Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to purchase a Taurus 45 acp 1911 on Gun Broker. They have a couple a TALO models for sale. Does anyone know what this is? Doesn't look any different but they don't list all of the spec.
I have a 38 Super 1911 and love it.
Thanks in advance.
Thisisit

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
don't have a clue?
could it possibly be an aftermarket addition of parts?
I am not aware that Taurus offers a Talo package.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Talo is a gun distributor that takes stock firearms and "enhances" them, usually aesthetically. In most cases, the enhancement
really isn't worth the added price, IMO, but it varies from gun to gun. I believe the Talo enhancement on PT 1911's is usually
a highly polished bluing job and wood grips. In this case, (to me at least) it might be worth paying a bit more, as the PT 1911
looks Awesome in a polished blue finish!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks as this seem to be the case. The guns are polished blue with wood grips. The price is OK as people are not bidding the price up.
My 38 Super is polished blue and it is a nice finish.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Talo is a gun distributor that takes stock firearms and "enhances" them, usually aesthetically. In most cases, the enhancement
really isn't worth the added price, IMO, but it varies from gun to gun. I believe the Talo enhancement on PT 1911's is usually
a highly polished bluing job and wood grips. In this case, (to me at least) it might be worth paying a bit more, as the PT 1911
looks Awesome in a polished blue finish!
I agree,

Bought mine couple weeks ago, paid right under $600 with taxes.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Yep, got mine yesterday from a local shop also just under $600 and looks just like stallard's above, very shiny and has the same grips, also noticed that the magazines have all metal internals, another local shop had a standard pt1911 and i think its called the traveler or follower, something like that, the bit that the rounds set on and push down as you load it, on that taurus they were plastic, on mine they are metal, but he is clearly a better photographer, or at least has a better camera then i do, so i'll let his photos represent our fine 1911.

Mine however turned out to have a broken ejector, the gunk they had on it as a preservative kept it in place until i hit it with some one shot, and then the little pin that sticks out of it, fell right off. Going to call them tomorrow and see about its replacement but don't really want to ship the pistol off for something i can fix myself in an hour tops, even if it costs me $10-15 for the part, my dad had a WWII 1911 he inherited from his dad (and no amount of begging would get him to give it to me so i just bought my own) and we had to replace the ejector in it once due to his allowing a friend to shoot it and him dropping a round in the top, it broke it.

So if anyone knows of any drop in part that would save me having to send it off for a lengthy repair trip, i would love to hear about it. I already removed it just to make sure i wouldn't have any issues i had to send it off for, it came out without any issues.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
So if anyone knows of any drop in part that would save me having to send it off for a lengthy repair trip, i would love to hear about it. I already removed it just to make sure i wouldn't have any issues i had to send it off for, it came out without any issues.
TO my knowledge all 1911 ejectors are the same, they do come in a standard and a extended ejector, that notes the actual length of the finger that broke off.
I am pretty sure that taurus uses the extended size.
somebody else will chime in here in a bit with more info!
there is a thread on replacing the 1911 ejector if you will do a search, or go to Dawson precision website, they have a fairly good video showing the process.
the difficulty of getting the old one out is generally the most problem, the installation is pretty straight forward.
you may /or may not need to adjust it if you don't like the ejection angle once its in and fired but they usually work just find the way they come.
Ejectors generally run in the 25-35 dollar range from what i have seen.
welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay!
Call taurus and see if they won't just send you a new ejector, just tell them that you just bought it and what happened!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just curious, the Talo is a beauty but don't you fellows get tired wiping off fingerprints? I am afraid I would wear out the finish from so much wiping!!!

Reactions: RichO

·
9,093 Posts
I also thought TALO was an independent who takes standard firearms and dresses them up with new furniture and polishing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Taurus now makes the highly polished blued gun with the same grips as what Talo made. Talo quit making these some time back but they could still be out there for sale. The talo version of the PT1911 is the blue job and the grips and that is all. Some other Talo jobs do have a lot more done to the guns. I have wondered if some of these "talo" guns being advertised were just the new 2013 model from Taurus.

To know if you have a Taurus non-talo polisheed blued/wood grips gun, get the serial number and look it up on the Taurus website. If it is a Taurus blued gun it will have a model with a PBL on the end of it. The polished blue/wood grips Taurus is a new model for 2013.

You probably should read my other threads on here regarding my experience to date trying to get Taurus to repair my polished blue gun properly if you are looking at purchasing one. Maybe you will be lucky and not have the nightmare of problems I have had. If there really is such a thing as a friday gun I guess I have one.

2013 polished blued Taurus 1911pbl

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Stallard,

i can't stop staring at your photos. Very nice. I had a duo-tone pt1911 in my hands a couple weeks ago but they wanted $780 for it which I thought was highway robbery. I am going to keep an eye out for a deal on one like yours, it's a beauty.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
Stallard,

i can't stop staring at your photos. Very nice. I had a duo-tone pt1911 in my hands a couple weeks ago but they wanted $780 for it which I thought was highway robbery. I am going to keep an eye out for a deal on one like yours, it's a beauty.
Cough-cough-cough!!
excuse me i choked a bit on that one!
I paid 599.99 for my PT1911 DT.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Talo, like Lou Horton will petition a manufacturer to make a limited run to their specification. And if the demand and profits are there the manufacturer might add the product to their product lineup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts