Point over 4.8 grains of WST for 1130 fps in most every 9mm Pistol I own.

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
From 4" barrel S&W SD9VE & GLOCK 19

Magnus 124 gr hard cast + 5.8 grs Unique = 1,150 - 1,180 FPS

Magnus 147 gr hard cast + 4.3 grs Unique = 940 - 950 FPS

Unique has been around since 1899 and is one of my favorite all round powders but is dirty and smokey in indoor ranges.

I like AA#2 which has a burn rate equal to Bullseye, but burns a lot cleaner than Unique.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have yet to find a better powder for 9mm than BE-86. It's also my best powder for 40 cal and 38 Superb.

edit: Looked through my database, I'll add 38 Special and 45 Auto to that list. Of all the powders I've tested BE-86 is the most highlighted "best" in every caliber except 357 Mag and 32 Auto

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I totally understand your goal is to use the powders you have on hand to develop a range round in 9mm. Most reloaders love to recommend their favorite powder that make the greatest round, but that's not what you asked for.

In you case, use Unique with the reloading manual guidelines. I'm sure you can find a decent range load. It may not be the very best load that can be made, but it your load will be a good range load using Unique.

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
The only knock on Unique I have is that in shorter barreled handguns, I've had issues with unburned powder ending up on my hands and arms. It's a mid-range burning powder, and quite frankly faster burning powders (of which there are many) work better in the shorter barreled pistolas.

If you still decide to use Unique, a good taper crimp may help the situation. I don't know for sure, because I stopped using it after that, but you could sure give it a try if you experience the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
how does bulls eye fill the case never used it . Have been using true blue lately for all my loads
Fills it nicely with no problem of compressed loads. Unique can run out of room in a 9mm case.

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I seem to find unique every where so If I ever have a powder issue should be able to pick it up. for some reason I have to search to find hp-38 which is another one I load with. next powder order Im most likly going to order 4lbs of true blue and call it a day so far it has been my favorite powder up to now in loading 357mag and 9mm loads.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I like Unique, yes it's not the cleanest but it been around over a century for some reason. I try not to load too soft but still keep it down for plinking loads. I think the lower the load the dirtier.
For my defense loads I use Longshot.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
I like Alliant powders (formerly Hercules) They always seem to be in stock at the gun shop (barring political interference) and unique works in many of my calibers I load for should I need SOMEthing and it's my choice for certain applications like my +P carry loads in 9x19 I mentioned. I keep other powders for other applications, but Unique can usually sub in a pinch. It's my fave for .45 colt plinker loads. I like the dirtiness, almost like shooting holy black without the mess...:rofl: More importantly, it works well with the cast 255 grain bullet I load and is quite accurate. :D Some newer powders may improve on it in certain applications, but try to find them on the shelf when you get another Obama in the white house (parish the thought).

It's not the only versatile powder that I'll substitute for some calibers. During the great Obama ammo drought, I had a hard time finding 2400 and bought several powders that substitute such as WW296 and Li'l Gun. In all honesty, 296 or Li'l Gun work better anyway, but my old load of 2400 is just sorta traditional with me. :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
I use Unique for all my 9mm, .380 acp, .45 acp and .45 Colt loads. It is a bit dirty but it runs my copper plated 147 grain cartridges through all my training guns including the Colt smg without fail. My 1911 runs 200 grain flat nose Polymers through all training and classes flawlessly with it as do my smaller .380's and the Ingram Mac 11 smg with Polymer round nose. As I said; it is a bit dirty but then I clean my weapons after they are used so what matters it?

I think Unique is a great powder.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I stocked up on Unique long ago and use it for just about all my handgun loading. A partial 4 pound jug sits under my bench. When I need powder I reach down and there it is.
So far it has worked fine for all my 9mm loads. I'm settling on the Lee 124 grain Tumble Lube design with 4.X grains of Unique.
I'm a bullet caster. I tweak my projectiles more than my powders and that pays off greater for me. For instance, I get better accuracy if I size that 124 grain cast bullet to .358 rather than the usual .356 that is the norm for 9mm.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I use several bullets124 gr for the 9mm. Loads range from 4.8 to 5.2 grain Unique. The 4.8 is ACME coated and 5.2 is Everglades Ammo FMJHP. Both accurate and run well. The Everglades is around 1100 fps. I've not checked the ACME on the chrony. Great groups out to 25 yards with my 4.6" on Canik P120.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts