Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,im new to this forum.i bought a nib 740 a couple of weeks ago and just got a chance to go to a shooting range a couple of days ago.long story short ,on the first magazine,the gun double fired on a single trigger pull.out of a 50 rd box it double fired four times and triple fired once.im planning on sending it back to taurus,but am waiting to speak to them first.will let yall know about results.is this a fairly common problem,i was planning on buying a taurus 1911 but i am having second thoughts about taurus now.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I have never seen that one ist box it up second calll taurus i would imagine that they would send you a prepaid postage quickly there cs has always been there for me. 9 guns and 11 years 2 sent back one wrong magazine due to store swapped arround other 10 year old revolver wore out a few things ist back in 11 days second in 4 weeks do to parts back ordered

jhp

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Did you break it down and clean out all the gunk first?

·
Registered
336 Posts
There have been a number of threads about this issue on this forum over the past two months - seems to be a problem with some 740/709 triggers, possibly the sear. In all cases, owners have reported that Taurus has asked that the gun be shipped back for repair - this could be a dangerous malfunction.
You can find the threads by searching the product problems and the 700s forums.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Get that 740 back to Taurus ASAP. Call CS and report problem, get a return shipping label (at their expense), put a letter in shipment describing problem in detail and complete the Taurus Work Order Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Prelog Form and include it.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
hi guys,im new to this forum.i bought a nib 740 a couple of weeks ago and just got a chance to go to a shooting range a couple of days ago.long story short ,on the first magazine,the gun double fired on a single trigger pull.out of a 50 rd box it double fired four times and triple fired once.im planning on sending it back to taurus,but am waiting to speak to them first.will let yall know about results.is this a fairly common problem,i was planning on buying a taurus 1911 but i am having second thoughts about taurus now.
well not usually a normal problem but here in the last several weeks this is a fair number of such reportings.
it appears to be in the 709/740 pistols though and not any other models.
Don't mess with this gun it is extremely dangerous!
contact taurus first thing and have them pick it up.
at the first reporting I personally assumed this to be a fluke but after several reports of this it is obviously a parts/fitting problem that no one caught before they got out the door.

·
Registered
24,845 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota. Taurus will make it right for you. Don't discount the PT1911. It is a very fine weapon and very few squawks with it.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Check out the 1911 section you will find nothing but good things about them
jhp

·
Registered
99 Posts
There have been a number of threads about this issue on this forum over the past two months - seems to be a problem with some 740/709 triggers, possibly the sear. In all cases, owners have reported that Taurus has asked that the gun be shipped back for repair - this could be a dangerous malfunction.
You can find the threads by searching the product problems and the 700s forums.
I am one of the people who had this issue with a 709, I wasn't excited that my brand new gun was behaving like this but CS were on top of things and eventually made it right which took most of the sting out of it.

As advised, call them up send it back (They will pay), settle in for what feels like an eternity but is really not so bad. when you get your gun back, carefully examine every bit of it while cleaning it, first time mine came back, the poly was cracked. Afterwards, put some rounds through it.

Mine took two trips and a brand new gun but CS made it right and didn't leave me hanging and the new gun has almost 700 rounds without an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am glad I found this thread. Mine isn't a 700 series, but a 800 series instead. I took it out yesterday for the first time and put about 75 rounds through it. The double fire occurred three times. At first I thought I had done something incorrect with the handling of the firearm. However after the second and third times which happened right after each other I immediately unloaded it and put it up. Come Monday I will be contacting Taurus about this issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts