Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9mm OSS that I purchased in July. Since I got it, I have had trouble with misfires in DA mode, no problems in SA. I just got it back from its third trip to Miami for this problem, and each time it gets a little better but it still isn't perfect.

I made a quick trip to the range yesterday and had no misfires with 10 rounds of Sellier and Belliot, which had had issues before, so I was hopeful. I stopped at Wally World on the way to the range today and bought a box of WWB, since that had also been a problem. I had 4 misfires in 20 rounds shooting DA, three of which fired on restrike and one I had to cock and shoot SA.

I've never had a problem in DA with Federal ammo and with any ammo in SA. This is primarily a range gun and I won't CC it which is the principal reason to decock leading to a DA first shot and I guess it won't be a trail gun either. For HD I keep the magazine out of the gun so if I ever need it I'll be starting already cocked.

Given my planned use, should I waste the time and effort to send it back again. This time I made a real point of my disappointment when talking with the CS person. Is it possible to get to a supervisor on the phone? Do they ever finally replace the gun?

I do want to say that every time I've called CS they have been absolutely courteous and helpful. I've never had to argue for a pre-paid shipping label, they have offered it immediately. I have been disappointed with the terse repair reports.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
well of course each owner must make the decision if the gun is up to thier expectations,as long as those expectations are reasonable.
I personally think that a SA/DA weapon firng in the DA mode reliabally is not to great of a height to set the bar.
If it was me, i would contact taurus again, talk to the person on the phone and then include a letter stating the problems encountered with each return, the dates of the returns, and the expected result that either the gun be made reliable or replaced.
while i don't really ujnderstand shooting the wepaon that much in DA as thats not a normal mode for a 24/7 OSS D/S to operate in , it should still work as thats the design intent.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
while i don't really ujnderstand shooting the wepaon that much in DA as thats not a normal mode for a 24/7 OSS D/S to operate in , it should still work as thats the design intent.
I'm only shooting this much in DA to verify function. As I understand it, this gun was designed to be carried decocked with the safety on, so the first shot (like the Model 92) would be DA. If the first shot doesn't work, it wouldn't be a very good situation. If I can't shoot 20 shots in the row DA without a failure, I don't think I can count on the first shot going off every time. I discovered the issue when shortly after I got the gun when I was firing a series of shots in DA to get the feel of the trigger, and started getting misfires.

I think I'm going to call them again and try to talk with a supervisor, then I'll decide if I'll send it back or not at this time.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
As a mechanical engineer you should be well qualified to say the problem is legit.

I'd tell them to either replace it or refund my money...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
An improperly functioning weapon is at best unreliable, and at worst deadly for the user.

If it were my weapon it would be on its way to Miami for replacement, they should have tested it and got it right by now.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
I'm only shooting this much in DA to verify function. As I understand it, this gun was designed to be carried decocked with the safety on, so the first shot (like the Model 92) would be DA.
well I think you might be a tad wrong on the design!
the weapon is designed to function properly in single action mode or double action mode, it is designed if in single action and a misfire occurs then it reverts to double action to provide a second strike to the primer.
you can't really compare a 92/99 to a 24/7 as ones a hammered firing pin and ones a non hammered striker fired weapon.
you can carry a 92/99 in single action by utilizing the cocked and locked method just like a 1911.
but it should work as desgned, decockers are after thoughts to enable loading/unloading in a safer manner, and to give the owner more feeling of security, even not decocked the modern handgun has multiple built in safety sytems, but all these added features make the lawyers a lot happier and insurance rates cheaper.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called Taurus and the CS agent I spoke with said she did not have the authority to replace the gun, as might be expected. I asked to speak to a supervisor to escalate the issue but the supervisor was not available until Jan 3. Have their name and extension and will call next week. Since the definition of insanity is doing the same thing time and again and expecting a different result, I don't think just sending it back for another stay in the maintenance shop is worth it for anyone.

Olfarhors, I didn't intend to compare the 92/99 and 24/7 mechanically, just from a "manual of arms" or functionality viewpoint. I was jumping to the conclusion (we know what assume means) that the US Mil apparently wanted a gun that could be carried in an un-cocked mode and have the first shot fired in DA mode without having to "cock" the gun. They got that in the 92 (and didn't have it in the 1911) and I made the assumption that that functionality was part of the specification the OSS was designed to meet. I didn't think it was an afterthought. Taurus also plays it up for the "second chance" restrike in the case of a misfire, but it it won't fire the cartridge with the primary hit I don't see it firing one that wasn't fired in SA mode.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
There was a list of mandated things that a weapon MUST have to be able to compete in the military test trials(regardless of manufacture), the only additional thing that comes to mind in the OSS design was the addition of the ambi safety that i can think of that did not already exist in the 24/7 Pro D/S.
in any case it should operate in SA/or D/A.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's on its way back for a 4th Miami vacation. I spoke with Christian, a supervisor in Customer Service and went over the history with him, stressing my frustration and loss of confidence in the gun and asked for a replacement. He stated that since the OSS is out of production that was difficult. He did agree that I had a right to expect it to be 100% reliable in al modes. Based on his assurance that he would personally track the repair and ensure that they ran at least 100 rounds DA succesfully before returning it, I decided to send it back one more time. Expecting a different result after three previous efforts smacks slightly of the definition of insanity, but...

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Skinnedknuckles,

I hope your patience pays off for you in the form of a 110% reliable OSS.

When they are working like they were designed to work, the OSS pistol is an absolute joy to own and shoot.

Good luck on trip #4!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if for whatever reason they can not seem to fire 100 rounds of DA through it and they deem it to not be working correctly they will give you options on what gun you want to replace it with since the OSS is no longer in production.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if for whatever reason they can not seem to fire 100 rounds of DA through it and they deem it to not be working correctly they will give you options on what gun you want to replace it with since the OSS is no longer in production.
I personally have never heard this or read it?
could be right, just saying I have never heard of it.
I find it somewhat hard to believe however, say you had a P22 and they couldn't get it to work and it was discontinued, i doubt that you could trade it for a SS PT1911 in 45.
I would imagine they might try to get you to agree to taking something in the same price line and same type of pistol.
But if a weapon is dicontinued then a trade out is about all that you can expect.
hopefully it will come back ruinning right this time.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
Thats what the taurus warranty says. Tell them you want a long slide G2, haha
where did you find that listed at??
I must have missed it reading the manual?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I personally have never heard this or read it?
could be right, just saying I have never heard of it.
I find it somewhat hard to believe however, say you had a P22 and they couldn't get it to work and it was discontinued, i doubt that you could trade it for a SS PT1911 in 45.
I would imagine they might try to get you to agree to taking something in the same price line and same type of pistol.
But if a weapon is dicontinued then a trade out is about all that you can expect.
hopefully it will come back ruinning right this time.
Correct, the only story i have seen was a guy got the option on "equal or lesser value" when he had a pistol that was not working up to standard.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
After reading about their warranty procedures requiring serviced firearms to be shot through two magazines without failure, I can see why guns end up going back several times for service.

I personally think that at least four magazines need to be run through any firearm to verify function. I own a 5906-usually a weapon renowned for reliability-which fired two magazines of 15 FMJ rounds without trouble only to FTE consistently on rounds number 35, 37, and 40. Had I assumed two magazines were enough to check Id still own a lemon.

So one can see where this cycle can go. Gun arrives in Miami, gunsmith changes a setting, runs two mags through it without fail, signs off the "OK " and ships it back. OP puts 4 magazines through it and has issues. Gun goes back, gunsmith changes something else, runs two mags which don't fail, sends gun back...and OP finds out the weapon fails again. The cycle is doomed to repeat unless the factory can get the gun to break in their care-which I imagine doesn't happen for the same reason you bring an ailing car to the dealer only to see the problem fix itself in the dealer service bay-or the fed up owner says f--k it and sells the gun.

This cycle looks bad on the company's end too, because to the guy and gals on the phone in Miami it looks like you're trying to game the system for a free upgrade. From their perspective, they keep being sent a gun that always works in their shop but always somehow breaks in the OPs hands .

Being in retail I encountered plently of people who abused the exchange and warranty process of my old job to 'trade up', and that may be what your case looks like on paper at Taurus HQ.

If things are not resolved to your satisfaction, contact the executive leadership with a respectful statement of the issues and possible solutions.

Good luck, and I await an update.
ST

Reactions: BigCountry

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
Gosh about the only pistols ,that i would want to trade out for the OSS myself would be either the 1911 or the 92/99.
I just don't feel the love for many Bull semi pistols outside the two above and the 24/7 (original), course different folks like different thangs!-LOL
I think the 100/101 is being discontinued as well?--so no need to trade for that.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Taurus just NEEDS to bring out a new long slide 24/7 G2 or maybe even a long slide 800 series, since they are based off the OSS. Its gonna be a huge disappointment to not use a Taurus for my comp gun. But I guess if they dont Springfield XD it will be.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Taurus just NEEDS to bring out a new long slide 24/7 G2 or maybe even a long slide 800 series, since they are based off the OSS. Its gonna be a huge disappointment to not use a Taurus for my comp gun. But I guess if they dont Springfield XD it will be.
I am curious what the attraction is for a long slide firearm as a competition weapon.

Is the reason related to a longer sight radius , or is the reasoning more in depth than that?

·
Registered
548 Posts
From my experience the longer slides help greatly with better accuracy as well as a slightly longer (better) sight picture. Thats my opinion anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts