Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy’s I have a model 605ss2 that the trigger pull and hammer drop is not near as smooth as either of my 85ss2’s.

The 605 has been cleaned and lubed so I know it is not that.

I’ve ordered a set of Wolf reduced pressure springs. Has anyone given the Wolf 9 lb hammer and 6.5 lb trigger springs a try?

I understand the factory hammer spring is 11 lbs.

I watched a short film on YouTube where the gentleman said with the 9 lb hammer spring he had 1 out of every 3 rounds that failed to fire using double action. The single action mode was OK.

Do you have any thoughts about the 9 lb instead of the factory 11 lb hammer springs?

Look forward to your comments. I'm depending on my Taurus buddies for some advise.

·
Administrator
40,276 Posts
I ordered a three spring set of Wolff springs for my Ruger SP 101 a while back. I think, but I'm not sure, that the factory spring was 14lbs. I replaced it with the 9lb. Liked it so much, I left the trigger reset spring alone. It's working perfectly in double and single action. I realize it's not a 85/605, but might give you an idea. My results were very good.

Reactions: djh

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
djh,
Smoothness of a trigger pull and fall is based on friction of internal parts. The smoother the friction surfaces, the smoother the trigger pull and fall.

I HIGHLY recommend reviewing this sticky: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/22219-taurus-revolver-disassembly-pictorial-guide.html

What you want to do is remove and inspect the trigger, hand, and hammer assembly, ESPECIALLY the sides that rub against frame, and the frame itself for ANY roughness, and to remove that roughness with a fine knife sharpening stone wetted with gun oil. GO LIGHTLY with the metal removal, you want to smooth the surface, NOT remove metal. Also, remove any burrs you see, and smooth the area near the burr as much as possible. Reassemble with a good gun lube of your choice, and try it out.

As for springs, I usually DO NOT change out the factory springs until AFTER I have done this smoothing exercise. You just may be surprised at what this little exercise will do.

P.S.: Wonder why those classic Colt revolvers always had such smooth triggers? This little exercise was done at the factory prior to the gun being shipped out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
On my 85 I polished the Internals and went 9lb hammer and 9lb trigger(thinking of changing out the trigger to a 6lb) a night and
day difference...I also shimmed the hammer .300 on each side, QC was a bit Iffy back In 1995.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Read several accounts of light hammer strikes when going to the 9 lb Wolf hammer spring.
I think I will clean up the internal parts as suggested and change out the trigger spring to the 6.5 lb Wolf spring. I can see where you have to shorten that spring by 1.5 coils. That is not a problem.
I will then evaluate it again.
I want no part of light hammer strikes.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I received my Wolf reduced tension springs for my 605 in today’s mail and headed straight for my loading room.
I took 2 coils off the Trigger Spring took the gun apart, polished all the surfaces and put it back together with light gun oil.

O my O my what a difference. Smooth action and light Trigger pull.

I can’t believe the difference.

I left the Factory Hammer Spring in the gun.

Went to my gun club and put 50 rounds of 38 Special and 50 rounds 357 Magnum through the gun without a hitch.

Smooth action and light Trigger pull.

By the way I am going back to this 605 as my everyday carry gun. The model 617 I have been carrying is just too big and heavy for me to carry.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts