Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 22lr revolver with the crappy trigger and all. Put in a wolf spring kit but when I put in the trigger spring it won't stay cocked anymore. Seems to operate fine in double action mode but the hammer will not stay put in the cocked position for single action shooting. Everything seems to be put back together right as near as I can tell. Heck all I did was replace the trigger spring. What could I have screwed up? Thank you.
Regards, Sardine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The only thing I can think of without looking at it is if the spring is too long and coming to full compression before the trigger nose engages the sear notch in the hammer. I double action mode the hammer doesn't travel as far rearward as it does in single action. Take your sideplate off and and thumb the hammer back while watching. If the trigger spring is fully compressed too early you should be able to tell. You may need to cut a coil off the spring.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Yes - the trigger springs from Wolff (and even a couple I got from Taurus) are too long - cut off a coil or so and try it again - it works for me! good luck - let us know how it goes and hot your 94 shoots!

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Yes - the trigger springs from Wolff (and even a couple I got from Taurus) are too long - cut off a coil or so and try it again - it works for me! good luck - let us know how it goes and hot your 94 shoots!

............Ditto.... :icon_ lala:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Make sure the part the spring slides over in oriented correctly. Elbow towards the rear of the frame.

Reactions: Steyr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help so far. Been messing with this since 10am California time and still can't figure it out. I did notice that the 6.5 pound trigger spring is 1/8 inch shorter than the one I replaced. The other trigger spring is a 9.5 pounder and it is the same length as the original. I don't see how the shorter spring can be the problem but what do I know?
So I replaced the springs with the originals and it now will cock in single action but it's got a big hold up spot in it now and is not satisfactory at all. Originally this was so stiff, as it is now, that my wife cannot shoot it because she can't pull the hammer back and as we all know, forget about trying to shoot it double action.
Everything looks to be installed properly but I guess it really isn't? I think I will put the reduced power springs back in and take it to the smithey. I don't know how I could have screwed up something so simple?
Regards, Sardine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did you have the hammer strut and sping out of it? Not sure about the 94 but on some the strut is directional, ie has to go in with the bend in a certain direction. Having it in backwards won't work. Also check that the hand, that's the lever attached to the trigger that rotates the cylinder is installed properly. If not and it's binding the hammer won't pull back. Whenever I have one apart I like to check for smooth operation without the hammer and trigger spring installed to test for smooth operation. Install the trigger spring then check again. Then install hammer strut and spring last and test. That way you have a refferance to where the problem starts. Just watch that the stud on the trigger spring doesn't work out of the frame while testing.

Reactions: Sekol and Steyr

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Well now I know think I`ll leave mine as is...Wife can pick off a nickle at 65 yds

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. It is very accurate as it was at 25yds in single action mode with a 9 pound pull. No way the double action was gonna' work with the 15lb pull. That is why I want to give it a decent trigger pull to see what it does then and also the wifey poo can shoot it. I may have a nice revolver on my hands here if I can get a good trigger on it. I can't beleive we put up with crappy products like this. It's the american way I guess, because all gun manufacturers are the same. Kind'a like selling a car with 3 wheels on it according to me. Why do we put up with buying this stuff and having to "fix" it before we can use it in a reasonble way?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The problem isn't so much with manufacturing as it is wth simple physics. A rimfire cartridge takes a harder strike to reliably fire the cartridge than a centerfire primer does. Rimfire rims are just harder than primers. Couple that with a compact lightweight revolver with a light weight hammer and the springs have to be stiffer or you would have unreliable ignition. Larger rimfire revolvers with heavier hammers have more inertia so the springs don't have to be as stiff. Another factor is liability and safety. California has very strick safety standards and does drop tests on firearms. They must pass or they can't be sold in your state. I sympathise with your problem but manufacturers are over a barrel here. They are dambed if they do and out of bussiness if they don't.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Did you have the hammer strut and sping out of it? Not sure about the 94 but on some the strut is directional, ie has to go in with the bend in a certain direction. Having it in backwards won't work. Also check that the hand, that's the lever attached to the trigger that rotates the cylinder is installed properly. If not and it's binding the hammer won't pull back. Whenever I have one apart I like to check for smooth operation without the hammer and trigger spring installed to test for smooth operation. Install the trigger spring then check again. Then install hammer strut and spring last and test. That way you have a refferance to where the problem starts. Just watch that the stud on the trigger spring doesn't work out of the frame while testing.
Good ideas here by RedDog for you, Sardine. I don't have a 94, but the internals are probably pretty similar to this. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/22219-taurus-revolver-disassembly-pictorial-guide.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hope you get it worked out Sardine. Things don't always go the way we plan. I gave my sister a older model 85 DAO with no hammer. Even after a spring change and trigger job she had trouble with it. I let her shoot my 4" Tracker with 44sp loads and she loved it. Just goes to show smaller isn't always better when it comes to novice shooters. A four inch full size 38sp with light loads and good hearing protection is a good place to start. My philosophy with new shooters has always been to set them up to be succssesful first, then let them grow from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, it is with manufacturing. They can make a decent trigger pull if they want to. Don't try to feed me that dung, physics are there to support my claim. Smith & Wesson does it everyday so don't tell me taurus can't do it too. I have several rimfire pistols, revolvers and rifles with 3 lb trigger pulls that work just fine. There are larger rimfire cartridges? Never heard of them. You may have something there about Calif. but just you wait and see. It's coming to you too. It's a symptom of population. The more people get into your state the sooner your gonna' have our laws. Not that I'm in favor of that. I don't think the 94 is a light weight revolver or has a lightweight hammer. It's stock except for the two springs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where are my replys going? I have responded to two posts that havent shown up. they are not here. Where are they?

·
Registered
160 Posts
:mad:
Calm down there chief. I think most who read this realized I was talking about a larger revolver, not a larger caliber. Again, I am sorry your choice isn't working out for you. S&W makes fine revolvers and I'm sure there is one that will fit your needs perfectly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Make sure you go to "Post Quick Reply" in the lower right of your screen and click on that to enter your reply.
I have lost a post by going to the "+reply to thread" in the upper left part of the screen and clicking on that and away it goes, lost in cyberspace.
Bill W.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I think most who read this realized I was talking about a larger revolver, not a larger caliber. Again, I am sorry your choice isn't working out for you. S&W makes fine revolvers and I'm sure there is one that will fit your needs perfectly.
That's what I meant too by referencing a small frame revolver in my post.

Sardine, it is widely reported here that the small frame 94 and 941 have stiffer triggers than the larger framed Taurus Trackers that are also available in .22 LR or .22 WMR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts