Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like to know what everyone thinks of the new 800 series. Glorified 24/7 or cutting edge? I like the two strike capability, but dont care either way on the hammer.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I like the 800 series...a lot. Now if Taurus would finally release them I'd be quite happy.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
I've only seen them in the ad in American Handgunner. They look like really nice guns. Not sure why they went with an external hammer, but it has a decocker, so no big deal. Me likes.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I like them, and furter more I like the hammer. I plan on a PT-809 when they finally hit stores :shooter:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm in the same camp as y'all. Looks like a great gun, I like the hammer, and I like the new takedown. I would be even happier if they made it in a 5" barrel. I've got some other things that come first on my wish list...but I think I will eventually own one.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
OOOOOH + 1 on the 5" barrel! I hadn't thought of that. That would be SWEEEET! :shooter:

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
It's more of a tactical weapon - I believe the ad specifically mentioned special operations - so the shorter barrel is probably preferable for that type of weapon. If you wait long enough, though, it'll probably be released in a long slide, as well as a compact...... ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
After about an hour of scouring the internet...look at what I found!

;) JK just a little photoshop work. :thumb: Looks like it has some potential.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Vismin, I would rock that thing! Gotta love photoshop! I hope Taurus execs. read this forum. That looked bad to the bone. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I can't breath I want one so bad LOL :)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
My carry gun is the only D.A.O. gun I have! all the rest are single action double action. I like to shoot at the range and have always had a preference for external hammer. Though there is a place for double action only just not my preference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
:drool:

That's all!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
turbostar66 said:
What is the benefit of an external hammer (prob a noob question).
With the external hammer the weapon is single action double action instead of double action only. When the gun is fired in single action mode the trigger pull is much lighter making accuracy a little better for me. I have always preferred a SA trigger. Some may prefer a DAO
trigger system. My carry weapon is DAO trigger. I think it is a safer system for carry, but for range work I like SA/DA far better. Hope that helps :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I have Rheumatoid arthritis and when I have a flare up I can't pull a heavy double action so cocking the hammer will make it single action. which is why I like the 1911 series or the new 709 because of single action trigger pull. This helps me. But others have there own reasons. A lot of women prefer single action. For the same reasons.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I see. It makes sense for the range. I was thinking of a more combat/tactical type situation. In my scenario, I would think the gun would already be single action (cocked) and the hammer just seemed like something else to get hung up on when drawing, or something to keep the gun from firing if debris/clothes somehow got in between the hammer and the firing pin.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
turbostar66 said:
I see. It makes sense for the range. I was thinking of a more combat/tactical type situation. In my scenario, I would think the gun would already be single action (cocked) and the hammer just seemed like something else to get hung up on when drawing, or something to keep the gun from firing if debris/clothes somehow got in between the hammer and the firing pin.
You are correct sir! An external hammer will hinder your ability to draw in a concealed carry situation if you are not used to it. An external hammer is better for range and tactical applications. Follow up shots are much faster with a DA/SA weapon. That is why the military uses the SA/DA system on their side arms ( Berretta M9/ 92 FS ) The double action is in my opinion better for concealed carry. However there are a lot of people who carry 1911's and the like for a ccw applications. Those are great firearms they simply require more training if you plan to carry concealed. In the end it all comes down to YOUR personal preference and what YOU are comfortable with. HAPPY SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shooter:

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
I've been waiting for the 800 series to be released so I can see how it handles. I like the idea of an external hammer in a service sized pistol. :D

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
CJS3 said:
I've been waiting for the 800 series to be released so I can see how it handles. I like the idea of an external hammer in a service sized pistol. :D
+1 CJ. I like them better myself. Love my PT-92, and my baby eagle for that reason. For me it has better accuracy, and faster follow up shots. "To each his own" though! Double action is great for a variety of scenarios as well :shooter:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts