Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i bought my 9 year old a 992 and discovered the trigger pull (even in single action mode) is way too much for him to handle - double action is impossible. First question, is it possible to significantly reduce the trigger pull weight and still get reliable ignition? Any details would be helpful and appreciated.

Second question and assuming I may need to experiment with cutting a few spring coils, can anyone point me to a reliable parts source for the 992?

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
24,596 Posts
Try a set of Wolff gun springs. It worked for me. Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
24,596 Posts
Go directly to Wolff on line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep Wolff was my first stop ....they don't carry 992 Springs.....confirmed by their tech staff. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/4263-fixing-light-primer-strikes-taurus-revolver.html

Here's a good write up if the Wolff springs give you light strikes. I did this, along with shaving the front of the hammer that hits the frame above the transfer bar. On mine, with the trigger pulled and held back, the hammer wouldn't push the transfer bar tight to the frame. That means the firing pin wasn't protruding as far as possible. I slowly shaved the face of the hammer down so there wasn't any more slop and the firing pin would go all the way through the frame. Worked good for me. Granted, mine is a 327 federal magnum Centerfire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a little research (from which I determined that getting springs for my Taurus 992 from Wolff was a dead end), I called Taurus today. Prior to doing that, the Wolff customer service guy warned me that Taurus puts many of its parts on its "restricted" list. Sure enough and after spending twenty minutes on hold, I finally got through to a pleasant and sympathetic young lady. Instead of telling her I wanted to experiment with a new spring improve the trigger, I told her I had lost the part and wanted to purchase a replacement. She promptly explained she could not sell me a mainspring. She told me the only choice I had was to send the gun to Taurus in Miami.

For any of you who have ever removed this extraordinarily simple part, I think you will agree this is akin to sending your Ford back to Detroit for an air filter replacement.

So, I have bad taste in my mouth over my first, only, and last Taurus. First, the stock trigger is atrocious. While I did not expect a target quality trigger at this price point, I certainly didn't expect one as bad as this one is. The least Taurus can do if they are going to sell a product like this is to allow a customer to purchase parts to make it right.

I suppose it could be worse - I could own more than one Taurus product.

Taurus Inc. reminds me of an old Sicilian proverb: No one is totally useless, you can always serve as a bad example.

Lesson learned: Friends don't let friends buy Taurus guns.

Thanks to all of you for pitching suggestions.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You should have just told her the truth about how dissatisfied you were with the trigger. They would have sent you a prepaid shipping label to return it for them to dial in.
RC

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Why are you so bent now after your first post said you were willing to experiment with cutting springs? You can order factory replacement springs from Wolff that you obviously can't b uy from Taurus. You have a place to buy the part you want to buy, and are now bashing Taurus as a whole, instead of getting the part. A spring set is less than $20. You've been given suggestions on how to get the most out of what's available, why not just give it a try.

I just put a Wolff spring set in a 50 year old Rossi for a friend because his wife couldn't pull the trigger. It took less than an hour, including looking up how to dissassemble it, and then trying the different trigger springs. On his, the trigger wouldn't reset using the light trigger springs, so I left it with a lighter hammer spring and factory trigger spring.

Friends don't let friends ask for help, and refuse to take the help they received.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts