Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm looking for people thoughts and idears on NON +P 9mm defense loads?

I'm looking at getting some Hornady Critical Duty loads; maybe 146 gr

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
:r_c:Even though ammo makers have made great technological advances in bullet design there still remains no "Magic Bullets". If there were every law enforcement agency and military would be using them, their makers would be rich, and all the other companies would be bankrupt.

Today's premium brands perform about the same on the street. So I always recommend that one carry's what one shoots the best in their particular gun.

Presently my PT-111's are stuffed with Winchester 147 gr. Personal Protection (USA9JHP2).

Why?

Because they were on sale at Wally World and are as accurate as any other load I've tried.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been shooting all different brands and weight of FMJ loads. I'm not afraid to use a clip of quality defense loads to see how they perform through my pistol....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Federal HST 147gr. Link below is not the reason, but it is a nice illustration. There are a lot of tests that put this round in high regard, to include FBI testing IIRC.
Bullet results after firing

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I have 3 - 9mms that serve at various times SD/HD so the picture can be complex but I can load to each gun's strength and also buy a round (3 actually) that are well suited to all. I find 124, 125 gr rounds the prevailing bullet with 147 in competition. I'm phasing 115 out of anything but practice rounds.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I agree with MOONDAWG ---- whatever functions 100% in your particular pistol.

Having said that, Speer Gold Dots in 124 grain standard pressure have an excellent track record.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I agree with others, get a modern round and test it in "Your" gun. Find one that hits POA and functions 100% for you. I would also recommend trying a few other brands, just to be sure they function as well. With ammo being hard to find having options is good.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Well I'm looking for people thoughts and idears on NON +P 9mm defense loads?
I'm looking at getting some Hornady Critical Duty loads; maybe 146 gr
well on the same page as the others, really any modern design self defense round will do the job if you put it in the correct place on target.
I carried and used 124 grain in the 9MM for years.
But in the last say 2 years I found Fiocchi EMB (expanding mono block) solid copper rounds.
as the projectile is solid copper (generally considered the premiere material currently)-Barnes uses this material in their top line defense rounds, its non plus p, produces about 1300 FPS out of a 4 inched barrel 9M, has a bit over 400 ft pounds of energy, and best of all runs about 26-28 dollars for a box of 50.
as its not a jacketed round it maintains 100% of its weight in almost every situation, and as its copper it has controlled exapnsion and penetration rates with out needing to be bonded, it makes a very nasty looking little projectile after exapnsion.
its 92 grain and smoking coming out the barrel at that speed, recoil is extremely light for repeat shots.
thats what i use now in all 4 of my 9MM, from 3 inch barrel to 5 inch barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you are going to go with Hornady then get their Critical DEFENSE rounds, not Critical DUTY. The Critical Duty are cop loads that have extra hard barrier penetration which you should not need unless you plan on shooting through car doors. They sacrifice some expansion ability for extra penetration. I personally prefer Speer Gold Dot, they have a superb street reputation in actual shootings.

Reactions: TXEric

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Glaser Safety Slug 9mm Silver. Yes they are expensive, and no I do not practice with them often, but they function in all my guns every bit as well as FMJ rounds, my PT 111 has had hang ups with some but not all hollow points as have my wife's XD. Also they do not over penetrate, or go through dry wall, important to me as most of my walls are just that.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Actually a good quality pellet gun will shoot through a sheetrock wall, after all its gypsum!
this is why one should be concerned with penetration if the gun is shot inside the house for protection, theres not a lot of things other than bodies that will slow the projectile down in a homes construction now days.

·
Registered
179 Posts
as of right now Ive usedfor my 9mm ppu ammo which i had jamming then i have Aguila ammo gonna start shooting it soon and I got american eagle!!my fiance he perfers american eagle or federal brands he has a 40!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts