Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one herd of a Taurus 856 Revolver? It's a 6 shot 38. What other new stuff do they have? I did't see it on their Web Site.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
It is in the 2008 catalog, and it shows if you use the Product search on the web site. Not sure if it is out yet, but here is what they say. :rolleyes:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Another Taurus first! 20% more firepower with virtually no gain in size! The 856 Blue and Stainless are essentially the Model 85 in a six-shot version. So how did Taurus do it? With a clever mini gain in size we squeezed in the sixth hole in the cylinder. See it for yourself! It's "what's newest" at Taurus for 2008.

OK, from my point of view, they have made another 6 shot Rossi 38/357 but it looks nice if you want an extra round, and do not want to go for the 7 or 8 round 357's

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Dave said:
Do they have a 6 round 367?
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
These revolvers are a longtime favorite of security personnel and perfect for Homeland Defense Forces. With a choice of .38 Special +P (Model 82) or .357 Magnum (Model 65), this medium frame, 6-shot revolver features comfortable rubber grips and a deep, lustrous finish. With fixed sights and a custom Single Action/Double Action trigger for improved accuracy and speed, the 65 and 82 are the perfect partners for whatever trouble lurks around the corner.

For even more firepower, the Model 66 steps up to the plate with an impressive 7 rounds of .357 Magnum.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry, I ment do they have a 6 shot 357 in 2" ?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I have not seen any on the web site, and the Digital Catalog that I remember. So I would have to say, that a 2" 6 rd 357 is not currently on the menu, but wait a bit and it probably will be.
If they are producing it in 38's could 357 be far behind. They make the 6 rd 357 for Rossi, so how hard could it be.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They have the 617 in .357 Magnum which is a 7-shot .357 Magnum and the 817 which is a 7-shot .38 Special both in 2 inch barrels with fixed sights. I'm considering a 617 SS or 817 SSUL.

ECS

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the 617DAO in SS. I like it a lot. I put a Hogue Grip on because the stock grip was too small. The Ribber Grip is nice but it was a little too wide for my gimpped finger. I carry it IWB. with a five shot backup snub in the pocket.

·
Super Moderator
35,150 Posts
Well, I ain't gonna bother trading in my 85 for an extra round.

·
Registered
212 Posts
With Taurus, the problem is often having TOO MANY choices!

The Taurus 856 .38 Special in Magnesium (856HL2MG) is new on the site, or maybe I just noticed it:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=616&category=Revolver

Apparently this is the UL version of the new 6-round 856. It's apparently 13oz empty (what, did they take off the grips before weighing?).

It sounds great. Does anyone own one of these, and about how much did it cost? The website doesn't list an MSRP. Could you comment on its quality?

Note that the 7-round, 2 inch barrel 617 (.357 Magnum) and 817 (.38 Special) 817 have compact frames, not small frames. The compact frame is slightly larger. You get two extra rounds, but gain a little bulk. If you like to wear baggy clothes (butt crack jeans anyone?) or if you'll only carry it in the glove compartment, the advantage of two extra rounds could be a critical factor.

I.:.C

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have an 817 UL and even though the frame is similar to the Tracker it still conceals quite nicely with a good belt holster. I've even carried it IWB. It actually weighs less than a stainless 85.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: 856??? what else is new???

I visited a shop today and asked about the new 856 6-round .38 SPL+P in magnesium alloy. Unfortunately it's not yet available, but they were able to get me a price quote of ~$380.00 (before sales tax). It's listed on the Taurus website at:

The blue steel version is 22 oz and the magnesium version is only 13 oz--that's amazingly light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking to buy my first Taurus.

Was looking at the 85UL, 817UL & S&W 360 than saw the 856 Magnesium on the Taurus website, I called Taurus and was told this fall. Sounds like it will fill my needs, .38 special (no +P but thats ok), 6rds and 13 some oz.

How is the Magnesium compared to the Scadium?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Dave said:
I'm sorry, I ment do they have a 6 shot 357 in 2" ?
Last was the discontinued Mdl 606 w/ the 2¼" barrel.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Elm Creek Smith said:
They have the 617 in .357 Magnum which is a 7-shot .357 Magnum and the 817 which is a 7-shot .38 Special both in 2 inch barrels with fixed sights. I'm considering a 617 SS or 817 SSUL.

ECS
Although the web site & catalog doesn't say so (2"), the barrels on these models are actually 2¼".

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
NYPD said:
I have an 817 UL and even though the frame is similar to the Tracker it still conceals quite nicely with a good belt holster. I've even carried it IWB. It actually weighs less than a stainless 85.
What made you choose the 817 over the more versatile 617? Was it the combination of high capacity and light weight?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
badge851 said:
What made you choose the 817 over the more versatile 617? was it the combination of high capacity and light weight?
Lightweight....and I got a great price for my blued 817UL---$299 brand new.
Besides that, I had 2 other .357 snubs already---a Ruger SP101 and a S&W 340 AirLite.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Indrid Cold said:
I visited a shop today and asked about the new 856 6-round .38 SPL+P in magnesium alloy. Unfortunately it's not yet available, but they were able to get me a price quote of ~$380.00 (before sales tax). It's listed on the Taurus website at:

The blue steel version is 22 oz and the magnesium version is only 13 oz--that's amazingly light.

FWIW the UL Magnesium Mdl 856 IS NOT +P Rated, only the steel frame models are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
badge851 said:
Although the web site & catalog doesn't say so (2"), the barrels on these models are actually 2¼".
That's a bummer for me, I was hoping for .38 light weight with 1 7/8" - 2" MAX for CC pocket carry. Why the longer S&W model 60 size barrel? for more control since it's so light?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
jbone said:
That's a bummer for me, I was hoping for .38 light weight with 1 7/8" - 2" MAX for CC pocket carry. Why the longer S&W model 60 size barrel? for more control since it's so light?
The 617/817 series have 2¼" barrels; the 85 series 38 Specials all have true 2" barrels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts