Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted over in the Product Problem Section months ago, and have referenced several times in this section, the safety on my 809 would not engage at all. The de-cocker worked, and the gun functioned properly otherwise, but the safety lever would not move in the upward position.

Well yesterday afternoon, I had a few minutes so I decided to field strip and wipe down the 809 since it hasn't been cleaned or shot in a while. I applied some extra FrogLube to the slide and rails, mostly for rust protection, and re-assembled. Out of habit, I flicked the safety lever up, and it WORKED!

It was stiff so I flicked it on and off a few times. Confused by its sudden cure, I field stripped again and had a look but didn't see anything different. Re-assembled and it was stuck again... worked the slide a few times and now its working, but really hard to engage.

It feels like there's something blocking it internally. It takes a good bit of force on both safety levers to engage it. Once it starts moving its easy as can be. Dis-engaging can be done with a flick of the thumb as it is supposed to be.

I am really perplexed here. Hopefully I will have time to do a more detailed dis-assembly and there will be something obvious like a bur that needs knocked off. I really don't want to spend the $50 to ship it to Miami for something like this.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It may just be a piece of plastic or even a pin thats just sticking out a little bit too far. This may sound stupid but try squeezing the edges of the frame near the safety and slide release. You may hear something rubbing or clicking. It could fix itself by wearing itself down over time firing the gun and engaging the decocker on a normal basis.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you completely take the gun apart and clean all the packing grease off from the factory? When I got my G2, it was packed so full of grease the trigger would stick completely rearward. Could be something similar here.

There is a sticky at the top of the page that explains complete tear down with pictures.

·
22,836 Posts
Gotta love intermittent behavior... A complete disassembly, inspection, and thorough lubing might just get you over the goal line.

Reactions: jblaker1

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I disassembled the 809 and found that the small steel ball and spring that make the safety "click" on and off is what was causing the issue. I took the ball out and the safety lever is free to move. However I lost the ball while trying to re-assemble. So I grabbed a few 2mm balls and tried to re-assemble again, I am starting to believe that the issue is with the spring and not the ball. It isn't straight, and one end seems to be stretched out making it to long and putting too much pressure on the ball and safety lever.

I'm thinking I am going to have to send it on vacation...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or call Miami & ask them to send you the parts "under a warranty claim" free of charge?

Seems to be a win/win for both parties. Thus you avoid them having your pistol for - well who knows how long? And they avoid the costs incurred in fixing it. :)
I was under the impression that they would not send parts like that. Especially since I would have had to disassemble beyond a basic field strip to see or fix the issue. But its worth a try I guess.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Update - they (CS) had him ship it back.
That was the best thing for him to do, and now it will be done to perfection.:thumb:

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had to ship it in for repair. Hopefully it will be back soon and working 100%

Reactions: FreeInAZ
1 - 11 of 11 Posts