Taurus Firearm Forum banner

85 UL Strong Recoil!

6K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  righty 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally got the chance to test my new 85 UL using 38 special today on the range for the first time. I was planning to shoot 100round to break-in the piece and see how it perform. Since I always shoot with a full sized 1911 45acp and 24/7 9mm I am familiar with the recoil of those. I was surprised with the sharp recoil of the 85 UL and noticed that everytime it shoots it was painful to the web of my hand (between the thumb and forefinger) I am not sure if it is because of age, soft hand, proper grip or the 85 UL simply have a focused recoil owing to its small grip. On the 50th round i have to give up on the 100rnds plan and give my hand it a rest. Of course with a first time usage my hits was all over the target at 10yards without any clear grouping. Any of you guys have the same problem and would have some helpful hint on the issue? Thanks

Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

See less See more
#2 ·
I feel your pain...there's no way I'd want to shoot 100 rounds out of my 605 .357 Magnum Taurus during a single range session either.;)

In fact, about ten rounds is about all the "fun" I can stand per session! :D

#3 ·
I have a 85 UL SS and found the recoil to be very manageable, I would guess the small CCW grip design that comes standard is just not made for your hand. Try a shooting glove, it will cure what you are describing and allow you to practice and be much more comfortable.

#4 · (Edited)
Coincidently I took my new 85 UL to the range yesterday too. I didn't shoot 50 I shot 20. The first 5 in SA I put all inside the 7 ring without a rest at 10 yds. I then shot 5 in DA as fast as I could get it back on target.... only one hit the paper. I hear what you're saying. Each time I walked to the target after shooting 5 my hand felt a bit of numbness.

I have a huge S&W 686 .357 that weight 42 ozs. Shooting .38 spl. in it if it were not for the noise you could hardly tell it went off, very low recoil. My 85 UL weighs 16.5 ozs. the force required to move the Taurus is much less the S&W resulting in more recoil. The recoil is about what I expected. Not really punishing but manageable

I did not buy the 85 UL for a range gun. Its for personal defense. I'll never feel the recoil if I ever have to use it in a PD situation.

It is what it is. It fits my needs perfectly.

#5 ·
Simple laws of physics, the energy has to go somewhere. With a lighter weapon you have to absorb more of the recoil.
This is the reason most people do not shoot ultralite snubbies for target practice or plinking.

#6 ·
Many guns are made for carrying a lot and shooting a little. The pocket centerfire semi-autos and the lightweight revolvers fall into that category. They are NOT fun to shoot, and were never designed to be.

#9 ·
I shoot lighter loads than factory ammo in .38 special at the range.

#10 · (Edited)
Pachmayer® Presentation/Compac™ Grips #03396 tames the recoil of the harsest loads. I shoot 150-250 rounds per range session with no ill effects..........

#12 ·
Next time try some standard pressure 158gr bullet loads and even better if they are lead instead of jacketed. I think you will find a difference. Not a huge difference, but a noticeable one. Jacketed bullets need more pressure and light bullets need more powder to eat up the existing extra case volume. Both of those make for more recoil.

#13 ·
This would be the law of physics in action lightweight firearms have less mass ( weight ) to absorb the recoil as others have mentioned the lightweights are designed for ease of carrying.

Like the old single shot 12ga. I got from a good friend it has the tenite stock and forearm and is light as a feather to carry all day and never notice it, but put a box of even field loads through it and your shoulder will ache for a week!!!

#16 ·
There is little that you can do about the mass of the gun, however possibly changing the grips may help some. I replaced the factory grips on my M85 (blue steel) with hogue grips and it definitely feels better and I think I shoot better with them on as well due to it fitting my hand better. Here is a picture of the grips I installed.

Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

#17 ·
How about looking at ammo?
Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business makes 2 excellent .38 Special standard rounds. Stay away from the hard cast bullets load.

The other two have +P velocities without the +P recoil and pressures.
Hornady.com - Accurate, Deadly, Dependable - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc has some excellent rounds as well. Here they are.
38 Special 110 gr FTX® Critical Defense®
SKU: 90310 | 25/BX

MSRP: $27.85

Purchase From Retailer
See details 38 Special 125 gr XTP®
SKU: 90322 | 25/BX

MSRP: $24.84
Purchase From Retailer
See details 38 Special 158 gr XTP®
SKU: 90362 | 25/BX

MSRP: $25.45
Purchase From Retailer

Federal makes the 125gr. Nyclad standarf pressure load that has an excellent documented real world record.

There's also a 110gr. load. Federal Premium - Home

Winchester has the Silvertip in standard pressure,110gr. at that , and a 125gr. +P version.
Winchester Ammunition

#19 ·
Based on the comment on this post, I have concluded that:
a) All you guy of the taurusarmed.net are awesome and technically sound in thier recommendation and comment.
b) I do not plan to get rid of my M85
c) Wearing shooting gloves is a solution
d) Using a lighter load is an option
e) M85 is not a range gun but a CCW thus should be measured from that perspective.

Thanks people! great assist...

#20 ·
If you are happy with your selection great. Just saying for me I prefer the extra weight. My 617 for me is a perfect balance of weight and comfortable conceal-ability Not too heavy to carry and can put 100+ .357 through her in a session without my hand feeling like I was hit with a baseball bat. Just in my case if I am going to carry I want to be able to shoot a lot. But again this is perfect for me and not for everyone.

#21 ·
If the Hogue Monogrip doesn't fit your hand then you could also try the Pachmayr Compac. I bought one of each of them for my S&W 640 back when I really thought I would practice with magnums in it. I thought the Compac fit my hand better and soaked up more recoil. But it did add a bit of bulk to the gun.

#22 · (Edited)
I bought a Pachmayr Compac for my 327 Mas it has a better feel than the houge to me and a plce for your odd ifunger Taurus missed on the pkt grips . Mine shot ok with the factory grip but after 50 rds or so i notice a peice of skin missing on the inside of my thumb back near the web . Pachmyer grip are a bit softer than what Taurus supplies , here with Don Hume holster and Pachmyr grips installed
~~RR~~

#23 · (Edited)
As I iterated earlier, the Pachmayr® Presentation/Compac™ grips tame recoil like no other. IMHO, they are THE BEST grips for small frame Taurus® wheel guns.

#26 ·
Like Badge said, get the compac grips from pachmayer. Less than $30 and a huge improvement. Still easily concealed if you plan to carry. My 14 year old and I both shot 50 rounds of .38+p 125 grain jhp out of the 605 snubby the other day with no ill effects...in fact, it WAS downright fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.