Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a new 992 22/22mag for a couple months now and finally got out to test it the other day and had some issues. The 22 lr seems to shoot just fine with about anything I put through it but the magnum sowed some interesting results. My favorite 22 mag load is the CCI 40 grain solid. When shooting these I noticed right away that the groups were horrible and upon inspection of the target i could see that the bullets were key holing so they must be tumbling. i put in a few other brands such as Hornady and Federal and the groups were decent. I'm thinking that maybe the four inch barrel will not stabilize the 40 gr solid bullet? Could I be on the right track? Any one else had this problem or have an explanation? Other that that I love the gun. Is there anyone else who actually makes a truly solid bullet in 22 mag that I could try?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The gun should shoot any 22 mag ammo without keyholeing bullets. I own the same gun with a longer barrel and it keyholes several different brands of 22 mag ammo. I also own other 22 convertable revolvers and 22 mag revolvers with 4" barrels that do not keyhole with any brand or bullet weight. You can send it back and see if they can fix it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
******* did you send yours back? If not did you contact taurus at all to see what the problem may be? i also own another revolver and have no problems with it.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
No I did not call or send it back. I can do most smith work myself. I bought the gun without checking it. It had several problems and did not shoot or group as well as the other Taurus guns I own and have owned. I bought it to shoot 22 mags. It groups ok with the 22 long rifle cylinder and ammo it likes. It groups fair with some of the light bullet mag rounds but not the heavy bullets I bought it to shoot. It has been looked at by a friend that likes it for the 22lr cylinder and may buy it as is. Will not buy another gun without checking it first.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Winchester makes a 45 grain Dynapoint. Did you buy the gun new? If you did buy it new then what checking could you have done to expose the problem of bullet tumble, besides shooting it before purchase? What are the other several problems you encountered and could they have been discovered before you bought the gun?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The. Winchester Dynapoints and 40 grain. Bullets as well as manny other brands go through the target sideways, keyhole at 25 yards. The reasons I would not have bought the gun if I had inspected it first are multiple. Worst being the barrel and forcing cone. I can not post photos but there is a thread on the Circuit Judge with photos that shows a forcing cone that is also cut in extreme excess. Reading that thread will help you understand the problem. I am not a Taurus basher, own several of their guns and I am well pleased with them. Why they started cutting forcing cones this way is something they would have to answer. There is a Taylor type forcing cone cut where the cone is cut the diameter of the bullet for the length of the diameter and then the lead or throat angle cut. It greatly improves accuracy where barrel cylinder alignment is off a little. What taurus is doing is this type cut in extreme excess and hurts instead of helps. I bought this gun new, the dealer is a personal friend. I kept the gun and took it apart to see how much difference there was between it and older guns. Also wanted to see what the barrel looked like off of the guns frame where it could be inspected better. I have the tools and do most of my own work. Pullinga barrel is not a problem and the dealer also wanted to see the gun apart. My cost of the gun was not an issue, quality of product is to us and this one sucked. Taurus has a good service department and they will fix things. When you have a problem send it back. I made the choice not to and would do the same thing again for the chance to take it apart and do the work myself after looking at it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks for the info. I found the thread of the Circuit Judge and now understand how you could have found the problem prior to purchase. Those guys posted some great pix. I plan to pick up a 992 stainless 4" this week so I will certainly check the forcing cone diameter. Good luck with the repairs to your gun, Taurus should make the repairs at no charge due to the obvious defect.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
BTW there is a Sticky on the Taurus Revolver Forum that is a Revolver Buyers Checklist it has good info.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Picked up the Tracker 992 Stainless 4" on Wednesday after it passed the inspections that TheOldRedneck suggested and the others from the Sticky "Revolver buyers checklist" every thing was good and tight the only concern is the cylinder to forcing cone gap is small. I will work it at the range with both rounds and post the results in a few days. I cycled it with snap caps and like the trigger in SA and DA.

·
Registered
24,947 Posts
I use CCI maxi mags in mine and have no problems.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I bought CCI V-MAX 30gr and Hornady critical defense 45gr FTX that's all the LGS had in stock for the mag. I have several different LR selections to test out. Thanks for the tip and I will buy some when I come across them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I contacted Taurus on Mon morning and explained what was happening. They said that it should not be doing that and wanted to take a look at it. I sent it back to them Mon morning and they received it Wed morning. They said it could be 4-6 week turn around which I'm willing to wait to have a fixed gun. I will keep this thread up to date as I track the progress of the repairs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update- I just checked the status of the repair on line and and today it changed from firearm received to repair completed so i'm hoping it will be shipped shortly. Not too bad of a turn around. 24 days so far. I shipped it out on 5/20 so that seems like a good turn around providing it is shipped back soon. i will update when it is received and i get a chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Curious to see if they give you a detailed report on what they did. I posted recently concerning the accuracy of the WMR in my 6.5" 992 and just by dumb luck I tried some Win. 40gr jhp's and it shot laser like groups. I was knocking steel chickens down with regularity at 45 yards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious to see if they give you a detailed report on what they did. I posted recently concerning the accuracy of the WMR in my 6.5" 992 and just by dumb luck I tried some Win. 40gr jhp's and it shot laser like groups. I was knocking steel chickens down with regularity at 45 yards.
Do you happen to know the product number on those winchester shells so i can see if they will work in my gun?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
There has been several threads regarding a tight B/C gap on Taurus revolvers. There is a procedure to check this using two sets of feeler gauges. I found with my 617 that the B/C gap would vary a few thousandth from chamber to chamber with one being less than .002" clearance which would cause it to drag with the least amount of crud build-up or heat expansion from firing. Personally I prefer a B/C gap between .003" to .006". I did send it back to Taurus and have had no further problems with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update -The revolver showed up today! I have good news and bad news. The good news is that i took it outside and fired roughly 50 rounds through it of various types and had absolutely no problems with it. It shot great groups with all of the ammo I had. There was nothing in the paper work that said what thet actually did to the revolver but they did send two targets that they shot with it showing the groups and the what kind of ammo they shot through it. I am very happy with the way it shot today.

The bad news is that when I opened the box I noticed that the revolver had a lot of scratches on it just in front of the cylinder and one big scratch on the bottom of the barrel. i know that it was not that way when I sent it back because it had very minimal use and sat in the safe the whole time that I had it. It almost looks like it was gripped with pliers or in a vice or something like that. i suppose i will have to contact CS tomorrow and see what they have to say. I hope it goes well.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Thanks for the info. I found the thread of the Circuit Judge and now understand how you could have found the problem prior to purchase. Those guys posted some great pix. I plan to pick up a 992 stainless 4" this week so I will certainly check the forcing cone diameter. Good luck with the repairs to your gun, Taurus should make the repairs at no charge due to the obvious defect.
Can you provide a link please? Thanks!

Coop

1 - 19 of 19 Posts