Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
In preparation for war ?
Not really war prep but more out of fear of the breakdown of civil society. This time we have actual examples we can point at that are happening so that ramps up the fear. Add to that all the first time gun buyers and the supply is being stripped away at a breakneck pace.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Near me, Winchester 115gr FMJ is about $28 for a 100 round box.

I had stopped in a LGS I frequent, and a lot of people were walking out with 2 boxes as that's the stores limit.

Maloy

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That works out to about 35 cents a round.
A year ago that would be a pretty high price, but today that's a good deal.
Here in the U.S., the price of guns and ammo have jumped once because of Covid, and then again when the riots started and our stupid city politicians decided to defund the police. Lots of novices that use to be anti-gun, are buying their first gun (they're so cute).
Now I can't find 9mm anywhere in the stores, and online it's going for 60 to 80 cents a round (if they have any in stock).
Glad I stocked up when it was 18 to 25 cents a round.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bought 300 rounds online yesterday at roughly .26 cents per round USD with free shipping. I say roughly because one was a 200 pack and the other was a 100 round pack. The price for each was slightly different per round.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LGS has WWB 9 MM for 16.99 per 50 rounds with no limit. That's up a buck or so from a few weeks ago. Their ammo shelves are full of 9 MM and 5.56/.223 and they have a rack of .22's. Anything else they have but you have to ask for it.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
That price isn't as absurd as I would have thought. 200 rounds is absurd though. :D I can go through 100 rounds in about 15 minutes at the range, I'd need much more than that. But, that's why I reload.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That price isn't as absurd as I would have thought. 200 rounds is absurd though. :D I can go through 100 rounds in about 15 minutes at the range, I'd need much more than that. But, that's why I reload.
So would I if I could have it..

But even reloading I'd be bound by the amounts permitted on my licence. We're all doomed..!! and it's no use arguing with them..:jiml:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not really war prep but more out of fear of the breakdown of civil society. This time we have actual examples we can point at that are happening so that ramps up the fear. Add to that all the first time gun buyers and the supply is being stripped away at a breakneck pace.

Yes, I think it's called 'civil war'.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Yes, I think it's called 'civil war'.

On the news this morning Atlanta Homicide rate for this year is 99, they are also 400 Plus police officers short and more leaving.
man do the city leaders ever need to get those Social workers and mental therapist in uniform and in the patrol cars to nip this violence in the bud.

Attachments

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought a Friend’s Reloader, a Dillon 550, in 9 mm.

That was a year ago.

I initially used it to make subsonic 9 mm. Now I’m glad I have it. I can make at least 1000 right now.

But I have a lot of factory ammunition in 9 mm, long before Covid hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just as a matter of interest what do you guys pay, on average, for your 9mm ammo. My local purveyor of shooting consumables quoted me what would be in dollars $17.40 for 50 rounds of American Eagle 147g. Think I'll max out and buy as much as I'm allowed... all 200 round of it..!!
So are you only allowed to buy 200 rounds at a time, or are you only allowed to be in possession of 200 rounds?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
So are you only allowed to buy 200 rounds at a time, or are you only allowed to be in possession of 200 rounds?
We have two categories regarding ammo.

1. What you can possess (hold)

2. What you can purchased (buy)

So I have a 9mm and a .357/.38

I can 'hold' 250 round of 9mm and either 250 rounds of .357 OR .38. NOT both. But I can only buy 200 rounds of any of the three calibres at a time.

I also have a couple of .22 rifles for which I can hold 1000 rounds, but only buy 900.

I don't have any full bore rifles now, I sold them as there is no range over 50m here. But the allowances for .243 or .223 or .308 is even worse. If I'd kept my rifles I was informed by the firearms licencing registry (police) that I'd probably get 100 rounds... A YEAR..!!

The reason for that is they are scared of someone going off their head and taking pot-shots as there is no dedicated marksman within the firearms trained police, so there would be no-one, immediately on hand, to counter them.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
We have two categories regarding ammo.

1. What you can possess (hold)

2. What you can purchased (buy)

So I have a 9mm and a .357/.38

I can 'hold' 250 round of 9mm and either 250 rounds of .357 OR .38. NOT both. But I can only buy 200 rounds of any of the three calibres at a time.

I also have a couple of .22 rifles for which I can hold 1000 rounds, but only buy 900.

I don't have any full bore rifles now, I sold them as there is no range over 50m here. But the allowances for .243 or .223 or .308 is even worse. If I'd kept my rifles I was informed by the firearms licencing registry (police) that I'd probably get 100 rounds... A YEAR..!!

The reason for that is they are scared of someone going off their head and taking pot-shots as there is no dedicated marksman within the firearms trained police, so there would be no-one, immediately on hand, to counter them.
The limit of ammo you can posses may be why you don't have a shortage of ammo to buy. Over here, we have guys that have thousands of rounds of each caliber they own, stored at home. And now with the shortage, if they find 100-500 rounds, they'll buy it all to stockpile beside the thousdands of round they already have. I love it when they claim the new gun buyers, trying to find a box or two, are the cause of shortage. Fortunantly Hoarding is legal in the USA.

I have bought 4 boxes of 50 rounds each in the last 14 months. 2 of those boxes went to my son-in-law for his first revolver. All the other ammo I've used come from my reloading.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The limit of ammo you can posses may be why you don't have a shortage of ammo to buy. Over here, we have guys that have thousands of rounds of each caliber they own, stored at home. And now with the shortage, if they find 100-500 rounds, they'll buy it all to stockpile beside the thousdands of round they already have. I love it when they claim the new gun buyers, trying to find a box or two, are the cause of shortage. Fortunantly Hoarding is legal in the USA.

I have bought 4 boxes of 50 rounds each in the last 14 months. 2 of those boxes went to my son-in-law for his first revolver. All the other ammo I've used come from my reloading.
Supposedly part of our ammo shortage has to do with the rona restrictions on shipping ports. Apparently, we only have one operational lead mine in the U.S., producing about ten tons per day, a lot of which goes to the electronics industry for batteries and stuff. The shortfall has to be imported, and with those restrictions it just isn’t getting in. The pandemic panic buying isn’t helping matters(look what it did for toilet paper) but without the lead to make the bullet, there’s no bullets to cap the cartrige. Even reloaders are starting to feel the pinch.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
32 Posts

Supposedly part of our ammo shortage has to do with the rona restrictions on shipping ports. Apparently, we only have one operational lead mine in the U.S., producing about ten tons per day, a lot of which goes to the electronics industry for batteries and stuff. The shortfall has to be imported, and with those restrictions it just isn’t getting in. The pandemic panic buying isn’t helping matters(look what it did for toilet paper) but without the lead to make the bullet, there’s no bullets to cap the cartrige. Even reloaders are starting to feel the pinch.

There are also exactly zero lead smelting operations in the U.S. on any large scale at all, all smelting is done overseas with 70% done in China.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Im not about to pay what they want for ammo now. I have plenty in the closet. I'll just wat until the wacko horders overcome their world coming to an end fanticies

·
Registered
64 Posts
Saw an ad today for TULA 9mm for $21.99 a box of 50...........when TULA used to be between 9.99 & 12.99
If you don't have a stockpile, hope the world stays calm, because it could get worse depending on the outcome
of the election -- or you could see thousands of hoarders suddenly dumping all that they bought........

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Saw an ad today for TULA 9mm for $21.99 a box of 50...........when TULA used to be between 9.99 & 12.99
If you don't have a stockpile, hope the world stays calm, because it could get worse depending on the outcome
of the election -- or you could see thousands of hoarders suddenly dumping all that they bought........
Regardless of who wins the office of POTUS, folks are still going to be arming up, and riots and shootings in Big Cities will also continue to rise.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
132 Posts
The last quality 9MM I was able to find online about 2 weeks ago was Sig Elite Performance 115gr FMJ 50 round box on the Sig website for $16.95 (33 cents a round). I ordered 8 boxes, got free shipping (min $100 order) and received it via FedEX 1 week later. I looked about one hour after I placed the order and they were sold out.

Just for fun I just looked at ammoseek.com and the same ammo, in stock at 300 Blackout Club (whoever they are), is $41.50 a box, 83 cents a round.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts