Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Double and triple reading through the owners manual I don't see anything stating weather the PT809 is rated/capible of shooting or using +P loads..

1) Is the 809 rated for +P ammo?
2) would I be able to use them (if I found some)?
3) Is there a real need for +P 9mm ammo?

· Registered
5,933 Posts
Yes, the 809 will handle +P just fine. But, the big question is: why would your really need it?
Almost any gun manufacturer will say their guns are +P rated, but also they will warn you that the added pressure will take some time off the life of the components - in other words, it will "beat them up quicker".

Almost all good self defense ammo should be perfectly fine for your 809. I don't do the +P thing because I don't think it would make a difference to me, and it takes at least some toll on the gun.

Reactions: lizard55033

· Registered
2,513 Posts
The 809 will handle +P loads just fine. But, like TXEric said, in a SD situation, that little extra "UMPH" you get out of a +p load is not going to make a bit of difference. As long as you stay with SAMMI rated ammo and it performs reliably in your gun, you should be good.

· Registered
21,219 Posts
They're right: all 9mm luger. Don't use it all the time. Shoot a mag or two to make sure it cycles and then just carry it.

· Registered
24 Posts
Check out page 29: http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/800_series_manual.pdf

It says that the 809 can take and handle +P, but not +P+. It also says that frequent use of it will cause undue wear and tear on the gun, and that they don't recommend using it for practice. So like the others above have said, unless you have some special need for the +P (though I can't really fathom what that would be), I wouldn't recommend it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.