Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 UL or Not?

How can one tell if a Taurus 85 is an Ultra Lite or not? I bought a NIB one about 6mo ago, the box says the Model # is 2-850029UL and the serial number on the box & revolver match. I assumed the UL meant it was an Ultra Lite, but unlike other 85 Ultra Lites I have seen, Ultra Lite is not inscribed on the side of the revolver. :???:

Is this just another way Taurus is trying to confused everyone, similar to what they did on the Mill Pro line?

It's not a big deal either way as I got a nice little revolver that shoots just a well as any 2" snubby does, and I got it at a good price, but I am curious about the missing Ultra Lite on the side.

·
Super Moderator
35,007 Posts
Re: 85 UL or Not?

Mine's a stainless one, but you can tell from the difference in finish from the frame and more polished cylinder on it and I think the blued ones are similar in that difference, anodized body, polished blue steel cylinder.

Or, you could weigh the gun. The UL is around 17 ounces, the standard 85 is something like 23 or 24 ounces I think. Either way, you have a danged fine carry piece there.

·
Super Moderator
35,007 Posts

Here's mine. I'm thinkin' if it don't say "Ultra Lite" on the side, it's probably not an ultra lite. Ignore the front sight, been modified.

·
Registered
118 Posts

If you have a SS, or stainless steel finish, you can tell the difference by the comparing the barrel with the frame. On ULs, the barrels are steel, and the frame is Al. The barrels will have a much smoother and finer finish than the frame

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the pics guys, I guess I don't have an Ultra Lite. Not a big deal as I do like this little guy a lot. :thumb:

It came with Crimson Trace grips on it which are OK. I don't like the feel, but since it's in our bed room for my wife to use if needed, they sure do help. :shooter:

If I didn't have my PT140 as my carry gun, I'd use this one for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I could do that. I'd have to get my wife another gun to use in case she needed it while I wasn't home. There's my reason to buy the PT111 I want. :clap:

·
Registered
228 Posts

I carry a S&W M13 3 inch, a Taurus 85SSUL, and a KelTec P32. We have a S&W M681 4 inch with Crimson Trace grips for the "house gun." My wife likes the 681 and thinks the laser is great.

ECS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts