Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay -- Looking for a Taurus 970 or a S&W 617 long barrel. Any ideas? I'm in San Diego, California. Crossroads of the West is here this weekend. If you have one or the other, please let me know before I venture into that crazy candy store.

Thanks,

Tom in SD.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was looking at both the 970 and the Smith a few months back when I came across the Taurus 990, 9 shot revolver. It was game over when I got a 4" stainless 990 in my hands, I couldn't be happier with it.

·
32,481 Posts
The 970 and 990 (got one) are good choices.

Both have many happy owners. I could go to the archives to prove that, but you'd have a heck of a lot of homework going through the 970 and 990 threads in bulk. :)

The only down side is that the S&W carries 10 rounds and the 990 carries only 9. The 970 carries 7 rounds. These may not be deal breakers. It wasn't for me.

Just for your information www.facebook.com/.../Speed-Beez...Speedloaders/111812908906222 is supposed to release speedloaders for the 990 and 970 this spring according to them.

Accuracy is very good at 25 yards. The best I've seen out of a Taurus revolver. The 990 equals the S&W in the accuracy department at a lower price.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey Qwiks.. the facebook link didn't work for me. I would love to have a speed loader for my 970

·
32,481 Posts
Hey Qwiks.. the facebook link didn't work for me. I would love to have a speed loader for my 970
You're so right. Try this.
Speed Beez 617 Speedloaders This one does work.

I've been the figurative bee in their bonnet since December last year. Posted a thread about them back then,too. It seems that a few folks followed the trail to Speed Beez and are being the bee in the bonnet also. :) Good job if you did. This shows that there is a market out there for them.

Might be a good idea if there is a Taurus USA lurker around here if they checked with speedloader makers to see if they can make loaders for all of their rimfire revolvers. HomePage makes one for the Taurus 94.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks

·
32,481 Posts
No problem.

I was a bit surprised to hear about them. A visit to the S&W forum gave up that secret. :)

Since 617 were being used in competition it figured that some method of fast reloading was available.
5 Star Firearms is a great business, but for Taurus rimfires there is nothing. They do have good products for other Tauri though.

I can recommend them.
Speed Loaders

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've got HKS speedloaders for my 990. They work just fine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Okay -- Looking for a Taurus 970 or a S&W 617 long barrel. Any ideas? I'm in San Diego, California. Crossroads of the West is here this weekend. If you have one or the other, please let me know before I venture into that crazy candy store.

Thanks,

Tom in SD.
The Taurus Tracker 970 (and the 990 for that matter) is not on the California "Safe Gun List", so you cannot buy one new in CA. You might get really lucky and find one used and can PPT it, but again, that is really unlikely. Another option for you is the Taurus Model 94. There is one version of it on the CA DOJ list. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts