Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I have the blued 22lr sibling. I was thinking about it as an off hand pocket gun until I shot it. The trigger pull was too much for my left hand. I might still use it if I can find time this summer to put many hundreds of rounds downrange with it.

I was thinking (yes, that has been considered dangerous) something was wrong until I came across articles in Gun Tests magazine and the Gunblast.com website. They both mentioned a real heavy trigger pull (GB said it was normal, GT thought it was strange).

How does your trigger feel and how does it run beyond that?

Steelheart

·
32,481 Posts
Have a model 94 in .22lrf with a hard trigger similar to the 941's. Did a little dryfire project with snap caps and ran them through a 500 to 1,000 trigger pulls. This lightened smoothed and lightened the trigger pull just a little, but there was enough improvememt to make it worth it. If one uses empty cases for snap caps make sure the gun is unloaded with any other ammo and make sure no ammo is present in the area while dry firing. Since there are no .22mag snap caps made used casings may be needed. .22lrf snap caps may suffice in their place. This might not work if the firing pin hits in the wrong place or the cap moves around in the chamber. If used .22 mag casings are used only dry fire with them a couple or several times around with the cylinder and then replace with freshly used cases. Turning the cases after a couple of cylinder rotations works also and cushions the firing pin in the proper way. Dry firing without something in the chambers can cause damage to the firing pin and repairs will be needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
double action is heavy, single action is nice. in both 9422 and my new 941. these are both just toys as i carry kel-tec .380 or kel-tec p11 9mm.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I've put a few hundred rounds through mine. Didn't want to deal with the hassle of snap-caps for rimfire. Just the little bit I've shot mine helped my DA shooting already.

And once the weather warms up into the teens (or more) on a regular basis I might get out again. But I will admit that I'm lazy in cold weather, I'm more apt to shot my 22/45 as the clips are easier to deal with than a cylinder.

Steelheart

·
32,481 Posts
This has to one of the few revolvers that speedloaders aren't made for. Do have them for the 94 though. It makes carrying and using ammo easier in the field or for possible defense.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I found a place that says that they will be available soon (if you can believe that). The drawback is that I haven't heard much good about the long term reliablity of the Maxfire stuff.

http://www.speedloaders.com/availability.htm

They also show an 8 shot speedloader for the Smith 317, which is in 22LR. Makes me wonder if it might be compatable if another company made it.

Steelheart

·
32,481 Posts
A couple of years ago Maxfire was savaged by the press. It went un-nticed for the most part. Gun Tests Magazine did a article on speedloaders some time back and they were not happy campers either. Durability and usage problems developed and Maxfire seemed to go away for awhile.

There was some good press on newer Maxfires, but that is sketchy. If just reloading for sport then they got a clean bill of health. There was one writer that claimed with much practice speedloads under duress could be accomplished. Then again, that to seems to have gone un-noticed.

Seems the early ones were not heat treated properly or fell apart in rough use. Times change and companies do make improvements. Considering that the mag rags quite frequently have speed reload articles it behooves them to add Maxfire to the next try out. Trying to conceal carry these wee little beasties was also considered a draw back. The reloading handle was redesigned because of this. It was in the form of a loop. Try hiding that or securing it in a speedloader pouch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the 444 ulta lite..and i have had some problems with it..the barrel turned to the left, its a pressed fit so i had to send it back other then that its been fine...it also KICKS

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Why would I carry .22 mag for defense when a .38 is just as small? I have a .22 LR NAA mini I carry all the time in a "holster grip" in the off pocket. It's deep concealed and never primary, just better'n nothin' if I find myself needing it. I hit pretty well with it, too. It's also a quiet alternative for vermin, snakes, etc, though it's pretty loud out of that 1" barrel. I could carry a .22 mag mini, but it'd just be louder and not a lot more powerful in such a short little gun.

.22s are cool, but I don't consider them adequate for a primary self defense gun. My minimum is .380 ACP and I really prefer at least +P .38.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts