Taurus Firearm Forum banner

800 Series owners check in

33K views 152 replies 85 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 · (Edited)
Tell us what you think about it.

Any problems?

How old is it/ How many miles are on it?

Post some pics of it if you'd like.

I'm looking at a new 809 stainless, and for the same price as a new 24/7 G1.
But I've heard of a few issues with the earlier 800 pistols, which seems weird because this pistol is supposed to be based off of the 24/7, of which I own 2 and haven't had any issues other than 1 FTF with cheap .45 ammo and a couple of stovepipes with the 9mm.

#5 ·
I just got one a few days ago and put only 50 rounds through it so far. The only problem I noticed was that the decocking lever on mine did not work. I'm currently trying to figure out what the problem is, but I haven't seen any other complaints about this. The sights also need adjusted, but it looks simple with a very small hex key that I will have to go out and find.

#6 ·
I bought my 809 in June and have put about 500 rounds through it. I haven't had any problems at all with the gun. I've had a couple failure to fires with S&B ammo that the second strike took care of and one failure to fire with Federal Champion ammo that second strike wouldn't send down range. Figure it was a defective round. Overall, I love it!

My nephew (Marine security services) absolutely hates 9mm but said he didn't mind shooting my 809. Said it was a lot better than the Beretta M9 he was issued, but he still prefers .40 S&W or .45 in his handguns.

#7 ·
My PT845 - which I purchased in April 2011 - has been flawless. However my son's PT845 - purchased a month or two later - has some problems.
First, the sights were visibily off center.
Second, his would not reliably cycle with hand-loaded SWC rounds while mine digested them perfectly.

Taurus sent him a new recoil spring which we hope will correct problem Two, but so far he hasn't had a chance to get to the range.

#8 ·
Interesting.
Thanks everyone for your input so far, and for the link Taurus_9mm.

It seems most people that have the 800 series like it. I plan on purchasing a 809SS after X-Mas, as it seems to be a cheaper alternative to a 24/7G2 with similar features.

#10 ·
I plan getting one also, a 809 compact. One of the things I like about the 800 series is that after you decock I blieve that you are in the firing mode, no need to remember to flick off the manual safety, if you want to carry DA, manual safety disengaged, which is how I like to carry. With my 24/7 Pro DS model, after I decock the manual safety is engaged and needs to be disengaged.

#12 ·
I have had My 809 compact for about 1 week. Took it to the range and ran 150 rounds through it. 100 Blazer brass 115gr & 50 124gr hard cast lead low power loads. The gun ran good with no malfunctions. The gun was shooting about 1-2 inches left, I noticed the front sight was shift to the right a bit. After centering the front sight it shot right on. The single action trigger is decent with a bit of creep. The double action is way to heavy, feels like it will snap the trigger bar if you shoot a lot of double action. I also noticed I can put 14 rounds into the 13 round magazine, 14+1 in a nice package not bad. The slide is fairly thin .90 near the top and about 1 inch where it bumps out a bit. I really like how it takes down like a Glock but you do not have to pull the trigger. And the rails the slide rides on are small so that should help it be more reliable. I like that the compact does not have ambi controls except the magazine release, which on my gun is very stiff I am going to oil it good and hopefully that will help. I have several other guns so I am going to keep shooting it without cleaning till I get a malfunction.

Attachments

#21 ·
Bought mine (809C) a couple of days back. Cleaned it, lubed it and put 13 rounds (one mag) through it so far. Its a great gun I must admit. The only problem I am having is that the trigger reset actually does not happen on the first sound... there are two clicking sounds before the trigger resets. The first sound happens close to the firing position (as shown on the internet as well... its minimal travel), but the trigger is not reset there, it has to travel another bit and there is another click sound and that actually resets the trigger. That ruins the deal for me. I talked to the gun dealer and he said he could look at it and maybe exchange it with another 809C coming in January 2012 shipment to Pakistan. Lets see what happens.

You didnt have any problem of the sort 94zcar right? Unless I am mistaken, the trigger SHOULD RESET on the first click sound. Right? Or am I doing anything wrong?

#13 ·
Dude. I tried starting a thread about the 800 series back on Nov. 21. I have a 809 and a 840. The 809 has been 100% reliable and digested and fired everything I have put through it. No FTF's,no FTE's. I use it as my daily concealed carry choice. I trust my very life to it. Buy it. You won't be disappointed. I have the 809C compact on my radar for purchasing next year. I put a couple of magazine through it every month.

#14 ·
As far as the G2 series goes. I was all in love with the G2 until I discovered that in order to put it in single action mode you have to squeeze and hold the trigger while racking the slide. That was a deal breaker for me. I mean,really,who does that?? I want familiararity with my guns. No other handgun I can think of requires that.

#15 ·
Whoa there reganmarine? From the G2 manual ???

Keep your finger off of the trigger, which means that the trigger is in its most
forward position. In this position, you can activate the Manual Safety by pushing

the lever up placing it in the “ON” position. The trigger will be locked and remain

in its forward position. To fire the pistol, push lever down and then pull trigger.

You can also activate the firing pin decocker by moving the lever downward,

the striker will be decocked and then the lever will return to the firing position.

The pistol will then be ready to fire in double action mode.

#16 ·
Have a SS 845. Production date was June 2009 and bought it August 2010. Initially had a lot of Failure to Feed, Failure to Eject and Failure to Ignite. Probably around 80% of the total ammo I fired. Bought an extra Taurus mag but it was defective. Could not push the slide stop to lock the slide on the last round. Could not put 12 rounds on the mags as well. I figured based on the research I did on other forums that the Magazine spring was a bit stiff. And if that is true it would be true to all spring components of the 845. Hence all the failures. Continued to shoot if and fired some "hot loads". I noticed the failures gradually decreased until the claw of my extractor chipped of at around 300 - 400 round mark. Had it fixed by the Importer. Fired another 300 rounds more or less and was uneventful. On a side note I noticed that recoil was reduced when I fired the hot loads thru the 845. I live in the Philippines and the life time warranty of Taurus does not reach all the way here which was a major disappointment. The importer only gave it a 1 year warranty. So if you ask me if its a keeper? Will answer that after 500 more rounds thru her.

#18 · (Edited)
I have had the 845 since May of 09, so- about 2.5 years. It is no doubt my favorite Taurus. The best shooting and operation wise- its just a very good gun for around $400. I have actually lost count on the number of rounds through it, but its still less than 1,000. Never a problem.

(edited)

I like the 800 so much..............I have a PT-111 Pro (9mm) with approx 600 rounds through it and a TCP 738 (380) with about 70 round through it, and that has been repaired that I will gladly trade for a 809 Compact.

#24 ·
Have a 845. It was manufactured June 2009 bought it Aug 2010. Initial firing was full of FTF, FTE and FTI atleast 80% of the time.The extra mag a purchased would not lock the slide open on the last round (it was replaced). All my mags could not be fully loaded due to the stiff spring. I thought if the magazine spring was stiff then conceivably other spring components of the gun would be stiff too. That would explain all the failures I got. So shot some 100-200 hot loads. All went well with some FTI. Then my extractor claw got chipped. Had to sent it back to the importer for repairs. Got it early this year. Fired around 300 rounds more or less with 0 failures. Here in the Philippines, Taurus' lifetime warranty does not reach this part of the world. We only get a 1 week replacement and a 1 year warranty.

#27 ·
Got mine spring of 2010, 500+ rounds and love the gun, I've actually got 18 rounds in some/one of the mags. The only issue I've had is on occasion when I go to slingshot the slide the catch doesn't go down. I've looked into it and I'm uncertain if there is some grease I've been unable to remove or if the spring is a little weak or some other issue. If you hold the slid back for just a bit it releases, but not as it should be. I usually use the thumb release instead of slingshot but my gf prefers to slingshot it. I hope after some more use it will loosen up.

All in all I am very happy with the weapon. 809 blue/tennifer

#28 ·
I don't believe that there is any problem with the 2 clicks, in fact if you take the magazine out you will find that it only clicks once. I believe that the first click is happening with the magazine and the trigger bar hitting the magazine. You don't notice it at all when you shoot it. Then its more of a feel anyway. I have around 500 rounds through mine and no problems. best.

#29 ·
Thank you for your reply sir. Actually the 2 clicks happen both with or without the magazine. I noticed these clicks while shooting and that was the reason I wasnt comfortable. In fact, while trying to double tap, these were pretty distracting. It would have been pretty okay if the two clicks were happening only with the magazine inserted. But thats not the case.

If we look here:

Only 1 click is happening. Thats what I am looking for in an 809... the shortest possible trigger reset distance. And thats why i think my piece is defective cuz its giving me two click before resetting the trigger.

I absolutely love the gun. Wanted a slim taurus, but after shooting this one i know i only want an 809 and i will be getting a replacement soon hopefully.

Thank you again for your reply. Lookin forward to hearing more from you.

#31 ·
I had all kinds of issues when I first got my 809 a year+ ago. You can find my threads(s). A trip to Taurus, replaced the slide, seems to have fixed it. The pistol really needs an adjustable sight. Groups are TIGHT but off because of the sights. I REALLY like it, but dunno if ill buy another, having two of the same pistol is kinda weird. Plus, theres virtually no aftemarket. I want a poly 5" .45 in green w/black slide. If Taurus makes an 845 LS in green before I can afford a Springfield XD, I may jump on that, despite the lack of aftermarket. All the modern goodies, all the bad-ass feel (and sight recognition) of a hammer.

#32 ·
Season Greetings to ALL!! Have a 845 bought August last year, production date was July 2009. First 300-400 round 80-85% was FTE, FTF and FTI. I could not fully load 12 rounds and the extra mag a bought could not lock the slide open on the last round (It was replaced by the gun store on the spot). I surmised that if the stiff magazine spring needs break in to take the 12 rounds then its possible that other spring components of the 845 might be stiff too which would explain all the jams. So I fired 200 rounds of hot loads (4.4 grain powder charge) all the failures disappeared except a few FTI. Then my extractor claw got chipped. Had to send in the gun for warranty repair after I got it back fired 200 rounds more or less with no problems. Is it a keeper? Will answer that after a few more hundred rounds thru her first. By the way here in the Philippines Taurus has a strong presence here due to its value for money and wide selection of firearms. However the importer can only give us a 1 year warranty. I did own before the 85CH back in late 1990s it was a fine gun.

#33 ·
Happy holidays everyone! Just got my 845SS this morning and I'm in love. Long time firearm owner and first time Taurus owner. Installed Williams Fire Sights right out of the box and ran the first box of Winchester white box JHP through her. Lined up the sights dead center with the micrometers and expected to have to make some adjustments but the groups were dead on. The accuracy and recoil are fantastic! Cleaned her up and lubricated before shooting though- lots of nasty assembly grease from the box. This is the gun I'll be using for carry and the Fobus paddle holster is a great fit. I'll take some good photos later showing the Fire Sights and the Fobus holster fitment. Those 50 rounds were cheap Wal-Mart ammo and all the horror stories about FTF and FTE had me worried. No issues whatsoever, so knock on wood, this one's a winner. The mag springs were tight but by the second fill they were loosened up and I see I will not be needing the speed loader. Anyway, long winded post over but I felt the need to share my great experience so far!

-Chuck

#35 ·
I have several other Tauri's and I just got a Taurus 809 for Xmas. Today we mad a bit of time and went out to cousin's property out in Stephenville, west of Fort Worth to try it out. I shot at 10 yards and used Monarch 115gr 9mm ammo. No FTF or FTE's and while it performed flawlessly for 3 magazines worth of ammo I did notice a very glaring inaccuracy with it. It shoots low. Too low for my taste.

The first round of shots while I was aiming dead center it shot 4-6 inches low of the front sight. After inspection I went to the 6 o'clock position and covering the target with the barrel instead of the tip of the sight. It was still about 3" low.

The last rounds I tool I actually put the front sight on top of the number 8 ring and 1: to the right and started getting a better grouping midway between the bottom 8 and 10 ring. From what I see, these are fixed sights with no adjustment. I know I can loosent the rear sight and start "oouching" it over for the elevation but can I do the same for the front sight?

Xmas Eve:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.