Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17,580 Posts
Bad deal but it sounds like they need to crack down on people firing random shots.

Reactions: ICUKev

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Bad deal but it sounds like they need to crack down on people firing random shots.

That might work if, they can find the exact place in a city environment that the random shot was fired from, then find the person who actually fired the shot, and then prove with no ballistic evidence from a non recovered bullet that that person fired a random shot and was indeed the guilty party.

Yep, nothing to it!

Don

Reactions: ICUKev and CJS3

·
Registered
17,403 Posts
Should they be fired?
Heck, I don't know.
I wasn't there to see what happened.

Reactions: ICUKev and BangBang

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
First, the shooter was committed to a state hospital in September because he was incompetent to stand trial. Two months later he's at large. Why was he released and not remanded?

So, to the question. The caller reports two people arguing in the back yard (emphasis mine) followed by shots. The deputies drive around the neighborhood but never leave their car or make any attempt to contact the caller. The 911 operator's questions of the caller are inconclusive. So the deputies know (or should have been told by the 911 operator) that a man and woman were arguing and there were shots fired in a back yard. And the deputies never left their car to investigate. If that's not negligence I don't know what is. Yeah, they should at least get time off if not fired.

Reactions: Desperado

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Is it just me, or does NOBODY seem to be able to do their jobs right anymore? We are "low hanging" fruit, just waiting to be picked.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
When i lived in the city would hear gun shot's twice a week. Would call 911 and would be lucky if you would even see a patrol car come by. The joke at the time was " You could drag a dead body behind your car for days and no LEO would pull you over". In defense of LEO's unless you have lived or worked in one of the bad neighbor hoods you have no idea how aggravating and unlawful the people can be.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
You folks couldn't have read the story if you didn't catch this Jewel of investigative reporting "Dimundo, a canine deputy who was hired by the Sheriff’s Office in 2007, declined to comment."

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Unfortunately, there are incompetent people in all types of occupations, not just menial jobs.
I still think these two officers should have done more than just drive around the area, regardless of what type of area they were in.
They were derelict in their duty.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
You folks couldn't have read the story if you didn't catch this Jewel of investigative reporting "Dimundo, a canine deputy who was hired by the Sheriff’s Office in 2007, declined to comment."
I saw that but after thinking about it I realized that the author meant the dog handler not the dog.

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
I'm going off-track for a moment here, but when I was in elementary school we were taught better journalistic writing skills than just about anything I've seen from college grad journalists in the past several decades.

Back to the story: I can see both sides of the situation here. I lean toward the deputies getting their butts out of the car and doing more investigating before clearing the scene. (I'll bet they will, from now on.)

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are very few hero's on the job anymore. I had friends on the job back in the day. They would do what was right instead of going by the book (think Parkland Fla shooting deputy that held back). Today most are there just to put their time in long enough to collect their pension. Or they just want it on their resume when they go on to be a lawyer or something else. Sometimes to save lives the initiative to act fast is needed. Does it expose them to danger? Of course but sometimes it's necessary.

·
Premium Member
11,265 Posts
Unfortunately, there are incompetent people in all types of occupations, not just menial jobs.
I still think these two officers should have done more than just drive around the area, regardless of what type of area they were in.
Like the Sheriff said, "Shots fired calls are common and turn out to be unfounded most of the time." They cruised the area, no one flagged them down and the guy that called 911 had left the area. Apparently, no one else in the neighborhood thought there was anything wrong either. Not being a mind reader and having experience with bogus calls, I wouldn't have gotten out of the car. Hindsight is always 20/20.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Like the Sheriff said, "Shots fired calls are common and turn out to be unfounded most of the time." They cruised the area, no one flagged them down and the guy that called 911 had left the area. Apparently, no one else in the neighborhood thought there was anything wrong either. Not being a mind reader and having experience with bogus calls, I wouldn't have gotten out of the car. Hindsight is always 20/20.
I agree with you. If I were the policemen, I would have probably done the same thing. People tend to hear gunshots that end up being firecrackers, backfires and other things and there are frequent gunshots that are gunshots not intended to hit a person. I live in the sticks and I hear gunshots frequently and most times, it is me. I go out to the back yard and shoot between 20 and 100 rounds two or three times per week. The neighbors practice with their guns, hunt coyotes and various other critters all the time.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I don't know what else the cops could have done. They show up but have no further information, what can they do? Start going door to door asking for help?

When I'm in the UK I keep being asked, "Why do I NEED a gun? Why don't I just call the police?". I quote the Supreme Court ruling and say that the purpose of the police is to uphold the law, not to protect the citizens. "Protect and Serve" my eye. I also tell them that the average police response time in my rural county is at least 8 minutes and it's usually longer. What am I supposed to do for 8 minutes when someone is trying to break into my house? It usually gives them something to think about.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Originally posted by Desperado:

Originally posted by CJS3:

I still stand behind my getting their butts out of the car and doing some investigative work. It is called police work.
I have a friend in the Phoenix police force who works one of the rougher neighborhoods in Phoenix, and he said that he would get out of the car and try to determine where the shots were fired from and the direction they were fired in, especially if he had an address to go by.
Again, these guys should have got out and did more than "drive by policing" IMHO.
However, their actions do explain why I am armed and shoot back whenever possible.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
There are very few hero's on the job anymore. I had friends on the job back in the day. They would do what was right instead of going by the book (think Parkland Fla shooting deputy that held back). Today most are there just to put their time in long enough to collect their pension. Or they just want it on their resume when they go on to be a lawyer or something else. Sometimes to save lives the initiative to act fast is needed. Does it expose them to danger? Of course but sometimes it's necessary.
Thanks to lawyers, racial issues, and politics. I am sure the bulk of police don't like the way things are, but just "going along to get along"? They need to apply more of that when they respond to a shooting where the homeowner ends up blowing away a clown for B&E. JMHO.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
With the general public's attitude toward police They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The Pinellas County Sheriff is a nut job and and I've read where he does not have his deputies backs. He is a political hack..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts