Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I'm looking at the future and hoping that the wife gets better. I have been trying to convince her that moving to the US is better (way better) than living in the UK. With this in mind I was thinking on 922 R compliance. Say if I did move to the US I'm sure some of my firearms would not meet the 922R rules and others would need different licencing. I take it you cant own a saiga in factory military spec in the US? mine left the factory with pistol grip folding stock and bayonet lug? also what are the rules on barrel length ? My AR15 9mm has a 12" barrel and so do my 10/22 rifles and a couple of my bolt actions. Are 12" barrels legal on rifles in the US? also what are the rules on silencers ? Here in the UK you just ask the police for one for a firearm and it costs a £28 variation, for air rifles nothing is needed, you just go to the store and buy one. Are the rules the same in the US? I'm only thinking all this just in case I can convince her to move in the future.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Just my opinion, but the first critical things are getting your wife better, and making the move - either to the USA, or, better yet, TEXAS - there's a difference. Worry about the gun issue later. You'll be welcome anytime.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Chris - cashrr is funny!! Not about getting your wife better - that is a priority for sure, and I dont' know what the situation would be regarding moving her while still needing medical support etc - especially now that the whole health care system in this country is in a state of flux! But Texas is a very good place to think about moving to!

it's amazing how things between our countries, firearms wise, are sooo different - in this country if you want a supressor it takes 6 months to wait to get one plus an extra $200 for a "stamp" for it!!! And I think that most rifles need to have a barrel that is over 15" long (you other guys pipe right on in here - I'm not sure that it's like this all over the country). Actually - guess you could still have a rifle with a 12" barrel - but it would be considered a handgun regulation wise!

How is your wife doing? Please tell her we wish her a speedy recovery!;)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
You need to have a stamp for short barreled rifles, also. I believe it's also est. 6mo and $200 fee. Also, the application for Silencers
and SBR's need to be signed by (usually) your county Sheriff. It is not unheard of for some less than 2a friendly Sheriff's to refuse all
applications.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys I will read up on the NFA. As for the wife she is doing well. The Nurse took her drain out the other day and its healing good. She's back in hospital on Monday for a full body MRI to check everything else is ok before she starts the chemo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts