Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that it has been posted before, but if you carry the 85 what holster(s) do you use. thanks for any input. :???:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I DONT WAIST CARRY, BUT IN POCKET, IVE TRIED ,UNCLE MIKES WAS O/K, TRIES TO COME BACK OUT WITH GUN, AND THEN I GOT THE DESANTIS NEMESIS, THE NEMESES ROCKS..STAYS IN POCKET VERY WELL WHERE IT NEEDS TO ...WHILE DRAWING 85UL ,VERY NICE....FOR C/C CARRY...MY 2..

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but how do you guys like the 85UL? My dad is looking for something comparable to a S&W 637 and I suggested a Taurus revo.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Sorry, forget my inquiry. I just read a bunch of posts about the 85UL and it seems like everybody loves this gun.

·
Super Moderator
35,133 Posts
I have a home made IWB, but mostly carry the 85UL on an ankle or in a pocket. If I ankle carry it, it's back up on trips and such. It's easy and fast to reach while driving or seated in a restaurant when getting to a pocket gun would be a little slow. I sometimes use the same home made IWB for my 3" M66 .357, rides well if heavy.

Soon as I get my daughter and all her crap out of my house, I'm going to do some more leather work, fun and handy when you need a holster. I just haven't had room for several years to mess with it.

If I were to BUY a holster for the gun, I'd get a Rosen Workman tuckable. I have one for my Kel Tec P11 and it's awesome, comfy, and beautifully made. It was pricey, but first class leather. I don't use it a lot anymore cause I pocket the Kel Tec, too, now days.

Oh, the ultra light 85 is an awesome carry IMHO. Trigger is superb, quite accurate.

·
Super Moderator
35,133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,133 Posts
Just go to the tandy leather site and get a starter kit. It's actually pretty fun and not that tough to make the stuff. The art is in the artwork and I haven't really gotten into that. I did it in 7th grade shop class, made a wallet and something else I can't remember, but I'm going to get deeper into it when I get room to mess with it.

This holster turned out great, though, functionally. It's very comfy. I added the rise at the back to protect my love handles from the gun and it also serves, along with the stiff leather, to help me reholster one handed. The high dollar stuff has a spring metal to hold it open and is normally form fitted to the gun. The fitting is easy to do, did it with a wallet holster I made for a little 380. All ya do is put the gun in a plastic baggy to protect it, then stuff it in the holster and wet the leather to form it. Then, let it dry with the gun/baggy in it. I didn't want that with this one because I have a 3" M66, the 85, and a Rossi 3" M68 all of which I carry from time to time in it.

I don't like those spring steel things, usually have a chunk of leather covering them that has a sharp edge that cuts into the love handles. I have a Sparks Summer Special I glued a piece of light leather over to cover that edge and protect from the decocker of my Ruger autos. That thing was torture until I did that. An advantage of making your own is that YOU know what you want and like in the rig.

Most folks have a large box full of holsters they've tossed for one reason or another. I kinda think making your own reduces some of that inventory. LOL!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an older all steel 85, and my favorite way to belt carry is the Triple K Skeleton Holster. I have to imagine it would be even more comfy if it were an Ultra Lite. Here it is alongside my Uncle Mike's pocket holster:

Here is Triple K's page:
http://www.triplek.com/Pages/ProdInfo.cfm?ProdID=249

I also have a De Santis thumb break scabbard for when I expect to be more physically active, and I used to have a Fobus paddle holster that I regret selling to a buddy. Some people like Fobus rigs and some people don't. After I got i got the hang of it, I liked it very much. Here is their site:
https://secure.fobusholster.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=254&osCsid=ed5ce16ef8ce988fecc14e88f27418f8

·
Registered
878 Posts
Bianchi Black widow.  Best I've found.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bought the Black Widow also but in the mirror image. Very comfortable, even while driving.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bianchi Black widow, looks great, but does the exposed trigger cause and concerns? Just curious. thanks ;D

·
Administrator
35,408 Posts
Triple K Skeleton holster.....hope that's just a model number, and not an indication of who carries it..... :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guarantee you, I am pretty darn far from being a skeleton! My girlfriend's an amazing cook...

·
Administrator
35,408 Posts
well....I was referring to triple-K....like the KKK.....like, I was just kidding, so don't shoot me..... :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
well....I was referring to triple-K....like the KKK.....like, I was just kidding, so don't shoot me..... :p
dang that never even occurred to me. triple K=KKK, odd thing to name a business.

·
Registered
878 Posts
pocketcarry said:
Bianchi Black widow, looks great, but does the exposed trigger cause and concerns? Just curious. thanks ;D
The retention strap holds the hammer in the down position. You can't pull the trigger while it's secure in the holster.

·
Registered
107 Posts
well....I was referring to triple-K....like the KKK.....like, I was just kidding, so don't shoot me..... Tongue
Wow. I never even noticed that. I wonder if they've taken heat for that over the years. It is a bit creepy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts