1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Gongs are great and a lot of fun to shoot. A few suggestions...Make sure they hang at an angle so the shrapnel is deflected downward. Very important. Don't use chains to hang them. Seemed like a good idea to me at first but one round and they're gone. Use rubber straps. They can take a number of rounds before they are done. Go to https://shootingtargets7.com for mounting instructions and to get straps if you should so decide. Good luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
8" gongs

This Is My backyard range.

I love gongs. Smaller the better. I have one set that is 6” and another that is 4”. Shoot small, miss small. Feedback from the sound is superior to paper, except for seeing a group size. Paper has to be shot, also so that you can also focus on groups.

I use The Last Stands as my support.

I use carabiners but they’re not too durable.

Since they’re not angled down, I don’t shoot them at less than 20 yards for 9 mm or 22 LR. For hotter guns, I go back to 25 yards.

Last thing you want it to get smacked in the face with a piece of copper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
For the smaller gongs I just use Shepherds hooks (like for hanging plants in the garden). Just stab them into the ground and hang the plate on the hook through the eye-hole. It'll hold up to repeated .308 Win rounds at 50 yards without falling over (but that plate will jump!)

For the larger plates, 12" x 1/2", 12" x 24" silhouettes and such, I use a steel fence post (T-post for electric fence) with a piece of 2x4 and one of those T-post mounting brackets with screw in eye mounts, d-rings, and chains.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Gongs are great and a lot of fun to shoot. A few suggestions...Make sure they hang at an angle so the shrapnel is deflected downward. Very important. Don't use chains to hang them. Seemed like a good idea to me at first but one round and they're gone. Use rubber straps. They can take a number of rounds before they are done. Go to https://shootingtargets7.com for mounting instructions and to get straps if you should so decide. Good luck!
That is a great idea! I've always used chain for the swinging ones , but that always ends up getting torn up - mostly when I shoot the hole in the plate that the chain attaches to!

Reactions: TonyC2639

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I use AR500 steel hanging hooks for most of my plates.

example from EBAY: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR500-Pipe-Target-Hanging-Hooks-/332495570752
I've actually blasted some of the smaller plates off of hooks like that with 7.62x39 and .308Win. - swinging secondary hits, mostly. That's what got me to the shepherds hooks, since they flex but don't allow much swing. Those hooks are great for .223 and down through hand gun though (just my experiences, you're mileage may vary).

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
That is a great idea! I've always used chain for the swinging ones , but that always ends up getting torn up - mostly when I shoot the hole in the plate that the chain attaches to!
OF course there is the ever popular DUCT TAPE to hang them with as well!-------

Attachments

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lot of good ideas here. I think the rubber straps may be an addition to my ideas. Will be putting it all together this weekend.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty much ready to take to the cabin next week.

The frame is cyclone fence hardware. Those right angle gate adapters make it so I can take it apart when I leave there. The straps work real well. Ended up using a type of carabiner clip for the bottom attachment for quick release. Will show them after I get it all set up next week.

Also have a magnetic stencil to use to paint a bulls eye design on the gongs, Should be pretty cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,326 Posts

The frame is cyclone fence hardware. Those right angle gate adapters make it so I can take it apart when I leave there. The straps work real well. Ended up using a type of carabiner clip for the bottom attachment for quick release. Will show them after I get it all set up next week.

Also have a magnetic stencil to use to paint a bulls eye design on the gongs, Should be pretty cool.
I think I'd use rivets instead of bolts so just in case I miss...:unsure:...less chance of hittin' one in the nuts.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts

to each their own, I mean its your targets but Is till think that DUCT TAPE would have worked better myself!

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gonna try using duct tape to prop them up.

Shoot steel once & you will be hooked.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
I have never shot the steel plates, it looks like it would a hoot.

oh yea!
at least for me it is.
Love to shoot steel with my 38 Supers and 10 MM.
don't get to do it near enough!

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
My 6" plate hangs from a couple of T posts by chains. I have to replace a bolt now and then that gets shot up, but that's about it. I mostly shoot 9mm, .45, .38, and .22 on it, mostly .22. I have one on my rifle range. I haven't tried anything larger than .223 on it, but when I was sighting in my 7 mag, I was tempted. :rofl:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think if you can get the 5/8" gongs, they should hold up pretty well. I am taking a NEF single shot .223 with me. I have other targets to shoot it at, but I will try a couple shots on the ½" & I'll let you know.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,244 Posts
Nice!:hand2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts