Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Recently purchased an 856CH and was wondering if someone could answer a few questions.

1. Does anyone know what grain ammo the sights are calibrated to? I've been shooting 130grain FMJ so far and am wondering how that might be impacting my hits (e.g. if the sights have been calibrated for 158grain)

2. Anyone know if the sights are set for 6 o'clock, center, or combat hold?

Thanks in advance!

J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone help?

Anyone have some insight?

Hi guys,

Recently purchased an 856CH and was wondering if someone could answer a few questions.

1. Does anyone know what grain ammo the sights are calibrated to? I've been shooting 130grain FMJ so far and am wondering how that might be impacting my hits (e.g. if the sights have been calibrated for 158grain)

2. Anyone know if the sights are set for 6 o'clock, center, or combat hold?

Thanks in advance!

J

·
Registered
13 Posts
From my experience, snubbie .38 revolver fixed sights are usually designed around 158 gr bullet loads. A snubbie is really intended for use within 25 ft (8 yds). Also, such a short sight radius on the gun does not contribute to longer distance accuracy. How snubbies shoot at 25 yds or more can vary widely, depending on the individual gun and how it was machined and assembled. Point shooting is a valuable skill to learn and practice for someone who relies on a snubbie revolver or pocket pistol for defensive purposes.

P.S.: A center hold is the usual sighting for a small handgun, but you need to shoot your gun, with your ammo, at the shorter distances to see how it prints on paper (aka: POA vs POI - point of aim vs point of impact).

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can figure this out experimentally. Get a few different weight loads (say 110, 125, 158 grain), shoot from a rest at 10 to 25 yards, and see what the results are between loads, using the same sight picture.

There's another question that you'll need to find out. It's not just what weight loading the gun is sighted to, it's what range it's sighted to. Bigger guns may be sighted to 25 yards. I doubt a .38 snubbie is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts