Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 992, 6.5" for almost a year now and have 4 bricks or more of LR shot through her with continuous improvement with my own accuracy, the revolver has been flawless. I have done some shooting with the magnum cylinder, many brands, types of ammo but all of it jacketed. I'm not impressed with the results, I'm getting spraycan "patterns at 25 yards and honestly, it's like the rounds are over powered for a handgun. I get a lot of muzzle flash, cylinder flash, (I've burned holes through sandbags trying to get groups) and I've heard that the Winchester Dynapoints may be the way to go since they use copper washed lead bullets and don't have the hyper velocity that CCI, Remington have. I was curious as to what some of you are using successfully in your WMR wheelguns, any flavor, not just Taurus revolvers.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I've had my 992, 6.5" for almost a year now and have 4 bricks or more of LR shot through her with continuous improvement with my own accuracy, the revolver has been flawless. I have done some shooting with the magnum cylinder, many brands, types of ammo but all of it jacketed. I'm not impressed with the results, I'm getting spraycan "patterns at 25 yards and honestly, it's like the rounds are over powered for a handgun. I get a lot of muzzle flash, cylinder flash, (I've burned holes through sandbags trying to get groups) and I've heard that the Winchester Dynapoints may be the way to go since they use copper washed lead bullets and don't have the hyper velocity that CCI, Remington have. I was curious as to what some of you are using successfully in your WMR wheelguns, any flavor, not just Taurus revolvers.
My only .22 WMR handgun is a Ruger Single Six. The cylinder gap on it will blast holes in sandbags too. I got stopped at an indoor range for blowing apart one of their bags. Ooops.

Then I discovered that resting the gun in the bag actually hurt my accuracy. From then on, I rest only my wrists or bottom of my hands on the bags. Accuracy improved greatly.

Dynapoint works pretty well out of my Ruger. As you mentioned, it is a fat lead bullet with no jacketing and is slower than other .22 WMR ammo. Yet, some jacketed ammo works well too. Such as Hornady 30 grain V-Max. Both are good 25 yards cartridges out of my revolver.

As a side note, the Dynapoint does not even chamber in my only .22 WMR rifle (Zastava). And in a friend of mine's Henry rifle, it will chamber, but it doesn't have enough speed to shoot to the same point of aim as other .22 WMR ammo. Still, Dynapoint is a mighty fine revolver round. Heck, it was probably designed for revolvers from the get-go.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have the exact revolver, 6 1/2 inch barrel and all. I shoot Winchester Dynapoints and have had none of the issues you mentioned.

I would pickup a box or two (If your lucky to find them in this day and age), I think you'll be pleased. I also think your problems will be solved. As I mentioned never a problem here.

Joe

·
Registered
24,972 Posts
I have a Ruger Single Six and Taurus 992 and both of them seem to like CCI Maxi Mags or Hornady equivalent.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
The .22WMR is pretty much intended as a rifle round and any handgun I have ever fired it in has a tremendous muzzle flash sort of like a .357 mag with out all the noise. I have tried some new/old .22 WRF in my Ruger and Heritage revolvers and found that it shoots real well. The old .22WRF cartridge case is the same diameter as the .22 WMR only a tad shorter ( think of the .38 special - .357 mag ). There is a lot of new manufacture .22WRF setting on LGS's shelves these days because most people don't know that the round will work in anything but a antique rifle chambered for it....

Reactions: Wingshot

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The .22WMR is pretty much intended as a rifle round and any handgun I have ever fired it in has a tremendous muzzle flash sort of like a .357 mag with out all the noise. I have tried some new/old .22 WRF in my Ruger and Heritage revolvers and found that it shoots real well. The old .22WRF cartridge case is the same diameter as the .22 WMR only a tad shorter ( think of the .38 special - .357 mag ). There is a lot of new manufacture .22WRF setting on LGS's shelves these days because most people don't know that the round will work in anything but a antique rifle chambered for it....
I just recently learned of the WRF compatibility from the members over at RFC and although I've seen it on line ($32.95 per 50), its not on any shelves around here. The Dynapoints seem to be my best option when I can get some.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 992 shoots best the Winchester super X 22 mag and as close second is the Dynapoints. The CCI Maxi-Mag gave me a 2" to 3" group at 25 yards (scoped & benched) and the Super X and the Dynapoints gave me about 1" consistently. As for the 22 LR, the Aguila Supermaximum gave me the best groups but I no longer have those at hand and the CCI minimag is my next best for that.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 992 shoots best the Winchester super X 22 mag and as close second is the Dynapoints. The CCI Maxi-Mag gave me a 2" to 3" group at 25 yards (scoped & benched) and the Super X and the Dynapoints gave me about 1" consistently. As for the 22 LR, the Aguila Supermaximum gave me the best groups but I no longer have those at hand and the CCI minimag is my next best for that.
I have a few boxes of the Super X that I need to try out. Believe it or not, with the LR cylinder I get good accuracy from all the Remington ammo that is so hated throughout the rimfire community. CCI S/V gives me the best performance as well as some vintage Win. Expert S/V that I have acquired.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An update: I had some time to kill before the monthly meeting at our gun club so I tossed a couple boxes of Win. Super X .22WMR jhp's in the bag along with my 992. There were a couple guys on the range obviously "in the zone" with their BR rifles and I didn't want to disturb them to go put up targets so I walked down to the pistol line where we have lengths of RR track set up to support steel chickens, rams, etc. I proceeded to let fly using a 2 hand unsupported hold with the same POA as I do when shooting LR's. the distance is 45 yards. Much to my surprise, the steel started to fly! Until today I've only shot the mag cylinder off sandbags or off a rest and not too much of it either. The last time I shot any mag rounds was last fall and I can say with pride that I'm a much better pistol shooter than I was a year ago. I'm just stoked that I got such great results today and I shot 100 rounds, enjoying the bigger bang and some actual felt recoil, (very mild). I still want to try out the dyna points but thanks to some good advice here, my confidence level is sky high now as far as the WMR cylinder goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts