Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a .22. I want a revolver. I can't seem to decide between the 94, or the 970. Price difference isn't the issue as how the 970 will only be about $25 more out the door.
It's not 9 vs 7 rounds, or 5 vs 6 1/2 inch barrel. But is the weight of the 970 (46 oz.) a problem over the 94 (24 oz.)? That's big difference. Is the action of one smoother than the other?
I am not a hunter, although I may take an occasional citrus rat. This will be used for recreation, and training.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
The heavy gun is easier to shoot off hand accurately, but for what you're describing as your uses, I think I'd go with the 94, frankly. It's easier on the hip afield and a great little plinker. It's accurate enough to shoot some game with, don't have to way five lbs for that. I might choose the 970 if I wanted to shoot rimfire silhouette or something, but for general field use, it's kinda a hog. LOL

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
I need a .22. I want a revolver. I can't seem to decide between the 94, or the 970. Price difference isn't the issue as how the 970 will only be about $25 more out the door.
It's not 9 vs 7 rounds, or 5 vs 6 1/2 inch barrel. But is the weight of the 970 (46 oz.) a problem over the 94 (24 oz.)? That's big difference. Is the action of one smoother than the other?
I am not a hunter, although I may take an occasional citrus rat. This will be used for recreation, and training.
Drummin Man, I currently own a M94 & a Tracker 970. In the past I've owned two other M94s. As far as shooting single action, I rate both equally. When shooting DA, the Tracker has IMO, a smoother and significantly lighter trigger pull. Bear in mind, this is against a M94 which already has had a lot of use and is smoother than M94s out of the box. If the additional weight doesn't bother you, I'd say go with the Tracker. To me, the extra weight of the larger revolver isn't that much more noticeable than the M94s.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Taurus_9mm, which gun is more accurate when shot shot off a rest with ammo it likes?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
treg said:
Taurus_9mm, which gun is more accurate when shot shot off a rest with ammo it likes?
Treg, accuracy between the two with good ammo is about a dead heat. They both perform well, give respectable groupings and feel good in the hand, though that last bit is strictly subjective. If I had to give one the nod over the other, again I'd go with the Tracker.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Tx, Taurus_9mm. I'm considering a .22 revo in the near furture. The size and weight of the 4" M94 are just right for the purpose of the gun, but I don't want to sacrifice too much in the accuracy dept.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts