Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have been working on a handload for my compact 9mm for my wife to start carrying. I have been using a 147gr berrys hhp but so far the loads a little snappy in my ec9s for my wife. I have seen hornday makes some light recoil 9mm ammo in 100gr. Was thinking of picking up some 100gr hhp and 124gr hhp and trying some loads out with them to see if I can get one she shoots well and can handle for training. Has anyone loaded any 100gr or 124gr in 9mm nad have any loads they recommend?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Federal makes a nifty 115 JHP that is not too snappy on recoil. Or you could buy a Gold Dot and load it to suit yourself. I wouold think Unique or some mid-range powder would be less "felt recoil". Stay away from "fast " powders, Bullseye, for example.

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
8,545 Posts
I am always tinkering around with lighter, but still accurate loads for 9mm. You are correct that 147grn pill will be snappy, due to bullet weight. I haven't chrono'd any of my handloads so take this for what its worth. I have one 124grn HP handload, using Xtreme plated HP's. Now the manuf advises this bullet is not for SD purposes. But federal loaded the same bullet for decades in its early shok ammo.

9mm Xtreme 124grn CPHP using titegroup loaded at 4.4 grns with a COL of 1.12. That is the only HP I have loaded, as I use factory ammo for most of my SD. No suggestions there for you, I like hot loads either close to +P or at +P. But for the thousands of rounds I practice with, I load to about 75% of factory ammo power factor. Which the above 124grn HP is loaded to. Hopefully someone will chime in who routinely handloads their SD ammo.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am always tinkering around with lighter, but still accurate loads for 9mm. You are correct that 147grn pill will be snappy, due to bullet weight. I haven't chrono'd any of my handloads so take this for what its worth. I have one 124grn HP handload, using Xtreme plated HP's. Now the manuf advises this bullet is not for SD purposes. But federal loaded the same bullet for decades in its early shok ammo.

9mm Xtreme 124grn CPHP using titegroup loaded at 4.4 grns with a COL of 1.12. That is the only HP I have loaded, as I use factory ammo for most of my SD. No suggestions there for you, I like hot loads either close to +P or at +P. But for the thousands of rounds I practice with, I load to about 75% of factory ammo power factor. Which the above 124grn HP is loaded to. Hopefully someone will chime in who routinely handloads their SD ammo.

I just had a epiphany now that you mentioned titegroup that I have a load I use with lead bullets that may work. It has one of the softest recoils I have felt and the groups were about 1 -2 inches at 10 yards just leaving ragged holes. Have not loaded it in a while because I still have a few hundred loaded already. I wonder how bad the muzzle flash is at night, would have to test it. The load is at the middle of the hodgdon load data may need to adjust the oal if the flash is good. I also have a cfe load for lead that can work which is at the low end of the powder charge and has basically no flash.

9mm

124gr
Oal 1.150
Titegroup

3.9 gr

9mm
124gr plated berry
Cfe pistol 5.0gr
1.050 oal

·
Registered
342 Posts
Since perceived recoil is a result of power factor (regardless of bullet weight or powder burn rate), faster powders are the best way (in my experience) to achieve both reliable function and low recoil. My absolute favorite powder-puff 9mm round is a coated 115RN pushed by 3 grains of Hodgdon Clays. These are low velocity (900-910fps range) so this load probably wouldn't do very well using a hollow point for SD but would make a great load to work up from. I'd recommend also testing out a 90 grain or 115 grain XTP to find a light recoiling load that would be best for training and carry.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far I have settled on using 124gr hp from everglades ammunition. Now I have 3 powders which I have my eyes on which are tite group, True Blue, and CFE pistol. They all have different burn rates so thinking of loading some of each and trying them out. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
So far I have settled on using 124gr hp from everglades ammunition. Now I have 3 powders which I have my eyes on which are tite group, True Blue, and CFE pistol. They all have different burn rates so thinking of loading some of each and trying them out. What does everyone think?
I have been using Ramshot Silhouette which is very close to the same powder as True Blue. I believe the Silhouette is flash suppressed. Anyways I have been using that powder with both 115gr and 124gr plated bullets with fine results in both my PT92C and my wife's XD Mod2. With the 124gr bullets I have been loading it with 4.9gr of powder. I like the powder so much that last trip to the store I bought 2 more pounds. Instead of Titegroup I have been using AA#2. I believe it is a little less volatile than the Titegroup.

