Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 809 when they were on sale at Academy for $299 the week after Christmas. Finally got the chance this morning to head up to the range to try her out. Considering this was my first time firing this pistol, and only my second time to shoot (first trip I shop a buddy's XDm), I was content with my performance. Went through a 100 rd box of WWB and a 50 rd box of Monarch Brass with no ammo issues. Had some decent groupings at 7 yards, and some others that were low and left, but that's what practice is for. Gun performed well EXCEPT one of the magazines would pop out every couple of shots. I finally got annoyed at it and threw it back in the bag and finished with the other magazine, which continued to work flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
As a disclaimer I have not shot my own PT809 as yet, but something I noticed upon acquisition of the weapon is that Taurus packs their guns full of some serious factory grease. I would clean the magwell to make sure no greasy oily crud is still inside the pistol. It is hard to do because the frame is black, which is the same color as the innards....so the weapon looks clean until you run a rag in there and come up with grime.

Anyway, congradulations and welcome to the club!

·
Banned
171 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 845. its seems to be a trend with the 800 series unfortunately hopefully Taurus finds out why and fixes it with newer production guns.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I picked up an 809 when they were on sale at Academy for $299 the week after Christmas. Finally got the chance this morning to head up to the range to try her out. Considering this was my first time firing this pistol, and only my second time to shoot (first trip I shop a buddy's XDm), I was content with my performance. Went through a 100 rd box of WWB and a 50 rd box of Monarch Brass with no ammo issues. Had some decent groupings at 7 yards, and some others that were low and left, but that's what practice is for. Gun performed well EXCEPT one of the magazines would pop out every couple of shots. I finally got annoyed at it and threw it back in the bag and finished with the other magazine, which continued to work flawlessly.
Had that problem with my 609, and finally realized that it was all ME! The mag release was activated by my grip. I had to analyse my grip and make a few adjustments to it, and then my mag finally stayed put.

Rob

·
Banned
171 Posts
Trust me the mag release on the 800 series is not being engaged on accident. They have a very stiff mag release

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got the 845 myself and havent had any such problems with mine- infact since I got it a bit over a week ago I've been working out the stiffness of my mag release by loading/unloading the mag in the gun almost daily and its starting to work quite well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts