Taurus Firearm Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
Right before all this mess, I got a 1000 round case of Sellier & Bellot 124 gr FMJ for $179.00 with free shipping.

I guess I will have to wait awhile for those prices again?

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
50 Posts
Average online prices I've seen for just about any range ammo including 9mm, 38spl, 40S&W, etc is around $40-$44 per box of 50 rounds.
I was fine with my LGS when we purchased the 856UL and paying $20.99 for 50rd boxes of 38spl range ammo. No way could find that deal online including shipping.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes it is FMJ.. then again it's just for target shooting. We never get to see any hollow point types of ammo.
I don't shoot anything except FMJ ....considering it's been the military's killing round the world over for over 100 years, it amazes me that folks will pay inflated prices for "exotic" ammo and turn their nose up at FMJ. Y'all buy that fancy stuff....target acquisition and shot control is what's important, not just what comes out the pointy end. And that "just for target shooting" stuff is cheaper... It worked for my grandad in WW I, for my dad in WW II, Korea, and Vietnam; for me both tours in Vietnam, and for my son in Somalia....and it'll work when EOTWAWKI again...

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I have more 9mm than I could shoot in ten years.
HMM??
sounds like you need to get out and shoot a lot more than what you are currently.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I don't shoot anything except FMJ ....considering it's been the military's killing round the world over for over 100 years, it amazes me that folks will pay inflated prices for "exotic" ammo and turn their nose up at FMJ. Y'all buy that fancy stuff....target acquisition and shot control is what's important, not just what comes out the pointy end. And that "just for target shooting" stuff is cheaper... It worked for my grandad in WW I, for my dad in WW II, Korea, and Vietnam; for me both tours in Vietnam, and for my son in Somalia....and it'll work when the EOTWAWKI again...
yea but its kinda ,sorta due to that treaty thang!
not a choice the (Most) personnel in the Foxhole or leaders would use IF they had a choice, actually most countries (especially the USA) fudges as much as possible for other exotic projectiles.
also a fmj bouncing around the battel ground and hitting more targets is alright, not so much with a civilian hitting bystanders or the little kid walking out the front door of the Walmart down the street, but hey we all got our feelings.
myself make mine a expanding point projectile with really nasty sharp petals to cut arteries and organs.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
yea but its kinda ,sorta due to that treaty thang!
not a choice the (Most) personnel in the Foxhole or leaders would use IF they had a choice, actually most countries (especially the USA) fudges as much as possible for other exotic projectiles.
also a fmj bouncing around the battel ground and hitting more targets is alright, not so much with a civilian hitting bystanders or the little kid walking out the front door of the Walmart down the street, but hey we all got our feelings.
myself make mine a expanding point projectile with really nasty sharp petals to cut arteries and organs.
Curiously, in Great Britain, it's illegal to hunt with FMJ ammo. Hunters have to use expanding ammo but it is only available to those who have their licences 'condition' for deer stalking or fox control. Some pen pusher, years ago, deemed that expanding ammo was too dangerous for anyone other than those who hunted. Personally I'd rather not be around if someone goes off half cock on the streets with a gun containing FMJ.. you never know who will cop one.

(As an aside to the above, when I did three tours of duty in Northern Ireland in the 70's there were parts of some cities where we were warned off shooting at anything for fear the FMJ 7.62 Nato round would go through house walls.. and they did..!!)

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
IT differs greatly depending on the State, remember this is one huge country , many areas are heavily populated, others no so much, you can hunt densely wooded areas, prairies or even long distant shooting out west, animal size also differs.
Here (Georgia) yes you must use a expanding point projectile, a Pistol if used must produce 500 FT LBS of energy at the muzzle (Basically a 357 mag with a 6 inch barrel or more power) and still use an expanding point projectile, and of course we have listed GAME animals and other that are considered non Game---basically pest!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
IT differs greatly depending on the State, remember this is one huge country , many areas are heavily populated, others no so much, you can hunt densely wooded areas, prairies or even long distant shooting out west, animal size also differs.
Here (Georgia) yes you must use a expanding point projectile, a Pistol if used must produce 500 FT LBS of energy at the muzzle (Basically a 357 mag with a 6 inch barrel or more power) and still use an expanding point projectile, and of course we have listed GAME animals and other that are considered non Game---basically pest!
Pistols only here for humane dispatch, and they are limited to 1 or two shots. Rifles, for deer, must produce 1700 ft lbs and cannot be less than .243, with the exception of Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer which, respectively, are the size of a Beagle and Cocker Spaniel. They can be shot with .223. Most 'pests' here are taken out with a .22LR (rabbits) or shotgun, crows, rooks, pigeon etc. Nice to know my 669 is handgun hunter friendly..!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Get ready to assume the brace position because this thread is a train wreck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not only that, if you want to practice/train with your EDC you have to unload all the HP from the magazines, load up the FMJs, and hopefully you unloaded all the FMJs with your trigger finger, then reload the mags with the HPs. Some even use the HPs for target shooting. I might shoot 1 mag with the HPs just cause I heard it's a good thing to do, but I like your idea. I mean 2 to the center mass and 1 to the head should work just fine with the FMJs in my EDCs..

·
Super Moderator
34,953 Posts
I shoot good hunting bullets, myself, in hunting ammo. I carry JHP in self defense ammo. I'm not willing to lose a game animal because I was too cheap to buy appropriate bullets for my handloads and I want expansion in my self defense ammo

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Sellers are all taking advantage of the ammunition shortage at the expense of the average shooter

FMJ often now sells at the price premium defense ammo. Premium defense ammo usually sells for $1.60 to $3.00 rounds per round.

That is unacceptable.

Ammo hoarding only aggregates the problem and keeps prices high.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Sellers are all taking advantage of the ammunition shortage at the expense of the average shooter

FMJ often now sells at the price premium defense ammo. Premium defense ammo usually sells for $1.60 to $3.00 rounds per round.

That is unacceptable.

Ammo hoarding only aggregates the problem and keeps prices high.
True ammo hoarders buy when times are normal and prices are low to help balance out the times ammo is hard to find.
These hard times happen nearly every 3 to 4 years, particularly before elections, but fear is a big motivator.

I consider myself an ammo hoarder, although in all of last year, I only bought a 100 round value pack if .380 hollow points.

This year, the only ammo I have bought is defensive ammo in .410 as I added a firearm requiring that new caliber/bore.

Finding the .410 defensive ammo at reasonable prices took about 6 weeks to do, and I passed over 9 mm, 45 acp, 38 spec/.357 mag., .22 rimfire and other ammo I have firearms for, at reasonable prices just because I already had enough and wanted to leave ammo for others.

Ammo resellers are different than ammo hoarders. In my excursions to actual big box stores to locate the .410 ammo I desired, I encountered both....even offered a box or two of ammo to a couple of folks who really seemed to feel a need to get some ammo for self defense and found others who admitted they had plenty but wanted more.

Hopefully, we will get past this current ammo shortage and folks who haven't been through an ammo crisis before will be able to build up ammo stocks for the future. Lots of fear in the ammo market today, more than I've ever seen in the past.

You can't change human nature, greed and fear will always be around. All you can do is try to be prepared and never get caught on the short end again.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I am sure a lot of people would consider me a Ammo Hoarder as i normally have around 6000 rounds of centerfire ammo, about 4-500 rounds of 12 gauge ammo and maybe as much as 2000 rounds of 22 LR.
but thats my usual stock , it really never changes by much and virtually none of the centerfire pistol or rifle ammo is store bought.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
LOL- yeah considering I don't even have a 9mm pistol anymore. I convert my Glock 23 to 9mm every once in a while to let the women train. LOL
.....good for you.

I'll assume that was supposed to be a joke.....but you seem to be the only one laughing.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts