Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my 740 slim but since I have put many rounds through it it seems like the slide lock doesn't always want to lock open anymore. Anyone else experienced this and if so how did you correct it, or did you send it to Taurus for repair?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaned and lubed it after I got it and each time after the range. Does it with either of the 2 mags I have. When I am able to lock the slide back I can bump it with my hand and it will slam shut. I've got other autos that don't act like that and am sure this isnt normal.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Cleaned and lubed it after I got it and each time after the range. Does it with either of the 2 mags I have. When I am able to lock the slide back I can bump it with my hand and it will slam shut. I've got other autos that don't act like that and am sure this isnt normal.
I'd be inclined to contact Taurus warranty service and tell them about this. You may need to return the gun and mags to them for repairs or replacement.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The slide stop is activated by a portion of the magazine follower. It's possible that the follower is worn, or just needs to be tweaked to fit properly. If you can, try another magazine in it. If the problem goes away, it's the magazines.

If that doesn't fix it. look at the actual slide lock, and see if it's worn. My P12 Para Ordnance came with a plastic magazine latch, and it wore away over the years with use. The slide lock may be wearing a bit, and causing the problem, as well.

If it isn't the magazine, then call Taurus, and see what they say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really like my 740 slim but since I have put many rounds through it it seems like the slide lock doesn't always want to lock open anymore. Anyone else experienced this and if so how did you correct it, or did you send it to Taurus for repair?
Do you release the slide by pressing down on the slide-lock? If so, it's possible the notch in the bottom of the slide has become rounded, allowing the slide-lock to slip off. Squaring up the back of that notch with a small file should correct the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.