Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of bang, bang, bang, etc. but wow, cleaning nine seperate chambers in a cylinder is NOT fun. And then X2 for the two cylinders for a 992 makes eighteen chambers, and (obviously) each one has to be done individually.

Maybe I should have bought a .22LR semiauto? But then no magnum. The 992 does use up targets in a hurry. OK, I'm done.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Gotta pay to play! JK It is a lot of work

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Some people would complain if they were hung from a new rope.. :):):):):):) Jk

·
Registered
25,027 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I must be goofy because I like cleaning guns. The only one I ever owned and dreaded cleaning was an AR. Here's a tip on cleaning those 9 shot cylinders, spray with solvent, chuck a section of pistol cleaning rod into a slow speed cordless drill/driver and buy a few bore mops. I have a SS version of the 992 and I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish to get the "black" off the cylinder faces.

·
Registered
30,011 Posts
I must be goofy because I like cleaning guns.
Well then I'm goofy too! :D I enjoy it, its relaxing. I just cleaned one tonight! :D

Reactions: Wingshot

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yep. And add me to the "Goofy Likes Cleaning Guns List" including my nine shot Taurus 990. In fact, I think it's easier to clean a revolver than a semi cause there aren't all the "nooks & crannies" as in a semi. I use a Q-tip dipped in Frog Lube and clean out the cylinder and barrel in no time. Swipe around the cylinder frame opening (what's the right term for that?) with a Frog Lube soaked cloth, tooth brush the power cone and cylinder front face and wipe er all down and re-fill the speed loaders.. Hmmph.. Think I'll go over that gun again after my coffee..

Reactions: Wingshot

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
I have even taken to cleaning other peoples guns as well. I usually clean one a night be it mine or a friends. I enjoy it.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Hee-hee! That's why I got a 970 - only 7 chambers to clean! :cool:

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
It seems to me that cleaning the cylinders of a m992 would be easier than cleaning most revolvers. Just remove the crane / cylinder assembly first. That should give you easier access to the rest of the gun, also.
I have a break-top H&R Sportsman, also a 9 shooter. The cylinder removes, and being a "flip top", that allows cleaning of the barrel from the rear.
Oh, and cleaning revolvers is easier than cleaning semi-automatics. With semi-autos, especially blued ones, I never know for sure if all of the residue is gone down inside. (Actually, I know it ain't 100%.) I also use the aerosol C.L.P. now, so that should be an improvement over just using Hoppe's with patches and a nylon brush. I'm considering the purchase of a sonic cleaner because of the semi-auto's myriad of internal parts.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I love to clean, but 6 is the magic number.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Man, I wish I had your problems.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
I like cleaning my guns too. First read to clean every 500 rounds, but I find myself cleaning after EVERY range session. Agree, if you dance to the music, you gotta pay the piper

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My "dirty" .22lr weapon is my marlin model 60. My heritage roughrider was ok to clean. The buckmark (semiauto) didn't seem to get as dirty. Go figure. But i love the smell of remoil, so i enjoy cleaning them.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm in the; "I don't mind cleaning my guns" camp. I find it really relaxing, and almost therapeutic!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts