Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

In early 2007 I bought a model 85 Ultralite. In the manual it seems vague about the use of +P ammo. Does anyone know if +P loads should be limited to a certain amount? Maybe a certain amount per range session? I prefer 158gr ammo. Thanks.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Considering the short barrel on the 85's, +P loads aren't worth the money IMO. You're basically paying more to beat up a gun, which isn't my idea of fun personally. All in all, it should be safe since +P loads in .38 are about 21,000 PSI, which was the standard load about 20 years ago, while todays ammo is standard between 16,000-18,000 PSI. But under 5 inches of barrel length doesn't give the projectile enough room to fully spin up and utilize the extra force behind it, but the muzzle flashes look cool.

Reactions: 1550vt

·
Administrator
35,312 Posts
According to the Taurus catalog, the only Taurus gun that isn't +P rated is the magnesium 856. Everything else is fine......feel free to load up +P's for self defense and to shoot some at the range.

The higher pressures will, of course, wear any gun out over time if fed a consistent diet of them, so I usually just put enough through to ensure reliability and then keep it loaded with them for self defense. ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I totally agree with post #2. Shooting +P out of the UL is within it's limits, as it is +P rated, but why beat-up a gun....especially a lightweight just to be macho (no harm intended).

Every time you fire that weapon it wears. Over time....the frame even stretches, which affects B/C gap and end-shake, You hardly gain a thing with the use of +P ammo out of that 2-inch barrel and I honestly think it was invented as a rouse to sell more ammo and more guns chambered for it. There are just too many good standard pressure 38-special SD loads out there.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
This question is beaten to potted meat on a dozen or so internet gun forums; so much so that we need a "sticky" for the subject matter.

1. Today's commerical +P ammo isn't that hot.

2. Mechanically sound recently manufactored guns aren't gonna blow up using it.

3. If you're rich enough, you may be able to buy enough +P ammo to shoot one loose; possible accelerated wear is the only negative.

4. Using it in a 2" barreled gun doesn't gain a lot, most folks would be better off with standard pressure rounds and lots of practice.

5. If one is "that worried" about using it, don't; you're not missing out on anything.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
This question is beaten to potted meat on a dozen or so internet gun forums; so much so that we need a "sticky" for the subject matter.

1. Today's commerical +P ammo isn't that hot.

2. Mechanically sound recently manufactored guns aren't gonna blow up using it.

3. If you're rich enough, you may be able to buy enough +P ammo to shoot one loose; possible accelerated wear is the only negative.

4. Using it in a 2" barreled gun doesn't gain a lot, most folks would be better off with standard pressure rounds and lots of practice.

5. If one is "that worried" about using it, don't; you're not missing out on anything.
​Absolutely right!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
According to the Taurus catalog, the only Taurus gun that isn't +P rated is the magnesium 856. Everything else is fine... ;)
I learned something new today.

Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I learned something from reading the book today too. The reason that the UL revolvers ain't supposed to be used with +P rounds that have bullets under 125 grains in weight is that they can cause flame erosion of the cylinder face.

I have a friend who purchased one of the snubby .357 mag titanium models and uses .38 +P ammo in it. He wanted to use 110 grain bullets but the book said no. I'm his reloading instructor so he asked me why. I didn't know the answer, so like a good teacher, I was forced to do the research. My M44C Tracker book had the answer on page 9 regarding the "Total Titanium" .357's.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use a regular load in mine, if you use hollow points when using it as a conceal carry, I think it will do the trick!!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Looking at the comment on this post actual prodded me today to apply for a license on an 85UL its a good cc weapon simple operation minimum maintenance and light. it loads a 38 special which is available in most places just like the 45acp and the 9mm. a snubby is a close quarter piece so hitting a vital is close to given. have a chance to shoot a snubby of my friend and I like the result at 10yards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts