Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!! Im new to the forum and also new to conceal carry.... I have been doing some research and found that im very interested in the 740 slim... however im a lefty..... so im wondering if the mag release can be switched to a left handed user and also does anyone know where to get a iwb apendix carry holster for the slim...thanks in advance for the info and anything else you all can share with me about the taurus pt740 slim...

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
As a lefty, I would tell you to work on using your trigger finger to drop the mag. It will work out much better for you in the long run, especially when switching to other pistols. It is one of the few perks to being a lefty in a rightie world. Some righties, especially in competitions, have been flipping the mag release so they can use their trigger finger to drop the mag. Once you get used to it, you won't have to bring your pistol off target to drop the mag and reload.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :rolleyes:

I do not have the answers to your questions, but I can tell you that I have a flawless PT740 which I conceal carry everyday; and that I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Hello all!!! Im new to the forum and also new to conceal carry.... I have been doing some research and found that im very interested in the 740 slim... however im a lefty..... so im wondering if the mag release can be switched to a left handed user and also does anyone know where to get a iwb apendix carry holster for the slim...thanks in advance for the info and anything else you all can share with me about the taurus pt740 slim...
I cannot help you with the mag catch, but as for holsters ...

The REMORA size 4 series fits the PT 740 and 709 perfectly. They are US made with a lifetime warranty, and very reasonably priced.
There are several different versions, including one that holds and extra mag:

The Original Remora No Clip Holster

Remora Holsters Store

I also have a High Noon Split Decision, a DeSantis Tuck This II, and a kHolster. If the 709 or 740 are not listed, look for one for a Ruger LC9.
I have both a Taurus and a Ruger LC9 and have used the above holsters interchangeably.

Split Decision

Taurus Holsters : Holster for Taurus: DeSantisHolster.com

INSIDE THE WAISTBAND HOLSTERS — DeSantis Holster

These fit the 709 and 740 (I have used the Tuck This II and the Soft Tuck with mine with no problems)
INSIDE THE WAISTBAND HOLSTERS — DeSantis Holster

·
Registered
36,649 Posts
As a lefty, I would tell you to work on using your trigger finger to drop the mag. It will work out much better for you in the long run, especially when switching to other pistols. It is one of the few perks to being a lefty in a rightie world. Some righties, especially in competitions, have been flipping the mag release so they can use their trigger finger to drop the mag. Once you get used to it, you won't have to bring your pistol off target to drop the mag and reload.
You know to some this advice may sound unusual, but i have a couple of beretta Neos 22, and the mag release is on the right side slide near the top frame on the right sideI am right handed!
now i thought when i first gt these pistols, why in the world would anyone design the gun like that??
after using them as mentioend by greenwolf, its just natural to hit the mag release by simply uncurling your trigger finger and pushing, at the same time raising the new mag and stuffing it in the well and pretty much still on target.
should work with a normal weapon for a lefty.

·
Registered
36,649 Posts
I cannot help you with the mag catch, but as for holsters ...

I also have a High Noon Split Decision, a DeSantis Tuck This II, and a kHolster. If the 709 or 740 are not listed, look for one for a Ruger LC9.
I have both a Taurus and a Ruger LC9 and have used the above holsters interchangeably.
You know i was just about to post that I bet a Ruger or Kel -tec holster would fit the 709/740!
IF i remember correctly when i had my 709 I think I found a Glock holster that fit it IWB?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I too am a lefty and yes the mag release can be switched but as the other poster said it is better to use your left finger.
Crossbreed makes an IWB holster that would be great for your needs. Give em a look see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info...this is by far one of the best forums i have joined...i am definately going to purchace a pt740 as my primary ccw...right now i am using a bodyguard 38...very nice gun but im looking for more stopping power....and i think they weigh about the same...

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
+10 on the DeSantis SofTuck mentioned above. I have one for my 709 (same size as the 740) and find it very comfortable.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
While you are looking at the 740 Slim, take a look at the Kahr CW-40 that, if you can find one, are selling for the lowest prices I have ever seen on them.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the JMG holster for IWB SOB carry, and love it. I can easily conceal it under a dress shirt. $42 w/shipping. I have had it for several weeks and love it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Het Jbtty, I have studied the mag realease and agree that it looks switchable but for the life of me can't see how to get it out. Do you know?

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK Got it!!! NOT

OK never mind, I figured out how to get the little b---- out, now the hard part. It comes out almost like the mag release on a glock but doesn't go back the same, the spring has to be retained on the correct side as the release is seated or the spring gets stuck under the center of the release and can't be moved into place. Hmmm, well to cobbling. By the way this is the early model bought in early 2010 before they came out an said it was changable but with this effort, I can see their hesitation to claim it. Swap glock release 30 seconds, swap PT740 release ....undetermined...... Happyness on completion (when ever it is) PRICELESS!!! Don't get me wrong I like Blocks , have a 29 and a 30 gen 2, love love love to shoot them, carry them ..... nawww. SW flordia, I work in shorts and t's year round. before this 700 round and counting flawless performer , I carried a Colt pocket 9 to work and a Colt Pony to church.

Well my eyes are starting to uncross so back to it,

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 740 and I'm also a lefty. I also agree on working your mag release with your trigger finger.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :rolleyes:

I do not have the answers to your questions, but I can tell you that I have a flawless PT740 which I conceal carry everyday; and that I am very pleased with it.

I'm in the same boat as this guy!! Not one problem since i took it out of the case!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm in the same boat as this guy!! Not one problem since i took it out of the case!!
I hope that I have the same success. Picked up a PT740SS when I had to send my PT709SS back to Miami band camp for the third time. Looking forward to putting some lead down range this weekend.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts