Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some help with 9mm ammo.

I have a PT709 Slim that I carry. I plan on shooting groundhogs with it when I see them out, but I am not sure what ammo will be best for the task. What grain, type, etc?

Here is what I would like the ammo to do.

1. Kill the groundhog as quickly as possible, preferably with one shot.
2. I want the ammo to basically stop when it hits the groundhog, so it doesn't exit and hit a rock or something and riccochet.
3. I want the ammo to be as quiet as possible.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
It's easier to get those requirements with a cheap bolt action .22 rifle and subsonic ammo. Anything considered quiet in 9mm wouldn't consistently cycle the slide of a semi-auto.

·
22,301 Posts
But apart from the quiet criterion, Glaser would be your best bet.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
A slingshot and ball bearings! Or what Montkun said.:thumb:

Reactions: jwc007 and gbusmech

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
I am looking for some help with 9mm ammo.

Here is what I would like the ammo to do.
1. Kill the groundhog as quickly as possible, preferably with one shot.
2. I want the ammo to basically stop when it hits the groundhog, so it doesn't exit and hit a rock or something and riccochet.
3. I want the ammo to be as quiet as possible.
Any thoughts?
HHHMMM??
see if you can find a 709 that Is chambered in 17 HMR/ 22 Magnum with a 20-21 inch barrel.
The 17 HMR at near ranges (inside say 50 yards) using the 17 grain projectile will basically fragment and remain inside the animal, while at extended range mushroom and remain in the animal.
I think you are tying to use the wrong tool for the wrong size bolt myself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Like the others have said..... a .22 riffle would be your best choice for what you are trying to accomplish... a 9mm is overkill (no pun intended).

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I use a pump action Daisy with .177 pellets to handle the groundhogs around my house. I doubt they do much more than scare them off since ours are kind of bulky, but I haven't seen them in the back yard for about 6 months now. If you need a pretty cheap .22, Walmart sells Cricket single shot youth rifles for just over $100($109 last I checked). They're pretty accurate, so if your aim is true you shouldn't need more than one shot.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Unless you want to buy a 9mm pistol with a threaded barrel and go through the process to buy a suppressor (maybe at the $1,000 mark now depending) AND shoot sub-sonic 147gr ammo - you will NEVER reach objective #3!

Spend the money on the proper tool for the job. You will spend less and have another fun gun to shoot!!!
Sounds like groundhogs need killing and you are just the guy to do it!!! :D

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
1. Any 9mm ammo will do the job.
2. Not likely to stop in this size target.
3. Any 9mm out of the 709 will be about the same db. Not much can be done on the noise side with this equipment.

So so basically you can kill the groundhog, if you hit it, but aren't going to achieve your other goals short of new equipment.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Them big ol chucks are pretty tough, I've seen em drag theirselfs into their burro dragging half their innards. So I wholeheartedly recomend a .22-250 for chucks....

Hunter 2.gif

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Rodenator = COOL!!

Anyone with the proper tanks and a little ingenuity can probably rig up their own. Here's a vid that says 'do it yourself - under $100' :eek:

*OR get seriously hurt if you are not careful (not endorsed by mingaa industries LLC...)

Reactions: btleslie and mwj999

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Rodenator = COOL!!

Anyone with the proper tanks and a little ingenuity can probably rig up their own. Here's a vid that says 'do it yourself - under $100'

*OR get seriously hurt if you are not careful (not endorsed by mingaa industries LLC...)
Pretty cool! It's a pity that he didn't post the plans.

I assume that the $100 doesn't include the oxyacetylene rig. I'm not a welder, and don't know what it costs to get a tank refilled, so I can't say whether the operating cost of the home-made system will eventually exceed the total cost of the commercial one. Judging from the one gopher that I sent to his eternal reward (with a Glock 22:D), the Gopher Territorial Allocation Board seems to take about two months to reassign the territory of a deceased gopher.:D So you'd probably need to repeat the exercise several times a year to keep your place gopher free, unless you can afford to hire Bill Murray.:D

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Pretty cool! It's a pity that he didn't post the plans.

I assume that the $100 doesn't include the oxyacetylene rig. I'm not a welder, and don't know what it costs to get a tank refilled, so I can't say whether the operating cost of the home-made system will eventually exceed the total cost of the commercial one. Judging from the one gopher that I sent to his eternal reward (with a Glock 22:D), the Gopher Territorial Allocation Board seems to take about two months to reassign the territory of a deceased gopher.:D So you'd probably need to repeat the exercise several times a year to keep your place gopher free, unless you can afford to hire Bill Murray.:D
AH - in reading the description of the commercial Rodenator it does not come with thanks either - AND those would have to be refilled as well. Propane is easy. Oxygen will have to be through a welding shop - my SIL is a metalsmith with a med sized tank 60-70 cf - i think she dropped $40 on her last refill.

GREAT Bill Murray BTW!!!! Thanks!

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
AH - in reading the description of the commercial Rodenator it does not come with thanks either - AND those would have to be refilled as well. Propane is easy. Oxygen will have to be through a welding shop - my SIL is a metalsmith with a med sized tank 60-70 cf - i think she dropped $40 on her last refill.

Somehow I'd gotten the impression that the Rodenator used compressed air, but I guess it uses oxygen too. Maybe the home-made unit is the better choice, as long as you don't blow yourself up.:D

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies. I have a .22lr rifle that I have used in the past. Usually one shot to the head works fine and meets my requirements. The only probably is, I don't routinely carry it around, but I always carry my 709.

I guess the question would be then which ammo for 9mm would be least likely to exit a groundhog a 147gr at 900fps or a 85gr at 1300fps, both hollow point defense type ammo.

Maybe I just need to wait until spring and test for myself!

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 9mm will not stop in the dog. I have shot a dog with my G2. The bullet stopped in the ground on the other side of the hole. There is NO WAY you will make the 709 "quiet". That short barrel will leave your ears ringing for a while after a shot without ear protection. Most defense rounds are made to penetrate about 12" - 15". Good luck with the dogs. :)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Carry some foam plugs and be mindful of your backstop. If your angle is standing shooting down you may be fine. IS it rocky soil?!?!

The 709 3" barrel will not reach most manufacturer's published fps but any SD ammo will probably be coming out the other side - that said.

Is it legal to shoot where this fella lives?!?! ;)

·
Registered
36,310 Posts

HMMM? Fire, Propane, do it yourself!!!
now why do I see a problem coming here??-----------:eek:
Where is old Dbeard when you need him????

1 - 20 of 36 Posts