Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
8,986 Posts
I think the 85's have been disco'd. Stock has almost completely dried up. I did see a stainless UL 85 today at Cabela's in Rogers Ark. NIB for around $300 I think. Taurus wants to move everyone to the 856 and 857, so those are starting to show up. One more round than the 85's.

Reactions: Bruntson

·
23,101 Posts
Wow. There are exactly zero 85 ultralights on gunbroker right now.

·
Registered
29,851 Posts
That's the first I heard of the being discontinued. Bummer, I love mine! I'm carrying it today as a matter of fact.

To the OP, if you can find one at a good price, I'd jump on it.

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
259 Posts
My LGS store has a UL .380.
Good looking revolver. Anyone have any insight on the potential pitfalls of this?
Yeah I know it is not a .38 SP, but looks like it may be fun.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have had mine several years and love it, great revolver, very accurate, never a hick up of any type, shoot about a 50/50 mix of +p and regular .38special. I do have my eye on a 856 revolver, haven't found one yet, also, it would be great if Taurus would produce a (606), 6 shot .357 mag and a (906) 6 shot 9mm. I would want all three, but I am not telling my wife!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am in a complete state of shock. After reading some of the post I decided to check out the web-site of the arms wholesaler Sports South. To my surprise they no longer even list the Taurus model 85 in any configuration.

They do now list the 856 but not the 857 on there inventory list.

TAU 2856021M 856B 38SP 2IN BLK $335.67

TAU 2856029 856SS 38SP 2IN SS $351.36

TAU 2856029UL 856SSUL ULTLT 38SP 2IN SS $351.36

I am quite surprised Taurus would drop the model 85.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Taurus® has not dropped the Mdl 85! Look at the website and/or verify with customer service...

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
The 85 is like the "bread and butter" revolver for Taurus. Hard to believe they'd discontinue it, but given that they discontinued the lifetime warranty, I wouldn't be surprised they'd be getting rid of the older models. Glad I got another one last year.

Reactions: pradeep1

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Taurus® has not dropped the Mdl 85! Look at the website and/or verify with customer service...
Actually, I think they have; I think whatever dealers have in stock right now is it for the model. When you visit gun search sites like ammoseek, wikiarms, and gunwatcher, they show results for several 85 models; but once you get to the sites they show sold out for most of them. What it says on the website doesn't mean much because they keep altering or changing what's available or still being manufactured almost daily; keeping that info up to date doesn't seem like a top priority.

·
23,101 Posts
The 85 is like the "bread and butter" revolver for Taurus.
The regular 85, yes. But what about the ultralight the OP asked about?

·
Registered
952 Posts
lots of ruger lcr's if you want something small and light. Mine has about the same force(though different "feel") of recoil as my heavier 85 stainless

·
23,101 Posts
I will never buy a polymer framed revolver. But I very, very often carry my aluminum framed Cobra. So no, I won't get an LCR if I want something small and light. Oh, and aluminum framed are smaller than poly framed to my eye.

Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
952 Posts
small point but the frame itself is not polymer.
I will never buy a polymer framed revolver. But I very, very often carry my aluminum framed Cobra. So no, I won't get an LCR if I want something small and light. Oh, and aluminum framed are smaller than poly framed to my eye.

Just one man's opinion.

·
23,101 Posts
small point but the frame itself is not polymer.
The following is meant with complete, absolute sincerity; thanks for the education! Wow! Despite what it says here - https://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=865&category=Revolver

It was really easy to find statements supporting your assertion. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/taurus-85-38-revolver-polymer/

Which makes me even less interested. Metal framed revolvers are efficient, elegant, and excellent examples of engineering. Why go out of your way to make them look like tupperware?

Reactions: kshunter
1 - 20 of 30 Posts