This Silhouette has been working for me in 380, 9mm and 45acp. Uses a little bit more than HP-38 or AA#2 but has been very consistent and accurate. True Blue may just be worth a shot.

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been using Ramshot Silhouette which is very close to the same powder as True Blue. I believe the Silhouette is flash suppressed. Anyways I have been using that powder with both 115gr and 124gr plated bullets with fine results in both my PT92C and my wife's XD Mod2. With the 124gr bullets I have been loading it with 4.9gr of powder. I like the powder so much that last trip to the store I bought 2 more pounds. Instead of Titegroup I have been using AA#2. I believe it is a little less volatile than the Titegroup.

This Silhouette has been working for me in 380, 9mm and 45acp. Uses a little bit more than HP-38 or AA#2 but has been very consistent and accurate. True Blue may just be worth a shot.
You know what I forgot last month when I bought my 4lbs of true blue I also bought a pound of silhouette to try. Will defintely give it a shot also. Ordered a 500 box of bullets from everglades which should come in the end of this week or beginning this week. Have heard good stuff about silhouette.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you ever chronograph that load? what is the COAL you use?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Wish I had access to a chrono. and a place to use it.

With a 124gr RN Berry's or Xtreme I'm loading them to 1.155" and with the Berry's Flat Point 124gr I'm loading to 1.060".. Then before I started with the AA#2 the only load I found to work well with a 100gr Xtreme 380 was with the Silhouette. The HP-38 looked more like a shotgun pattern.

I also use a lot of HP-38 in the 9mm. I wanted a bit slower powder and at the time I found the Western Powder labels had the most comprehensive listing of load data for plated bullets. Also we do a lot of shooting indoors and this powder is flash suppressed and listed as one of the selling points. Honestly, the first time we shot this indoors we could immediately notice a difference in the air quality.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Hello everyone, I have been working on a handload for my compact 9mm for my wife to start carrying. I have been using a 147gr berrys hhp but so far the loads a little snappy in my ec9s for my wife. I have seen hornday makes some light recoil 9mm ammo in 100gr. Was thinking of picking up some 100gr hhp and 124gr hhp and trying some loads out with them to see if I can get one she shoots well and can handle for training. Has anyone loaded any 100gr or 124gr in 9mm nad have any loads they recommend?

thanks in advance
ahh well nothing wrong with trying a few factory loads.
Hornady Critical Defense is a pretty low recoil (less power) and low flash ammo.
Myself I would suggest looking at maybe a 115 grain all copper hollow point for reloading and try that.
Copper Projectiles are longer than regular projectiles of the same weight so they are already a little lighter loads, but they are very good at expansion and accuracy due to the material and the longer projectiles.
if you want to try a factory copper load look at Fiocchi extrema all copper HP. its a non Plus P 92 grain projectile and along the line of the old hydra-shok design.
its only made in 9 MM and works wonderfully out of all my 9 MM weapons .very fairly priced as well!
of course Barnes is the place to begin looking-- and yea they are more expensive per projectile.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I was working up a load for Win231 and 124gr Extreme Plated. My wife liked the 4.2 and 4.3 gr loads, COAL of 1.150. Out of my Glock 17, we were sometimes putting the bullet through the same hole at 7 and 10 yards. The S&W Shield favored the 4.3gr, however, I have only about 200 down the pipe in it, and it's still tight.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ok the powder I use supplies a low means and a high I suggest if your powder does working with the low and adding 5% working up to a load she likes about the only thing that can be done load 5 at High the 5 at low do a few of 5 each between IE example only 4.9 grains is high so 5 of those low is 3.9 so 5 of those then the math adding .05% as you work up. Hope this makes ya a good load as well as being understandable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts