Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I've got a question for you Taurus experts out there. I picked up a new revolver yesterday, and I'm wondering exactly what I have. It's a 905 stainless 5-shot 9mm. OK so far, but it has about a 1" extension that is part of the frame, making the barrel 3". It is rifled all the way to the end, so I recon it's supposed to be there. I can't find a description or picture of a similar revolver on the Taurus website, or anywhere for that matter. Can any of you tell me what I've got? I'll take some pictures and post tonight. ABQBIll

·
Registered
69 Posts
Howdy, I've got a question for you Taurus experts out there. I picked up a new revolver yesterday, and I'm wondering exactly what I have. It's a 905 stainless 5-shot 9mm. OK so far, but it has about a 1" extension that is part of the frame, making the barrel 3". It is rifled all the way to the end, so I recon it's supposed to be there. I can't find a description or picture of a similar revolver on the Taurus website, or anywhere for that matter. Can any of you tell me what I've got? I'll take some pictures and post tonight. ABQBIll
I assume it is a used Revolver? If it were new you could read the manual that came with it. I am curious..... anxious to see the pics and more details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
905 with a 3" barrel

I assume it is a used Revolver? If it were new you could read the manual that came with it. I am curious..... anxious to see the pics and more details.
Yup, I know about RTFM; didn't get one with it. ;) After a closer look, it is still strange beast. The box says it is a "M905 3" SS M". The extension is definitely a integral part of the barrel assembly and is indeed 3". The groove towards the muzzle is still a mystery. It appears to have been made during manufacturing since the finish inside the groove is the same as the rest of the gun. I suppose I could have the extension cut down and crowned if I can't find a comfortable carry holster for this fugly little revolver. I'm posting some pictures and welcome any comments.

905 Box.JPG 905 Left.JPG 905 Right.JPG 905 Front.JPG 905 Barrel Groove.JPG

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Wow, that looks strange! I'm interested to see if anybody here has any answers for you. Was looking at the 905 a while back, thinking about purchasing, but never saw any that looked like this!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow..... that is interesting. I wonder if that was to mount a specially made suppressor or the like. I think you need to contact Taurus and provide the SN and those other numbers on the box label and ask them. I am really curious... and bet others are as well. Keep us posted on what they say in a follow up to this post if you can....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow..... that is interesting. I wonder if that was to mount a specially made suppressor or the like. I think you need to contact Taurus and provide the SN and those other numbers on the box label and ask them. I am really curious... and bet others are as well. Keep us posted on what they say in a follow up to this post if you can....
Mounting a suppressor on a revolver is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

It looks like some kind of weighting system was made for it. The little notch on the end looks like some type of retaining pin that would hold something on.

James

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've only seen something like that on the internet once. This is all I can find on it anymore.

Taurus Mod 94 Factory Error | The Firearm Blog
Chicharrones link talks about Taurus USA importing guns from Brazil with 3" barrels due to import restrictions, then cutting them down to 2" prior to US sale. This is the most plausible explanation I've seen so far. I'll try to confirm with Taurus. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
wow, I've never seen anything like that. Had to be some sort of special order or something.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I agree with JohnM on this one, it would be cool to thread the barrel for a suppressor mounting. It sure looks like a factory job and I would NOT cut it down as that ruins its uniqueness. Either its a factory error (but I doubt it since the box is marked as such) or it was a special run for someone.

BTW, did you find that on Gunbroker, ArmsList, etc? I know I saw a similar 3" Taurus one-off on some website lately and I think it was Gunbroker.com.

EDIT: drove me nutz to find the other oddball Taurus, its a 650 CIA with similar barrel: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331791188

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with JohnM on this one, it would be cool to thread the barrel for a suppressor mounting. It sure looks like a factory job and I would NOT cut it down as that ruins its uniqueness. Either its a factory error (but I doubt it since the box is marked as such) or it was a special run for someone.

BTW, did you find that on Gunbroker, ArmsList, etc? I know I saw a similar 3" Taurus one-off on some website lately and I think it was Gunbroker.com.

EDIT: drove me nutz to find the other oddball Taurus, its a 650 CIA with similar barrel: Taurus 650 CIA 357 mag 3" NIB Oddball : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
That 650 CIA looks like the same thing is going on; thanks for the link. I got this at Bulldog Firearms in Rio Rancho, NM. Just happened to be looking to trade a .380 and walked in at the right time. I think Chicharrones post is on the mark - it was likely imported from Brazil as a 3" and was supposed to be cut down to 2" for sale. Pretty cool to have the original box that says 3". I looked up serial number on the Taurus site, and it says it is a 905 2" SS. BTW, I shot it yesterday and it runs great. It's torn down for a good cleaning today.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Also, no one has mentioned, grips are totally unlike any I have seen Taurus install on their revolvers.

I wouldn't alter it, perhaps find a gunsmith to make a shroud matching the original barrel contour, and have a unique again 3" revolver.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is gonna kill me until I find out. Could these have been made for a movie prop of some sort? I noticed that each of those has those grooves on the barrel as it something was attached to it somehow. Obviously a can on it would do no good as it's a revolver but could it have been made for show or like I said as a working prop?

Reactions: ABQBill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is gonna kill me until I find out. Could these have been made for a movie prop of some sort? I noticed that each of those has those grooves on the barrel as it something was attached to it somehow. Obviously a can on it would do no good as it's a revolver but could it have been made for show or like I said as a working prop?
Not a prop, but good guess too. I confirmed with Taurus that is a gun that was imported from Brazil as a 3" due to import restrictions. It was supposed to be cut down to 2" for US sale. This one just snuck through somehow. I decided to send it to Taurus to be cut and crowned. I got it for daily carry, and it just isn't comfortable the way it is.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I WOULD NOT GET IT CUT DOWN.You have something unique, a one of a kind maybe. That puts a different value to it, especially if you can document the extended barrel as to why it is like it is. My guess is that a suppressor can be considered.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I WOULD NOT GET IT CUT DOWN.You have something unique, a one of a kind maybe. That puts a different value to it, especially if you can document the extended barrel as to why it is like it is. My guess is that a suppressor can be considered.
While I agree that it's special, I'm not sure if a Taurus is going to be all that collectible in any sort. And as others have said, a suppressor will not really do anything for a revolver....

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I'm with NotSoWildBill. The gun is unique. It is uglier than a Glock (I own two) or the typical HiPoint. And I like 3 inch barrels on a revolver, but this is like a mutation. And the grips...man I bet this thing will be worth a fortune in a decade or two.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I agree with those that appose the cutting ideal . First off Taurus does have the right to refuse fixing a gun that has been altered and if you cut the barrel off and it's suppose to be made that way then they would have every right to refuse it if it got broken or you had a problem with it . It is unique and i myself probably would have passed on it but then again that is MHO .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts