Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 605 the exact same size as the 85? The reason I ask is because my model 85 has plenty of room in front of the bullets in the cylinder. It had me wondering if the inside machining of the cylinder is the only thing different between the two or if the 605 frame is actually a few milimeters longer.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
While they may appear the same, the metalurgy may be different, allowing for higher pressures in the 605. Using a micrometer to compare the two may show some dimentional differences.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i believe the frame of the 605 is slightly longer than the 85, to accommodate the longer cylinder. Since the .357 rounds are slightly longer than the .38 special rounds.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had a model 85, and now have a 605. The 605 weighs ~3oz. more than the 85, so I'm thinking that there might be a bit of difference in the length to account for the extra weight. The Taurus website shows both guns to be the same length, however.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I compared to two just the other day. The length and hight are the same as well as the cylinder length (so much for longer cylinders on 357 mags). Where the two just are different, is the 605 has 2 to 3 more ounces in the gun. Most likely on the cylinder, making it slightly wider.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Here's a re-post of something I spotted a couple of months ago (with some editing for a brain fart):

While out shooting yesterday I noticed something interesting. My M65 has a longer cylinder than my M650. So I thought I'd post the numbers for others here as a point of interest.

M65 357 magnum (medium frame, 4" barrel, blued): 1.635"

M650 357 magnum (small frame, 2" barrel, blued): 1.565"

M85 38 special (small frame, 2" barrel, stainless): 1.51" (just for reference)

All the measurements are a rough average of numbers taken a various points around the cylinder.

When we noticed this we put a 357 magnum 158gr JSP in for a visual reference. There was a definite difference in available space. I don't have any 180gr loads around to try and see how they look.

I'd guess that the only time this could cause an issue is with a heavy bullet that has started to pull out of its case due to recoil. Remember that it doesn't have to be just the rounds you've previously fired from that cylinder if you have had that particular round in the cylinder previously and fired the others (say 2-3, not necessarily 4-5) and put it back into the box for later. No, I have not had this issue with this, its just something I've read about.

Steelheart

·
Registered
118 Posts
Steelheart said:
Here's a re-post of something I spotted a couple of months ago (with some editing for a brain fart):

While out shooting yesterday I noticed something interesting. My M65 has a longer cylinder than my M650. So I thought I'd post the numbers for others here as a point of interest.

M65 357 magnum (medium frame, 4" barrel, blued): 1.635"

M650 357 magnum (small frame, 2" barrel, blued): 1.565"

M85 38 special (small frame, 2" barrel, stainless): 1.51" (just for reference)

All the measurements are a rough average of numbers taken a various points around the cylinder.

When we noticed this we put a 357 magnum 158gr JSP in for a visual reference. There was a definite difference in available space. I don't have any 180gr loads around to try and see how they look.

I'd guess that the only time this could cause an issue is with a heavy bullet that has started to pull out of its case due to recoil. Remember that it doesn't have to be just the rounds you've previously fired from that cylinder if you have had that particular round in the cylinder previously and fired the others (say 2-3, not necessarily 4-5) and put it back into the box for later. No, I have not had this issue with this, its just something I've read about.

Steelheart
Hmmm, .055" less is not going to stop one from from sticking a 357mag into an M85. Okay, some hook their M85 to a string and vice and see how many 357mag rounds it takes before it blows. >;)

Either way, I bet the bullet length on the really heavy 38s put them over the length of normal 357s. The old 158gr SWCHPs 38s look really long. I bet they are easily put them at the same or over the length of the Speer 158gr JHP 357s that I normally shoot in my 627.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would think, that although the cylinder is only .055 longer, the inside of the cylinder allows the .357 round to chamber, in the 605, while the 85 would not. The chambers have to be cut long enough for the .357 to fit.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just got me a 605 SS 2" today for Xmas haven't sot yet but sure like the was it feels. And no the chambers are different inside as Mikeo says, thats what stops the ones that want to try it ! :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts