Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own the 905 IB 9mm revolver and was just wondering who else owns the 9mm revolver by Taurus. I have well over 1600 rounds down range, with only one glitch. The ejection rod broke around 1200 rounds. Sent it back to Taurus and after I got it back put 400 rounds w/o problems. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have one, but have some interest. Looked at Taurus's web site and couldn't find it anymore. Do you know if they have done away with it?

·
32,788 Posts
Might try downloading the 2007 catalog or requesting one be sent through the mail. Taurus' web-site seems to be in a minor state of flux right know. Could be the reason for the supposed no find. With all the updating that needs to take place or changes made it could be a while before things get back to normal.

·
32,788 Posts
Timmy, you are right. Nice revolver. The moon clips gave some fits. Others don't seem to mind. Interesting thing about revolver reloads. There are techniques for reloading standard revolvers either two rounds at a time after you fire two or open the cylinder and pull out only the ones fired and then reload those that need replacing. That is if the cartridges haven't all been fired. These are never run dry techniques.If the revolver is tipped downward to about 45 degrees with the cylinder open, one then uses the ejector rod to bring the cases up part way out. Then release the cylinder rod and let it go back into position. If done right the unfired cartidges fall back into the cylinder and the spent ones won't. They will stick out far enough to use the fingernails or pinching the rims to pull them out with a flick. Then reload from a two by two by two belt cartridge carrier or Bianchi Speed Strip. Can be done by hand also using the fingers to grasp the fresh cartridges one or two at a time.Refill accordingly.Shut the cylinder and you are back up and running. Takes much practice, but keeps one in the fight steadily rather than having to wait until the revolver runs dry. Carry a speedloader or two and then if either situation occurs, then you are ready for them. Can't do that with the 905. But then reload times are cut drastically by throwing fresh cartridges in with the full moon clips with the 905 model. Depnds on how one wants to do it.

·
Super Moderator
35,597 Posts
Yeah, moon clips are great, but it's much easier to tactical reload a normal ol' .38 using Bianchi speed strips. The 9 never really attracted me. I have a 9mm Kel Tec P11 that's a great gun, +P rated, and is more compact than 9mm revolvers tend to be. It also carries up to 13 rounds. So, I just never saw the point of the 9mm revolver.

I had an old 1917 Smith and Wesson war horse for a while, .45ACP moon clip gun used in the first world war to suppliment the 1911s which were new then and in short supply. That thing was pretty worn, but still shot pretty well. I sold it because it didn't like lead bullets and I don't like to spend money on jacketed stuff for range use, rather cast my own freebies. If that thing would have liked cast bullets I'd still have it. It was a NEAT old Smith. Heck, I probably should have kept it anyway even though I'd never shoot it. It was worth collecting, but it sure was in sad shape. I had to have a smith work it over before it was safe to shoot.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd like to get either a 905 or a 905IB as a pocket gun. I wouldn't worry about the reload issues as I wouldn't be planning on reloading it, I would be drawing the belt gun. But the 905 might be what I start (and hopefully end) the fight with as its what will be in my hand before it starts.

And 9mm is cheap.

Steelheart

1 - 7 of 7 Posts