Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Taurus 992 22lr/mag ss pistol with a 6.5" barrel. I've fired over 500 rounds with no problems, and I love the gun. I was recently looking through the owners manual. It is a generic manual for all Taurus revolvers. It has a table in it showing the maximum specs of ammo for various calibers. For 22lr it has 40 gr, 1280 fps. This leads me to believe they are using velocities from a rifle barrel. The 22 mag specs are 40 gr, 1480 fps. It is hard to find 22 mag ammo that has a 1480 fps muzzle velocity from a rifle. Most is at least 1600 fps. So does anyone know if I can use standard 1950 fps ammo in my 992 (w/ mag cylinder). Or how about the new 45 gr Hornady Critical defense ammo, since it exceeds the bullet weight spec? I thought about talking to Taurus directly, but they'll probably just tell me to follow what's in the manual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I don't have first hand experience with the 22 mag ammo, but I know that my 990 is built like a tank. I guess I go the 38/357 route. As long as your not feeding it a steady diet of "hot" ammo, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 992 is built more like a 357 than a 22. It seems like it should hold up to any 22 mag loadings out there, but not according to Taurus.

·
Registered
27,560 Posts
SAMMI spec for both .22LR and .22WMR is 24,000 psi. Only the case length is different. As long as you're not hand-loading - shoot whatever you want.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I have shot every 22 mag bullet weight including the 50 grain through their other revolvers with no problems. Have wondered if it was a misprint or lack of understanding about the ammo velocities etc on their part. The girl that answered the phone just reads what the book has written and said it was "regular" 22 ammo. I gave up on trying to explain that what they had in the book was not "regular" ammo. Call, maybe you will have better luck than I did a few years ago.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've fired 100rds of CCI MaxiMag out of my recent acquisition, a 992B 6". No ill effects. I know that isn't much, But due to injury in the family I haven't had the chance to get back out to the range.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I recently purchased a Taurus 992 22lr/mag ss pistol with a 6.5" barrel. I've fired over 500 rounds with no problems, and I love the gun. I was recently looking through the owners manual. It is a generic manual for all Taurus revolvers. It has a table in it showing the maximum specs of ammo for various calibers. For 22lr it has 40 gr, 1280 fps. This leads me to believe they are using velocities from a rifle barrel. The 22 mag specs are 40 gr, 1480 fps. It is hard to find 22 mag ammo that has a 1480 fps muzzle velocity from a rifle. Most is at least 1600 fps. So does anyone know if I can use standard 1950 fps ammo in my 992 (w/ mag cylinder). Or how about the new 45 gr Hornady Critical defense ammo, since it exceeds the bullet weight spec? I thought about talking to Taurus directly, but they'll probably just tell me to follow what's in the manual.

Thanks!
I think Taurus needs to make the maximum specs MODEL SPECIFIC. I hope you can get the answer to your question. I've had the same issue when looking at loads for a Tracker vs. a Raging Bull. Surely there is a difference in what these two frames are designed to handle!?!

Coop

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Amen on that Cooper, I have not called them lately but would be interested in what their reply would be now. Logic tells you the 44 mag Tracker can't handle the same loads the 44 mag bull can take when you look at them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts