Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to decide, which gun will you buy? and why? I've decided to get one of these by the end of the month. So please feel free to give me your comments and suggestions. :D

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i would definitely get the 92 unless maybe you're gonna CC, then the 909 would be better.

Im actually looking for a 909 right now.. i can't find one locally new or used.
buds has them for 430 i think.. but im not willing to pay more then 375 nib.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I have no hands-on experience with the 909 so I'll limit my comments to the PT92. Mine is my favorite pistol, period. It's accurate, durable & reliable and I've never had a failure to feed or eject. I had one failure to fire but that wasn't the pistol's fault, rather a dud round.

I've heard some mention the grip feels a bit thick to them so that may or may not be an issue for you, but did wish to mention it. To me it fits perfectly in my hand and since I've swapped out the factory grips for a set of rubber Hogues it feels even better.

From the comments I've read from others on the PT909, it's a fine pistol too and either one should serve you well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've held the 92 and the grip feels fine to me and it has been my dream gun since I saw the lethal weapon and die hard movies :D, but my only concern is the locking block problem with the 92. If it breaks I might have a hard time finding a replacement here in the Philippines. Incidentally, does the 909 have the same locking block problem like the 92?

I like the 909 also because its size and magazine capacity, of course because the grip is also the same as the 92. But it does not have the same history of performance of the 92.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A friend of mine is a security guard and ex LEO. He's carried the same PT 92 for about 5 yrs and has probably 3000-4000 rounds through it with no problems at all. I've shot it and it outshot the Berretta 92 I had at the time. I intend to get either it or the compact version later this summer...unless I find a nice 917 first.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
the 900 series 909,911,940 and 945 do not use locking blocks.. although they look like a smaller version of a 92's with closed slides they are a little different inside.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Definitely the PT92---it is the shining star of the Taurus line-up. When you hear others bashing Taurus products they never seem to mention the 92.

The 900 series is going to be on it's way out shortly with the advent of the 800 series. Should be out by early April from what I hear round the grapevine. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If a series is discontinued what happens to the lifetime warranty of Taurus for that particular line?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
You know, from what I have learned over the last 7 months, the warranty is for the life of a gun, not the life of a model for sale.

So your good to go.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya but it's a valid question i've often wondered my self..

if you have a cracked frame or something are they gonna go tool up and make you a new one?
doubtful..

They might say well we no longer make it so we'll give you a brand new *insert replacement here* which is a replacement for that line..

i'd be pretty pissed because it's not the gun you bought but on the other hand if they say they wont do anything else i suppose any gun is better then a broken one.

but i'd still be upset.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well, we had that problem with a camera, that was to be replaced by insurance. The original cost maybe 250, plus added lens, cases, and accessories, total of maybe $800 to 900. To replace with a similar model,as the original was no longer produced, cost the insurance company almost $6000 dollars. I like to died, but we accepted it.

But it was my wifes camera, and she never has liked the new one as well as the one she had used for years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if they do replace a gun of mine, I hope they replace it with a newer model or a model that was not also discontinued.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
yup the 917 has a shorter slide, barrel, guiderod, and recoil spring.

it fits pretty flush with the frame which is the same on the 92/99

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the comments guys I really appreciate it. I'll be doing some more research on the 917 before I decide.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it has been a long time since I posted something here, but I have finally odered a PT92, but my problem is that they say that the 92's mag capacity is only 15 rounds, isn't it 17?

My question is are there other models of the 92 that are 15 rounders? to my knowledge there's none

·
Administrator
17,666 Posts
The original Magazine Capacity of the PT92 was 15 rounds and some of the Taurus Website still reflects this.

Currently, 17 round flush fit magazines are available for the PT92 and your new PT92 should come with two of them. Optional slightly extended 20 rounders are also available. They are made by Mec-Gar and available either directly from Taurus or from dealers.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/taurus.html

Interestingly, the ad on CDNN lists them as 18 rounders, not 17, but I think they are 17 rounders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jwc007 said:
The original Magazine Capacity of the PT92 was 15 rounds and some of the Taurus Website still reflects this.

Currently, 17 round flush fit magazines are available for the PT92 and your new PT92 should come with two of them. Optional slightly extended 20 rounders are also available. They are made by Mec-Gar and available either directly from Taurus or from dealers.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/taurus.html

Interestingly, the ad on CDNN lists them as 18 rounders, not 17, but I think they are 17 rounders.

Thank you for the info, a friend of mine who got the 92 earlier this year also had 2 15 round mags come with his pistol. I guess here in the Philippines Taurus is trying to get rid of their 15 round mags. I'll just buy additional mags when my order arrives. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts