Taurus Firearm Forum banner

990 tracker .22 to .22 magnum

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  444nut 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I'm new here and have a question. A while ago I picked up a 990 tracker, 9 shot, 4" blued. I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert to a .22 magnum. can you just change out the .22 cylinder for a .22 magnum cylinder and tune and adjust the timing, if necessary. Or can you have the .22 cylinder bored to .22 magnum specs. Which would be better and which would be least expensive. The only thing I am not sure about is I believe the bore for the .22 magnum is a tad larger than the .22, so that might make it impractical to do this conversion. I have several .22 guns (revolver and auto) but no magnum. Given everything, I guess I may have to just go look for a .22 magnum.
But figured I should ask people who know before I make any decisions
Thanks

Woody

#2 ·
#3 ·
I agree with badge851.

The only difference was that I went and bought a used Taurus 991 and have a Taurus 990 as well.

That was a few years ago and finally wanted to try a 992 model. I just recently purchased the 992 model.

#4 ·
Don't modify the 990 into a 22 mag gun. You will spend far more money finding and buying the parts and having it done correctly by a good 'smith, than if you were to just buy a used 991. Modifying a 990 to run 22 mag will also negatively affect the value of your 990 if you were ever to sell it. I know I wouldn't touch a gun that had a major modification like that with a 10 foot pole (unless it was nearly free). The other approach mentioned would be to sell the 990, and buy a 992 and be done with it.

#7 ·
I also have a model 992 (with 6.5" barrel). I really like it but rarely use the .22 mag cylinder. I shoot .22LR 99% of the time. Most of my .22 mag shooting is done with a rifle. As others have said, if you really want a revolver to shoot both, trade for or buy a 992.

Reactions: Qwiks draw
#9 ·
I am failing to see the attraction for a $650 revolver that shoots a .22cal projectile! (Even in .22WinMag)!! That ammo hasn't been inexpensive for quite some time! I know that's the Taurus MSRP, but even at actual prices it will be too much😳.
Flex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.