Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed the flute edges of the cylinder did not line up with the top strap. The first two pics are opposite side views showing the difference.
Shadows and lighting make it look worse that it really is

I looked down the barrel with a flashlight (unloaded of course), the cylinder and barrel seemed to be perfectly aligned and the firing pin seems to be perfectly aligned with everything is should be aligned with.

You can not hardly see it in this pic but the barrel hole is not centered in its frame. Its offset about the same as the offset in the cylinder as related to the top strap. I can't take a pic of it but the back of the barrel is also off center by what looks like the same distance as everything else.

It looks like everything is lined up to fire but this seems odd to me. Its almost as if it were planned that-a-way.

·
Registered
339 Posts
intentional misalignment for right-handed shooters to offset the torque of the bullet hitting the rifleing. :D

i don't know. is the gun new? i would give Taurus CS a call and see what they say.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I guess I would never have thought about it unless you pointed it out. If your revolver otherwise seems to be in time, and functions well with good accuracy, I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, like 44 said, you do have the lifetime warranty to back it up, so I too would give CS a call....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to the range today. It put 5 inside the 7 ring at 10 yds. It seems to be functioning perfectly. The trigger is smooth in DA as well as "hair" in SA. Recoil is a bit harsher than I'm use to but not punishing.
After thinking this situation over and actually shooting the gun I've decided it was intentionally made that way or a huge series of fowl ups came together to make a perfectly aligned although slightly canted working piece of machinery. If the cylinder was misaligned the barrel was misaligned too.... that would be an unlikely coincidence. As long as the gun shoots spot on I ain't gonna worry about it.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Good, smart decision.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its going to work out for the reasons I bought it. It is lighter in weight than any other thing I considered, its all metal and it functions perfectly. The lighter weight (on my wife's Weight Watcher scales it weighs 16.5 oz, plus 3 ozs when loaded. Nothing else worth having can approach that kind of lack of weight. Personally I have more faith in a revolver in the dreaded SHTF situation.

Now if my Simply Rugged Silver Dollar pancake will get here I'll be all set.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I took it to the range today. It put 5 inside the 7 ring at 10 yds. It seems to be functioning perfectly. The trigger is smooth in DA as well as "hair" in SA. Recoil is a bit harsher than I'm use to but not punishing.
After thinking this situation over and actually shooting the gun I've decided it was intentionally made that way or a huge series of fowl ups came together to make a perfectly aligned although slightly canted working piece of machinery. If the cylinder was misaligned the barrel was misaligned too.... that would be an unlikely coincidence. As long as the gun shoots spot on I ain't gonna worry about it.
I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Brother, I like the way you think. SO MANY people (and sometimes I do it) obsess over the smallest things. Well played sir, well played!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Brother, I like the way you think. SO MANY people (and sometimes I do it) obsess over the smallest things. Well played sir, well played!
I would be concerned if there were metal shavings on the edge of the back of the barrel or it did not shoot straight but I can find absolutely no reason to say its defective. I've examined the gun from ever conceivable angle and as far as I can tell the only thing out of alignment is the cylinder flutes to the top strap. I'm not going to give it another thought.

Preciate replies.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And the firing pin is hitting dead center.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 605 has some minor imperfections too. Not every cylinder locks as tightly on lock up, the cylinder to cone gap varies between .004 to .008 and it also has a little bit of what you just mentioned. But it shoots great. We have to remember that we paid about half of what we would have if we bought a s&w or Ruger. That comes with some compromises. I plan to keep shooting my 605 until I have problems. In case I'm mistaken, the lifetime warranty lasts for a lifetime. I am choosing not to obsess about this stuff until I consider the gun unsafe. But everyone is different and I'm sure others may not agree...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The individual cylinders in the magazine are also slightly off, all in the same directions as if it were drilled out wrong or the flutes ground out a little bit off. I can not explain why the barrel is also off center if the cylinder was not manufactured to proper tolerances. Everything in the firing sequence is in perfect alignment and the gun shoots straight.

My only concern now is the thickness of material on one side between the firing chambers and the cylinder flutes..... it is reduced on one side by perhaps the thickness of 3 sheets of paper, almost undetectable to the naked eye but I can see it. I would not be happy if the cylinder gave way but it is so minute I doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
The individual cylinders in the magazine are also slightly off, all in the same directions as if it were drilled out wrong or the flutes ground out a little bit off. I can not explain why the barrel is also off center if the cylinder was not manufactured to proper tolerances. Everything in the firing sequence is in perfect alignment and the gun shoots straight.

My only concern now is the thickness of material on one side between the firing chambers and the cylinder flutes..... it is reduced on one side by perhaps the thickness of 3 sheets of paper, almost undetectable to the naked eye but I can see it. I would not be happy if the cylinder gave way but it is so minute I doubt that will happen.
Don't you mean the individual chambers of the cylinder? Revolvers have no magazine(s).

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Don't you mean the individual chambers of the cylinder? Revolvers have no magazine(s).
Yes, excuse my lack of proper terminology. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. I'm now concerned the lack of thickness will cause the cylinder to be weak. Its easier to see with the burnt powder stain as it relates to the distance to the flute.

Now after posting the pic I notice the distance to the flute on the lesser side is still greater than the distance to the outside of the cylinder... straight out if you will. I don't think I will concern myself because the weakest portion of the cylinder wall is straight to the outside and not the lessened distance caused by the offset drilling.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't imagine the steps in the manufacturing process that caused this gun to happen. Nearly everything is off center, canted or otherwise looks odd. Yet it preforms flawlessly and accurately.

Its as if someone threw a hand full of scrap metal in the air and it landed as a 21 jewel swiss pocket watch that keeps perfect time.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Yes, excuse my lack of proper terminology. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. I'm now concerned the lack of thickness will cause the cylinder to be weak. Its easier to see with the burnt powder stain as it relates to the distance to the flute.

Now after posting the pic I notice the distance to the flute on the lesser side is still greater than the distance to the outside of the cylinder... straight out if you will. I don't think I will concern myself because the weakest portion of the cylinder wall is straight to the outside and not the lessened distance caused by the offset drilling.
Forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about the distance (gap) between the face of the cylinder to the forcing cone; which is commonly referred to as the "barrel to cylinder gap"? Or, the thickness of the cylinder between the "Notch" of the cylinder stop and the chamber? Or, the distance and thickness between each individual chamber?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think he means the chamber is not centered between the cylinder flutes. But I may be wrong. One of my chambers is off a hair too, but lines up perfectly when locked.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about the distance (gap) between the face of the cylinder to the forcing cone; which is commonly referred to as the "barrel to cylinder gap"? Or, the thickness of the cylinder between the "Notch" of the cylinder stop and the chamber? Or, the distance and thickness between each individual chamber?
I use the word "flute" because a cylinder without them is called "unfluted". Its the hollowed out portion of the outside of the cylinder. Forget "forcing cone" its inside the barrel and is not effected nor is the distance from the cylinder to forcing cone, it nice and tight and true. "Cylinder Stop" I assume to be the small notch just behind the flute that causes a spring loaded "pin" in the frame to stop the cylinder from rotating further, both of which working together I would call the cylinder stop.

The distances I'm talking about as shown in the last pic is 1) the distance between the hole in the cylinder where the bullet goes and the distance to the hollowed out portion of the outside of the cylinder, the "flute". 2) the distance between the hole where the bullet goes and that portion of the cylinder which is not hollowed out, also on the outside of the cylinder....

I was trying to say that distance one is greater than distance two. Since distance two is a standard distance and should be strong enough to retain the integrity of the cylinder it is still a shorter distance than distance one... so the cylinder is as strong as it was designed to be.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks like you have a cylinder with chambers drilled off center. Mine also looks slightly off center but not as bad as yours. I would call Taurus and see what they say. Depending on what they tell you, I may also send mine in. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Looks like you have a cylinder with chambers drilled off center. Mine also looks slightly off center but not as bad as yours. I would call Taurus and see what they say. Depending on what they tell you, I may also send mine in. Keep me posted.
Because the gun shots perfectly and there is no weaknesses due to lack of metal I'm not going to do anything about it. Although things are not as they should be everything involved in the firing sequence is straight and true I'm not going to spend the time and trouble it try to correct something that aint broke.

I did not buy the gun expecting perfection. I bought it as a beater, something to throw in the glove box or put in the bed stand in a motel or whatever. I have other more expensive guns including S&Ws and Rugers that I bought for different reason and gave a lot more money for..... those I would probably ask the manufacturer to make right..... not this one, it'll do just as it is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts