Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved to South Carolina... after 120 days now have the permission slip to resume carrying.

Dusted off the 740 and popped rounds. As expected...runs like a timex. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

It's not a high round count weapon, but has around 2500 total. I can't recall a single malfunction. But i did a detail strip and light fluff n buff when new. It just runs and shoots everything It's fed.

However, the new generation of 9mm carry guns that are identically sized, have red dot mounts and TWICE the capacity look very interesting!!

·
23,442 Posts
Are they really as slim as the 700 series? And simply saying 9mm points out one obvious deficiency compared to a 740.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they actually are nearly the identical external dimensions and weight as a 700. It really is amazing how they've done it. while i like 40sw (a lot), I'm not married to it as a caliber choice. Today the world is nuts... are the extra 4,5 or 6 rounds needed? probably not as 99.999% of carry guns are never fired in fear... but you never know. The bigger thing for me is the red dot optic. The eyeballs aren't as good as they used to be.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Because of the average age on gun forums, most here will know what a "Timex" is but I wonder how many said "what's that."

·
Registered
346 Posts
Kinda sad that the "Slim" series is no longer in production. The model has, IMHO, many great attributes and I've often wondered why Taurus dropped the line? I too, have a PT740 that (also sadly) doesn't get a lot of "carry time" even if I believe it to be quite appropriate for the task. My TCP has been my go to CC but will concede that .380 ACP might be a bit "weak". I was distressed to learn (via the internet :rolleyes:, must be true!) that some folks are considering .40 S&W to be heading for extinction. I do see 10mm being very popular but hope that .40 S&W can hang around for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts