Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and deserve no ones time. But after checking out several forums such as defensive carry's forums and XD Talk, I decided to participate here. I don't want to hear about all steel 1911s being better, and I don't care that .45 cal is a bigger bullet. I shoot 9mm the best and accurately.

Being a college student I don't make money (obviously) and I am looking to purchase two firearms to give myself peace of mind for myself and my girlfriend both at home and abroad here in beautiful Fort Worth.

I have several things that I have in my brain.

1) I love America, I fought for America, and I have to buy American guns right?

2) I am worried to an extent about the Taurus track record. I am not able to sift through the BS effectively online and all I know are old timers that think a 6 pound (exagerration) 1911 is the best carry choice, even in a speedo. I want an honest opinion from Taurus owners and whether spending $350 dollars for a brand new 809 model would be wise. Also thinking about a Hi-Point 9mm as a glovebox or motorcycle saddlebag gun that I really don't have to worry about it being stolen or anything. Thank you, and, godspeed.

- Brian

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You want an American Nine? Get the Ruger SR9 or SR9c. I have them both and I am going to get the SR45, too.

I have a couple of the 9mm Tauri, I love them, too!

·
Administrator
18,195 Posts
If someone in the USA made handguns LIKE my PT-111 Mil Pro, 24/7 Pro, 24/7 OSS, and PT92, I would certainly have bought one by now. But no one does.
Now that said, I do have quite a number if USA made Firearms in my Gun Vault. But most of the Handguns are of Non-USA make.

Design innovation seems to be the hallmark of foreign competitors in the current Firearms Market.
Even the USA Military and USA Police departments buy a lot of small arms from Non-USA based Firms.

I would not let a preference for domestic manufacture bar me from a Firearm if I liked it's design, ergonomics, and trigger pull. But that's just me.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome! yep - Taurus10 is right on the money with the Ruger SRs - excellent guns. There are others - I carry a Kahr CW9 - have for 4+ years (and a Taurus). There is Kimber, Kel Tec, Remington - a number of the 1911s that you may not be considering - here's a list I found: Category:Firearms manufacturers in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My two bits - use a lock box and DO worry about a gun being stolen. No need to add another illegal weapon to the BGs arsenal!!!!

Reactions: MadKaw

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mingaa - I totally meant locked in my glovebox, I wasn't going to leave it on the dash or anything! Thank you for the list. I think I'm coming more to terms with it's better to have a Taurus in my holster than worry about a trivial thing such as buying American. I mean the shop is making money anyways... I'm really excited to look more in depth into the Taurus 809 or possibly millenium line. Pride be damned.

With that being said I would also like to get a pocket pistol, I know taurus has the TCP. Any major issues with that? NAA 22 mag revolvers are attractive as well. Since I'm in texas I'll be wearing shorts a lot in the summer. Thanks for the replys fellas.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Mingaa - I totally meant locked in my glovebox, I wasn't going to leave it on the dash or anything! Thank you for the list. I think I'm coming more to terms with it's better to have a Taurus in my holster than worry about a trivial thing such as buying American. I mean the shop is making money anyways... I'm really excited to look more in depth into the Taurus 809 or possibly millenium line. Pride be damned.

With that being said I would also like to get a pocket pistol, I know taurus has the TCP. Any major issues with that? NAA 22 mag revolvers are attractive as well. Since I'm in texas I'll be wearing shorts a lot in the summer. Thanks for the replys fellas.
There are a lot of TCP fans on board. With the latest wave of small 9mms you might run through those as well. I pocket carry a Taurus 709 much of the time - jeans too not just cargo pants/shorts. Personally I don't look for SD guns below 9mm but a lot of folks do go with 380 or 38 (38+p as well) - I'm not sure I'd stake my life on 22 mag thought not with so many larger caliber super compact guns on the market today.

Reactions: celt

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and deserve no ones time. But after checking out several forums such as defensive carry's forums and XD Talk, I decided to participate here. I don't want to hear about all steel 1911s being better, and I don't care that .45 cal is a bigger bullet. I shoot 9mm the best and accurately.

Being a college student I don't make money (obviously) and I am looking to purchase two firearms to give myself peace of mind for myself and my girlfriend both at home and abroad here in beautiful Fort Worth.

2) I am worried to an extent about the Taurus track record. I am not able to sift through the BS effectively online and all I know are old timers that think a 6 pound (exagerration) 1911 is the best carry choice, even in a speedo. I want an honest opinion from Taurus owners and whether spending $350 dollars for a brand new 809 model would be wise. Also thinking about a Hi-Point 9mm as a glovebox or motorcycle saddlebag gun that I really don't have to worry about it being stolen or anything. Thank you, and, godspeed.

- Brian
Being that there is a lot or Taurus owners here and you have an interest it is apparent you do deserve our time...that and you said your a vet so Thank you...and now on with the show!

I have a Taurus PT809, I bought it in December and really like it...felt good in the hand and it shoots and points well. All controls are ambidextorous which is nice. I understand the wish for an American made gun, but I can't fault the fit, finish or value in my Taurus. I just got a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster for the 24/7 which fits the PT809 great. Mine was 407 out the door with an extra mag.

I looked at the XD, the S&W MP and the Sigma and the Ruger SR9. Ruger wasn't comfortable to me and a friend has said his requires religious cleaning and is slightly finicky with ammo to be reliable. The XD and the MP both felt good, but at slightly over $100 more for either of them I couldn't consider them. I liked the Hi-Point and may still get one at some point but I didn't go with that because I wanted the higher cap mags. Taurus won in the end and I am happy with it so far.

I chose 9mm as it is readily available, has good self defense rounds available and it is less expensive for a box of 50.

Good luck with the choice and give us a range report on whatever you get!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with a smaller framed gun for carry as I am researching some smaller guns now. My first is the Taurus PT 1911 and while I love it and it shoots great, it is big to conceal to me. I have never heard good things about the high points but to each there own. If you get one please let me know how they shoot. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Have a 809C, that I carry, and I really like it. You can't beat a Taurus for the money... and... lifetime warranty

·
Registered
92 Posts
HornedFrogger,
Welcome to the forum....and my .002. Taurus weapons are a great deal. Great warranty, great price, great quality....I guess you may say that I like 'em!!!! A few other choices that you may not have considered...SCCY 9 is made in America and I believe the Diamondback is also. Regards and Semper-fi Mike

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I own a 709 and TCP both are good concealed carry weapons. They both have worked well, fit my hand, and have had no major malfunctions that weren't my fault. Welcome to the forum you will like it no matter what weapon you choose. BTW my son has a High Point and loves it he says it's ugly as sin but shoots good.

Reactions: celt

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Everyone deserves a piece of or time until they prove they don't deserve it - then one of the Mods will give them a piece of their mind.
So be kind. The Mods have so few pieces of mind left to them.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
For a pocket gun, get the American made TCP, manufactured in Miami. I would get that over a NAA type mini revolver personally. I have a TCP and love it. Aside from work, it is always in my pocket, even if I have my PT145 on my belt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello,

- Brian
Because this is America you don't "have" to buy an American gun. You can buy whatever gun that you want. That's what great about our country! I own a PT 809 and I love it. Feels good in my hand, nice balance and is accurate at the range. It's also easy to take down and clean. I've had no problems with it except when I first got it and didn't clean it properly (first gun) It had a few FTE after in got dirty. Once I cleaned it correctly it's been just fine. Great gun.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've also got the 809 as well as the 709 slim as my ccw, I have no problem recommending both.

I like the 809 for the external hammer, the decocker, ambi safety and the DA/SA feature, that plus the 17 rd mag ain't too bad either.

The 709 was my wife's (now mine... long story) and it appears to be the perfect carry gun.

Check out the forums for both specific models and you'll see the likes and dislikes of both, oh and welcome aboard!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,245 Posts
My PT 99 and 709 are my go to weapons. I own others and use them, but the 99 has proven itself often since 1991 and is the reason I bought the 709. I'm not prejudice, I'm convinced.
just my .02

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi point vs Taurus wouldnt even be a second thought if that was the question...id only buy a hipoint if it was all I could afford. They can be reliable and accurate but they are ugly, heavy, 3ft tall cast metal slide that weighs 14lbs etc. They dont fail like a lot of gun snobs will say they do but they are definitely $200 guns.
Can Taurus have problems? Sure, but if it does just send it in. They also arent trash like gun snobs make them out to be. They are definitely $4-500 guns.
If you want to go American but dont want to spend the 550ish for a XDm or M&P etc you can find XD9s for $399 new all the time. The Ruger SR line is a good choice too.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Hi point vs Taurus wouldnt even be a second thought if that was the question...id only buy a hipoint if it was all I could afford. They can be reliable and accurate but they are ugly, heavy, 3ft tall cast metal slide that weighs 14lbs etc. They dont fail like a lot of gun snobs will say they do but they are definitely $200 guns.
Can Taurus have problems? Sure, but if it does just send it in. They also arent trash like gun snobs make them out to be. They are definitely $4-500 guns.
If you want to go American but dont want to spend the 550ish for a XDm or M&P etc you can find XD9s for $399 new all the time. The Ruger SR line is a good choice too.
Too bad XDm's are made in Croatia, not America.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Find a range near you that rents firearms. Rent as many as you can. Only you can decide whats right for you. If renting isn't an option, at least handle as many as you can to find what feels best to you.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts