Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Academy sports today and was able to look at the 809 and TH9 side by side. As others have noted the only visual differences that I could see were in the grip texturing and the name engraved on the slide. Everything else looks the same. However since I only own a 809 I can't speak to the mechanical differences.

I was able to insert the TH9 mag into the 809 and it fit, locked into place and ejected normally. So that is encouraging for us looking for 809 mags (hen's teeth!). The base plates are different however. Other than that and some extra witness holes on the TH9 mag they seem to be basically the same.

The question is do they function the same? Does anyone have both models to confirm?

BTW - The Academy store I visited had the 809 on clearance for $303 and they had 8 in stock. I think that fine for a B&M but they were selling for much less than that online earlier this year.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow up .... I was able to talk to Taurus C.S. about the mags switching I just mentioned and they said it would not feed correctly (TH9 mag in 809).

They never replied to 809 mag availability except "keep checking the website"

Also learned that any product manufactured after 1/1/2017 has a one year warranty ... TH series, G2C, G2S, etc...

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I believe the "Lifetime" warranty on the PT111G2, PT809, etc are now limited to 5 years due to the discontinuance of the models. Is this correct??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the "Lifetime" warranty on the PT111G2, PT809, etc are now limited to 5 years due to the discontinuance of the models. Is this correct??
From what I gathered from the conversation was products made before that date had lifetime warranties. However I had read the same thing about a shorter "lifetime warranty". I did get confirmation to that the warranty covers the gun regardless of ownership. So I could pass it down to my kids and it would still be covered.

Here is the repair statement copied from their website as of today (10/17/18):

Taurus USA is totally committed to the very highest standards of quality, dependability, and most of all customer satisfaction. The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy is a commitment to repair selected Taurus firearm models FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm. Should you need to take advantage of our repair policy, please follow the directions on the shipping instruction link and our work order form, which can must be printed out and shipped in with the firearm.

The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus USA firearm models in production prior to January 1, 2017.

This policy does not cover grips, sights, accessories, cosmetic defects after one year, or damage caused by customer abuse at any time. Taurus USA will not be responsible for these items.

TAURUS USA reserves the right to field strip, inspect and function test all firearms sent to TAURUS USA upon receipt or anytime thereafter. Customers will be provided an estimate for repair if such repair is not covered under the applicable Repair Policy.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Follow up .... I was able to talk to Taurus C.S. about the mags switching I just mentioned and they said it would not feed correctly (TH9 mag in 809).
I have two thoughts on that:
1.) Of course they told you that, so people will buy more mags (regardless of if they're compatible).
2.) Of course they changed it and made them incompatible, so people will buy more mags.

Hopefully someone who owns both can let us know for sure. :)

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
I have two thoughts on that:
1.) Of course they told you that, so people will buy more mags (regardless of if they're compatible).
2.) Of course they changed it and made them incompatible, so people will buy more mags.

he-he-he, well that would be a wonderfully diabolitical business plan except Taurus never produces any extra magazines for their guns!----:bike:

·
Registered
18 Posts
PT809 / TH9 magazine compatibility

I have bought the 809 mag 13rd and it fits the TH9C and appox 80 rounds with no problems
I'm buying 2 more -- the 17rds B/O of course
Bought from Mag Warehouse and were shipped from Taurus / Miami in a Taurus package

The 809C mags (13 rd) do not fit the 809 or the TH9. 809 mags do fit with a very minor modification. The base plate on the 809 will not clear the (what I’ll call) curved tail of the TH9 mag-well. You have to file or sand down the plastic base plate about an 1/8”. They work great after the mod.

TH9 magwell.

TH9 mag. PT809 mag

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don’t own an 809 however, if the 809’s need only slight mod to fit the TH, then the TH should fit the 809 without issue. The difference is all in the base plate.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts

I thought engineered incompatibility was part of the Taurus business model? No part for any
model can be made to fit any other model, past or present, and function.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought engineered incompatibility was part of the Taurus business model? No part for any
model can be made to fit any other model, past or present, and function.

All the Best,
D. White
See my post on page 1 (#9). The 809 mags DO fit the TH9. I have 3 of them and only had to file down the base plate to match the TH mag base plate. TH9’s mags have the exact same body of the PT809 with a shorter base plate. You can actually load 18+1 into the 809 mags rather than 17+1 with TH9 mags.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
The problem is finding either type of mag. The biggest problem with Taurus is magazine availability. I am contemplating selling my 809 as finding additional mags is impossible. If they would let another company make them (MecGar makes the TH9) and sell them.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Sort of....

Taurus has stated that they consider a products "useful life" to be five years after it's discontinuance. At that point in time they stop resupplying parts and start running their inventory down until they presumably wholesale the parts out to somebody like Numrich.

The warranty is still in effect, but at some point they won't be able to effect repairs due to lack of parts. At which point the "replacement" part of the warranty kicks in and they give you a "comparable" firearm. One that does not have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
We just need a source for either that aren't out of stock or perpetual backorder!
yes!
this has been a very long running scenario with a good many Taurus semi autoes for a long time now.
to make matters even more ridiculous they began only suppling one magazine with quite a few of the models.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
And that's why my PT809 may get sold or traded for something else. I'm looking at Glock, S&W SD9 , Sig SP2022. I'm researching mags and truthfully Glock seems to win. It is something of a lesson and it will heavily affect future gun choices.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
And that's why my PT809 may get sold or traded for something else. I'm looking at Glock, S&W SD9 , Sig SP2022. I'm researching mags and truthfully Glock seems to win. It is something of a lesson and it will heavily affect future gun choices.
yea, I have owned a TCP in the early years, 2 two 24/7 Pro D/S Compacts nd a 709 in the early years, so can speak from experience, my son owns a 638 as well.
Glock mags you can buy at lemonade stands here!
them and CZ, S & W and Ruger are usually pretty easy to find.
In the case of CZ a good many models utilize the CZ75 mags in different formats but work in most of their guns.
MY Cz sp-01, shadow 2 mags (both really CZ-75 mags) are interchangeable and you can also use them in P-01 but they stick out about an inch from the grip.
that's the killer on a lot of taurus is they are only for one model and will not interchange with others.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts