Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious if anybody who has one did any mods (spring, rod, etc.) and how did it affect the performance?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The gun is pretty new, but the frame is same as on PT92/99 so what ever fitts the 92frame will work in the 917.

why do you want to change anything? I think Beretta's D mainspring should work but not 100% sure. I have it installed on my 92FS - cheap and quick to change and only costs a few bucks; it made the trigger noticably lighter (esp in DA.)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
yes the beretta hammer spring is compatible, im running a compatibility list of taurus/beretta 92 parts.
a special warning that there is a extra pin for the lanyard loop/spring stop, the 2nd pin holds the taurus security system in place and there is a tiny baring that is very difficult to reset back into place and easily lost so be extra careful if you attempt a change.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3839.0

i have a D spring in my taurus 92.. it is lighter then the standard taurus spring however i think the taurus spring is already lighter then the beretta so its' not as night and day as it is on a beretta but after a good 200 or so rounds it's more evident that the spring is lighter.

in DA i did not notice much difference from teh stock taurus.. however in SA it was extremely light..

and has gray-wolf said it's the same 92 frame only the slide, barrel, guide rod, and recoil spring is shorter to make it flush with the frame.. basicly you shorten the gun by about a inch.

otherwise it's business as usual.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gray_Wolf said:
why do you want to change anything?
oh i was just curious if anybody who owns this besides me did any mods...im fairly new to OWNING firearms and was just wondering if i got a different spring or rod what kind of difference there would be in recoil (smoother, rougher etc) and i was curious about different grips available as well...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well grips for example are the same as the 92/99 and 100/101

hogue makes some very nice soft rubber side panels which i highly recommend.

i have a set of pachmayr full signatures with finger grooves on my 92.. it is a bit of a fat boy but after fondling it for 20 mins i really started to like it.

you can change the hammer spring if you like it will lighten the pull slightly..
you can try to find a red buffer or i've heard the new black jack buffers are almost as good as the old red ones.

those fit around the recoil spring, the ones that are a guide rod replacement for 92's wont work cause the slide and rod is shorter.

beretta hammers sadly are not compatible i wanted to put an elite hammer on mine but it wont work.

with out sending your gun to a professional im not sure what else you can do.. perhaps get some night sights installed..

the 92 design is pretty great out of the box and there are very few taurus specific parts out there.. most are for the beretta and sadly the taurus has a lot of compatibility problems since the newer berettas are different in design..

the taurus is like a separate branch of the evolution tree.. so it represents a good example of early 92 design, or perhaps a slightly alternate evolutionary path, this gives the gun the same qualities but sadly a lot of incompatibilities as a result.

it would be great if there was someone making mods for the taurus i know i'd love to see a mag catch for the taurus that made it compatible with beretta mags.. sadly this is'nt the case..

so my advice is get some nice grips and go shoot because without sending it out or having the skill to smith the gun your self there is very little you can do to improve on the design.

here's my 92 with the grips.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
should, far as i know the 917 is the same frame (lower) as the 92.. only it has a shorter slide,recoil spring, guide rod and barrel.

basically you lose about a inch in length the 92 the slide sticks out a bit, the 917 the slide is roughly the same length as the frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts