Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pondering all possibilities I've about decided to get the 85 UL SS. Correct me if my assumptions are incorrect. The barrel and cylinder are made of steel and the frame is aluminum alloy. I know there is a titanium model but that is not being considered.
A guy weighed a 85 UL on YouTube at 16.6 ozs. Weight is an important consideration for me because of my body shape (pot belly and small butt). Weight around my waist tends to pull my britches down. A guy on the MilPro board weighed a PT 111/140 at 24 ozs., a 7/16 of a pound more than the 85 UL plus extra cartridge weight.

I've read reports of brass sticking in the cylinder until it cools down... true?, Hard trigger pull in DA... true?

Is this gun durable?

Thanks for input

·
Registered
50 Posts
my buddy has the titanium one and out of 3 or 4 hundred rounds ive shot through it i never had one stick in the cylinder and as far as i know neither has he out of the 2000+ rounds hes ran through it. it has a stiff pull in dual action but personally i like it its not really rough just a heavy pull.and i would consider it durable imo it is a quality revolver, i liked his so much i have a non titanium 85 ss ul on layaway for myself at the moment

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Pondering all possibilities I've about decided to get the 85 UL SS. Correct me if my assumptions are incorrect. The barrel and cylinder are made of steel and the frame is aluminum alloy. I know there is a titanium model but that is not being considered.
A guy weighed a 85 UL on YouTube at 16.6 ozs. Weight is an important consideration for me because of my body shape (pot belly and small butt). Weight around my waist tends to pull my britches down. A guy on the MilPro board weighed a PT 111/140 at 24 ozs., a 7/16 of a pound more than the 85 UL plus extra cartridge weight.

I've read reports of brass sticking in the cylinder until it cools down... true?, Hard trigger pull in DA... true?

Is this gun durable?

Thanks for input
I have the same exact gun bought new in 2007, mine is my "ALWAYS GUN". Always in the sense that it is on my person every waking moment of every day. It is the first gun I put on in the morning, and the last one I take off at night. It serves as a BUG to my Taurus® Mdls [email protected], or 617SS2. At present, here at home, while dressed in sweats; it serves as a primary. It's on me at 4:30 in a DeSantis® SOF -TUCK. If I could only have one Taurus® handgun; the Mdl 85SS2UL would be the one I would keep. I have experienced sticking cases, but; this was after a timed, rapid fire, qualification (42 rounds). And the sticking was easily cleared by smacking the ejector rod a second time.

I use the first load for practice, and the second as my carry SD load..........
38 SPL 158 Grain Full Metal Jacket Flat Point
Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Both loads print exactly to POA. If you use the Buffalo Bore® load for SD as I do, you will be well defended indeed!

Reactions: DDDWho

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would someone address my question about material, is the frame aluminum alloy and the working parts of the crane, the cylinder and barrel SS steel? Also what effect does solvents and brass brushes have on aluminum?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Would someone address my question about material, is the frame aluminum alloy and the working parts of the crane, the cylinder and barrel SS steel? Also what effect does solvents and brass brushes have on aluminum?

Thanks
Yes to the first question and no to the second.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts