Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out here in San Diego, CA, I'm seeing 9mm ammo supplies dwindle and costs go up. When I asked what was up, I hear that the cost of 9mm ammo is going up while the supplies are at an all time low due to the war effort.

Is anyone else seeing this in their part of the U.S.?

I'm seeing anywhere from $9.99 - $11.99 for Fiocchi (purple box) and Winchester (white w/red box), if you can find 'em.

I guess it's time to learn how to make my own... :-\

·
Registered
8,150 Posts

·
Administrator
18,470 Posts
Notice from all three Domestic Ammunition Manufacturers of price increases (approx. 15%) to take effect September 01, 2007.

http://www.natchezss.com/customerService.cfm?contentID=manuIncrease&src=BA481

Prices for Reloading Components have also continued to climb and there are shortages of Primers, Bullets, and some Powders. I've tried to keep my Loading Room well stocked in spite of many things.

Have been Loading/Reloading since the late 1980's and never regretted it. Ran 1000 rounds of my Fav 9mm Match Load off of My Dillon XL650 last week. Also have 1000 rounds of my .45 ACP Match Load.

There are also shortages of .223 and .308 (7.62 NATO) going on. As 9mm, .223, and .308 are main Small Arms Calibers being used by the U.S. during this conflict, along with the upswing in Commodities Prices of Copper and Lead, shortages and price increases are to be expected.

Even Foriegn supplies of 7.62x39mm have doubled in price over the last 2 years. Many Foreign supplies of Surplus Ammunition have dried up, at least temporarily. The Russian Wolf and Silver Bear ammunition seems to be the only ones currently available in good quantity if you like it. There are some limited supplies of other brands, but you will really have to shop to find it, and prices are up.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ammo has gone up because of the war on some brands, but mostly due to nut case anti-gunners lobbying or rights away...

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I just got an e-newsletter from Outdoor Marksman. They have Fed. 9mm 115gr for $5.99 per 50 rd box, however you have to buy 20 boxes to get that price. This sale price is valid until noon on Aug. 23.
This annoys me slightly as I just got 20 boxes (a case) of that stuff a couple of weeks ago and this price is better but thats life.

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_1_28&products_id=80 West Coast Warehouse
http://east.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_1_28&products_id=80 East Coast Warehouse

Yes, you can order from either location regardless of where you live. But you have to be signed in to one or the other and your order can only come from one or the other (or you could do 2 orders I supose).

Steelheart

·
Administrator
18,470 Posts
The Federal American Eagle brand is really good stuff! I heartily recommend it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the GREAT info everyone. I'm probably gonna order the FedAmEagle ammo tonight when I get home tonight, for something to shoot with in the short-term. Going forward, I'm going to have to learn how to make ammo for myself.

Man, .45ACP ammo is the same price as 9mm ammo out here - it's ridiculous!

·
Registered
132 Posts
its always good to have a reloader...........I got a decent one from LEE and it works just fine. I also stock up on bulk as I dont like reloading much.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya prices seem to go up and up, stock up while you can.. and learn to shoot .22's more offten :D
its' not just 9mm everything seems higher.

·
Registered
279 Posts
the winchester white box is being used by folks like myself in the army. recently while running a M9 range we opened 15 cases of WWB (i think there were 10 boxes in a case). So we used 7500 rounds in an day just to get our pilots qualified for this physical year.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I went to Wally World yesterday and picked up 2 boxes of 100 rounds of 9 mm W.W.B. $15.72 each (+ tax). It was the same as last time, about a month ago.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Does anyone else feel that everything is getting more expensive because of the wars going on? ie gas prices, and ammunition. Seems like it is a good scapegoat. I wish I could negotiate my labor wage because of the war. Maybe some day. Hahaha

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
gas has been going up steadly before we ever went to war (if you can even call it that)

the oil companies are posting record profits every quarter is better then the last.

im not sure if it's china buying up materials, the military restrocking ammo..

or if it's just the ammo companies are taking a number from the oil companies and screwing us for sloppy 2nd's.

·
Registered
384 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
I went to Wally World yesterday and picked up 2 boxes of 100 rounds of 9 mm W.W.B. $15.72 each (+ tax). It was the same as last time, about a month ago.
Within a few penneys of what I paid for the same ammo at Wally World last Thursday. It seems that many of these price increases are regional.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Blazer has gone up marginally since my first post in this thread. Now it's $7.49 a box but regarding 9mm, that's one of the best deals going if you don't reload.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Went to Walmart yesterday and WWB 9mm was up 2.50 a box of 100. From just under $16 to about $18.50

·
32,789 Posts
As much as I am not a fan of the Russians as a whole I do have to give them credit in the ammo areas. Shotgun News and Gun Lists usually have ammo sellers who will have low ammo prices. And in bulk.

While Winchester white box,UMC (when on sale), and Blazer or Blazer Brass, will help keep costs down, the Wolf and Silver Bear ammos are excellent and cheap ammo to use for practice.

What's cheap, good quality, and available vary though from month to month. Have to peruse the websites,stores, and periodicals to stay current on this.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5131.0

This is related to the subject at hand.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just loaded up on Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ at Walmart. 3 weeks ago the 100 count loose box was $15.48. Tonight, at the same store, it was $18.42. That's a 19% increase. Ouch. I'm going to have to start shooting slower at the range.

I should add that not only had the 9mm prices gone up, but there were only six boxes of the 100 count left.

My wife gets .22 LR for her Walther P22. The 550 count of Federal loads was $11.50 a few weeks back. $11.97 tonight.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
federal 550 bulk .22lr packs was 9.98 or 9.89 or something like that in my area but ya they also went up.. looks like it was an across the board increase no brand or caliber was spared..

·
Registered
384 Posts
high5apparatus said:
I just loaded up on Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ at Walmart. 3 weeks ago the 100 count loose box was $15.48. Tonight, at the same store, it was $18.42. That's a 19% increase. Ouch. I'm going to have to start shooting slower at the range.

I should add that not only had the 9mm prices gone up, but there were only six boxes of the 100 count left.

My wife gets .22 LR for her Walther P22. The 550 count of Federal loads was $11.50 a few weeks back. $11.97 tonight.
Almost to the penney what I found yesterday buying 9mm and .22lr at Walmart. $18.52 for the 100 count WWB and $11.97 for the Federal 550 count. Went to the range today and put the 9mm away after 50 rounds. Shot the hell out of the Tracker and P22 though! Reloading is now more of a consideration. Just wish there was someone in this area that gave classes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.