Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned about the existence of the 856 today, when someone posted about the 3-in models on another forum. On paper, it appears to be the perfect package for a kit gun or carry piece, but I would like to know more about long-term durability. I usually invest quite a bit of time and some money in getting a firearm dialed in before I'm happy. It's not even so much the money; if I had to start over on the time investment in a short timeframe, that would be very frustrating.

I've been able to find a lot of semi-commercial or commercial reviews of the 856, but none of them have gone past 500 rounds. Some reports have shown failures to function out of the box, but unlike some of the posts here on other guns, they were resolved at least somewhat quickly by Taurus.

I'm used to gun reviews that get past 2000 rounds; in some places, that is regarded as the benchmark for something having been adequately initially checked out to trust it. Can start to show some wear, etc., have some things go wrong if they're going to. Think H&Ks. They're expensive, but you can generally expect well past 100k rounds with only minor parts service.

Who has the most rounds through a single 856? Not really interested in hearing about anything less than 1000. Would be more interested in 2000-10,000 or more.

What goes wrong with these over the long haul? What wears out? How do they loosen up?

Anybody?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I don't think you will find a lot of high rounds shot through a 6 round revolver that has not been out long. I don't shoot mine that much and it is not the kind of gun people normally take to the range.

·
Registered
244 Posts
IMO 2000 rounds is a ridiculous number to arbitrarily say, "Okay, NOW I trust it". Maybe for a semi-auto rifle where you're shooting that much through it in a day or two. A pistol? Never.

If a pistol is going to fail, it's going to fail well before 2000 and for a lot of pistols, 2000 is going to wear it out a bit, not 'wear it in'. If a pistol doesn't fail at 50, 100, 200 rounds, it's likely not going to fail due to a design issue.

I haven't seen any reviews stating it's failed out of the box, that honestly sounds like Taurus haters posting nonsense about a gun they neither own nor have actually seen. I've read a lot of "reviews" like that online.

That said, I've put about 600 rounds through my 856, all error free, various types of ammo from home loads to high end SD. No issues at all. This is the 3rd or 4th Taurus revolver I've owned, all have functioned just fine.

·
21,958 Posts
IMO 2000 rounds is a ridiculous number to arbitrarily say, "Okay, NOW I trust it".
I see what you're saying, but I doubt anyone would argue that 2000 should get your into the sweet spot of the bathtub curve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I don't consider reliability under 100k miles to be much of an indicator of a car's ultimate quality and durability, unless it's negative reports. Most cars will hold together that long fairly well, and that has been the case for 30-35 years. At 200k, you have a real test going.

Bringing context back to greater relevance, there's a Glock 9mm with documented ~348k rounds. USP 9mm has documented >500k, and a USP 45 has documented ~300k. There are reasonably well-regarded semis that have "major overhaul" type parts replacement schedules at ~20-25k with heavy users, who have done that multiple times. Plenty of people have a basis to expect modern firearms to go 50-100k rounds.

I still haven't seen any report of an 856 going even 1k rounds. I'm not dumping on it for that reason, as me not knowing about somebody doing it doesn't mean it can't be done. Obviously.

I'm just wondering if there is someone out there who's done a lot of work with one. Because I'm contemplating it. If a 3-in. 856 runs and holds up, it could be a nearly perfect thing. But if it turns to junk at 2k or 4k, the time and ammo will be a much bigger loss than sawing the frame in pieces and throwing the whole thing in a metal scrap bin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think you will find a lot of high rounds shot through a 6 round revolver that has not been out long. I don't shoot mine that much and it is not the kind of gun people normally take to the range.
I agree with this post. It might be hard to find a 856 with 10,000 or even 1,000 rounds through it, because it's just not as enjoyable to shoot as a medium or large frame revolver. It's like a Ruger LCP, it's made to be light and concealable, not really for range gun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have about 400 rounds through my 856UL. Bought it last fall and shot it a lot for about two months. It's my first revolver in 30 years, and just enjoyed shooting it. Yes, it's a handfull but not punishing. However, I send it back to Taurus in mid December. It was having trigger problems. It had problems right out of the box. When I first got the gun, I dry fired with snap caps. Every now and then, the trigger would not go back in double action. I would let the pressure off the trigger and then would work fine. Humm, did I short stroke the trigger? Maybe. The trigger has a pretty stiff spring and returns very well, as moves your finger forward easily after firing. Got worse over time. Bummed out some. But, a quick goggle search of revolvers show that all makes have had some trouble at times. Hey, it's a mechanical machine and things happen. I have not seen any posting of 856 trigger problems just a few cylinder timing problems. It's not the first time I've sent a gun back for repairs. Dealing with Taurus went just fine. Only on hold for 10 minutes and set up a repair with them sending me a free shipping label. Bummed out on the 12 week turn around though. I guess I'll see it back by March. Maybe the 3 inch will be out by then and I'll just go buy one. That way, I'll have two 856's.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm used to gun reviews that get past 2000 rounds; in some places, that is regarded as the benchmark for something having been adequately initially checked out to trust it. Can start to show some wear, etc., have some things go wrong if they're going to. Think H&Ks. They're expensive, but you can generally expect well past 100k rounds with only minor parts service.

Who has the most rounds through a single 856? Not really interested in hearing about anything less than 1000. Would be more interested in 2000-10,000 or more.

What goes wrong with these over the long haul? What wears out? How do they loosen up?

Anybody?
If this is the benchmark we should all live by as you so staunchly do, maybe you could be so kind to purchase the 856 and put it through the torture test and report back with the results.

The 856 hasn't been around very long to put that many rounds through it. I have one but I also have a whole bunch more guns to shoot at the range and if I don't they get a little cranky and it hurts their feelings to be left out.

It doesn't make much sense to me to spend $250 - $275 for a gun and then another $560 on ammo to determine whether it's worthy to carry.

https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special-130-gr-fmj-fiocchi-1000-rounds

For me, I'm more interested in whether the gun has a problem in the first couple hundred. It shouldn't happen but it has. Now that REALLY frosts my butt!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have 360 rounds through my new production 856 stainless (22oz), half of which +P. I've probably got a thousand dry fires on it as well. It works fine, and I trust it. It has given me no reason to think it won't keep going for a very long time. Considering the relative low cost, I feel it's a solid bargain for a very good revolver.

My suggestion to you (OP), given your stated interests, is to consider the 856 along side other makes. Pick the one that feels right and meets your goals. If you require long-term durability information before making your choice, you could consider the model 85 as a proxy which has a long-term good reputation. The 856 is not different enough to matter in my lay opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The question posed here borders on ridiculous. Police officers used to carry S&W revolvers in this part of the country. I suspect many officers retired before putting 10,000 rounds through them. I can't imagine putting 3 times as much money in ammo as I do in the pistol before considering it reliable. Even custom high end 1911s are considered good to go at 1,000 rounds. I've never heard of a Wilson or Nighthawk having to be fired 10,000 times before being considered reliable. I cast when I fish but you may be trolling.

·
Registered
601 Posts
"Bringing context back to greater relevance, there's a Glock 9mm with documented ~348k rounds. USP 9mm has documented >500k, and a USP 45 has documented ~300k. There are reasonably well-regarded semis that have "major overhaul" type parts replacement schedules" at ~20-25k with heavy users, who have done that multiple times. Plenty of people have a basis to expect modern firearms to go 50-100k rounds"
This reminds me of the tale about the 200 year old axe that I have.........The head has been replace 4 times and the handle 8 times but it's still working just fine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called a friend who was on staff at the Atlanta PD at their academy for 24 years. He said most officers never fired 10,000 rounds during their entire career. He said they fired in qualifying twice a year and most never fired more than 3 or 4 rounds a year outside of that. An officer would have to serve 50 years to fire that many rounds. Their guns were considered reliable though or they wouldn't have carried them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a S&W Model 63, it easily has 2K rounds through it. My SIG 1911 Stainless Elite 9mm has about the same. Both flawless so far. Can't say the same for my SIG 22LR 1911 (GSG really) jam-mo-matic with most ammo. My SIG P238 is also perfect but has barely hit 1000 rounds I think but I consider it 100% reliable even at that round count.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder about the alloy frames some, but being a .38 I'm guessing they're okay for a good while. Though steel would hold up better/Longer I'm sure. Six rounds at a time though? Not sure how many times a session I'd wanna reload.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 856 CH SS a couple of months ago, after much research. I've put 1500 rounds through it and it has been flawless. Stages nicely, shoots as accurate as I will allow it to. I generally fire 150 rounds per range session, mix of 130 and 158 FMJ, and find it very fun to shoot. I read all the stingy hand reviews/warnings, must say I enjoy shooting it. Yep after 150 round the web of my hand knows something has been hitting it but not painful at all for an average size guy. Buy it you'll like it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had this discussion with the armorer at my FFL, a retired 30 year sheriff who had been the lead handgun instructor and armorer for his department, and a well respected handgun competitor.
Said back when they were issued revolvers, if it passed his initial inspection and went bang every time the trigger was pulled during it's initial training course run, it was approved for duty. His department's course required 60 rounds of fire if the officer made the required hits in the required time and didn't need to run through it again. If LE were willing to stake their lives on 60 rounds of reliable discharge from a new handgun, have no problem doing the same.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I hope someday to win the lottery and have enough $$$ to buy enough ammo to actually wear out any firearm. Of course at that point I'd still have enough $$$ left to simply just buy a new one? lol

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had this discussion with the armorer at my FFL, a retired 30 year sheriff who had been the lead handgun instructor and armorer for his department, and reamined a well respected handgun competitor.
Said back when they were issued revolvers, if it passed his initial inspection and went bang every time the trigger was pulled during it's initial training course run, it was approved for duty. His department's course required 60 rounds of fire if the officer made the required hits in the required time and didn't need to run through it again. If LE were willing to stake their lives on 60 rounds of reliable discharge from a new handgun, have no problem doing the same.
I'm with you on this. I would take a close look at the interfacing parts and observe how they were wearing. If all looked normal, I'd be cool. I would begin to worry about the aluminum alloy frames after significant round counts though. I wonder how many rounds it takes before they begin to get out of spec?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm with you on this. I would take a close look at the interfacing parts and observe how they were wearing. If all looked normal, I'd be cool. I would begin to worry about the aluminum alloy frames after significant round counts though. I wonder how many rounds it takes before they begin to get out of spec?
Many more than one would need to defend one's life with it and weekly practice sessions.

If anyone wants a dedicated range gun, then buy something other than a snubbie. The idea of 10,000 rounds through any gun intended for self-defense is idiocy. Are we talking military usage here or civilian?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts